Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

Asarina scandens/Climbing Snapdragon..seeds

vera_eastern_wa
16 years ago

Good morning!

Does anyone know how long it takes to get mature seeds from these? The plants have had pods for at least 2 months, but still none of them have turned brown or dry! They still bloom at maybe one or two a day and have proven frost hardy. I'm thinking next year I'd like to keep a few from setting pods and still have healthy blooming plants this time next year, but need some mature seeds first!

The plants I tried taking inside btw, died on me. Apparently they make a good houseplant where they aren't hardy but obviously I messed that one up LOL!

Thanks,

Vera

Comments (11)

• sheltieche
    16 years ago

By the time seedheads turn brown they will disperce seeds.
    Look at those seedheads that have dark end or middle- usually they will have black seeds inside. I gathered my first asarina seeds today. Have been doing it for several years and it is ok to remove green seedpod as long as seeds inside are black.

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Linda! They do look as you describe and I'll be sure to get at these tomorrow ASAP :D

Vera

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well that didn't work! A lot of the green pods are purple...no black nothing showing from the outside...just a dark purple coloring. I picked a few and all 4 pods were VERY immature...all soft and green inside :(

Vera

• sheltieche
    16 years ago

you might want to stop watering the plant and let seedpod get ripe. Stress will quicken natural ripening process. If there are seeds inside of reasonable size but they are still green you might need to do nothing but wait another week or two at most.

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haven't watered in about a month, but it's been raining off and on since beginning of this month :(

Vera

• limequilla
    16 years ago

Vera, I swear, you are always just one step ahead of me! I was just going to ask what the hold up was on these Asarinas, and here the questions was already asked and answered! Mine don't have any purple on them at all, so I guess I have an even longer wait ahead of me.

My flowers were purple - what colors are yours? The reason I ask is because I also bought & sowed red seed, but it didn't germinate, although I treated both pots the exact same.

Lime

• sheltieche
    16 years ago

I have purple and pink varieties and pink one does get dark later than purple. Good news they come easy from your own seeds even after couple of years of storage

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They are the purple ones Lime. The trade was labeled as 'Joan Lorraine'.

Vera

• limequilla
    16 years ago

Ok. Joan Lorraine is also what I sowed. I thought the ratio of foliage to flower was too high. :)

• sheltieche
    16 years ago

same for me, it is not covered in flowers. I grow them through clematis and they start blooming when clematis going into decline, covering ugly phase.
    You might like to try mina lobata for much better flower show.

• limequilla
    16 years ago

Funny you should mention the Mina lobata -- I ws'd 3 seeds last year I got in lazyweeder's wishlist swap (they came with a note from the person fulfilling the wish that they were sorry, but they could only spare 3 seeds.) Through a series of mishaps, I only ended up with one live plant and it has taken over its alloted space and then some! Yikes! I keep thanking my lucky stars that some people send smaller seed packs because everything is growing bigger and better than expected. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had gotten, say, 15 seeds!

I heard they made good cut flowers (the foliage wilts in 5 minutes, but the flowers *do* make good cut flowers) and I wrapped a birthday present for my sister in some vines -- foliage stripped. I'm not saying Martha Stewart would approve, but it was *wild* looking! And they are so unusual looking, too, especially for this area.

I ought to put my Asarina with the Clematis -- the Clematis isn't growing as well as it should and I wonder if the black wrought iron pillars and posts I have them growing on get too hot in the summer with the sun beating down on them. ?

Lime

Sponsored