Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

OT kinda: Where is Everybody???

vera_eastern_wa
10 years ago

Doesn't seem to be much activity lately or did this forum move elsewhere since July?
Checked in today on the WS Exchange forum and just 3 messages since Jan. 6th with the most rescent posted Aug 25th!?

I'm shocked :O

Vera

Comments (50)

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    10 years ago

Yeah, I have noticed that for a while now. Not the traffic it used to have. I think many left because of pop-up ads and technical glitches. So sad. I want the old GW back!! We traded a few times and I'm still enjoying flowers from seeds you sent me, especially larkspur and catmint. I miss your beautiful photos. Hope all is well in your new environs.

Barbara in Virginia

• terrene
    10 years ago

Hi Vera, it's too bad the forum is so slow, but everything has its season I guess. I've been around GW off and on this summer, but it's been a rough time for me because I lost my Dad in August, and I miss him very much. May not be around so much on the forum, but definitely planning on doing some wsing this winter!

This post was edited by terrene on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 20:33

• northforker
    10 years ago

I think some folks may have wandered over to the WSing group on facebook. I have seen Trudi over there helping people out. I, personally, don't like they way discussions work over there as much - -the way the posts are arranged make it challenging to find anything. There is a lot of "general" gardening chatter. I like this lay out better. When this was a very active board, it provided SO MUCH help to me as I learned WSing. I can't see the facebook format doing that.

• ellenrr
    10 years ago

Terrene,
    so sorry for the loss of yr dad. Mine is 93, I am so lucky to have him around so long. I try to 'prepare' myself for him not to be around, but you know, there is just no way to prepare for that...
    This site usually slows down in the summer; I didn't realize it had slowed down SO much. I didn't know there was a fb page.
    I am on fb, but I agree with Nan, I don't think it is a good place to try to follow conversations or get help.
    Maybe this place will light up again, now that seed sharing time is here. Hope so!
    i am collecting tons of seeds. :)

ellen

• moonwolf_gw
    10 years ago

This summer was definitely busy on my end. Plus, the excess heat and humidity and lack of rain started to dry some things up, and the trailer court I live in has been placed under a water restriction because the spring the court's water comes from is going dry. However, some of us think that it's the pump itself. The local community theatre I volunteer at has been keeping me busy on Saturdays, but today is a day off.

But I digress. I am looking forward to WS this year but cutting back on the amount of containers I plan on sowing. I still have seeds to gather and flowers to clean up.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• barbe_wa
    10 years ago

I'm still here, but having to take this winter off for knee surgery. Can't get to the cold frame, which is where I work, when the winter snow hits. I'm still following the forum though as well as the facebook forum. Wintersowing has been a wonderful winter depression lifter for me for several years now. If I can't sow seeds, I can at least watch what others are doing!

• terrene
    10 years ago

Ellen, you are lucky to have him so long. My Dad was 82 and we were very close, but he had been sick for over a year. So yes I could see this coming down the road and tried to prepare, as you say. You CAN prepare somewhat - spend as much quality personal time with him as you can, ask him questions about his life, push to take care of loose ends, and mentally prepare yourself for the loss. It does help rationally, but emotionally I am still dazed and the pain is just below the surface. I proceed forward because there are many demands right now (including support for my mother) and stopping is simply not an option.

I am not on Facebook, and enjoy GW so much, in a time like this it is a great distraction.

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very sorry for the loss Terrene......

Yes, this is very sad about the forum after having been around here all these years! I am planning to wintersow, but am in need of new seed stash since most are from the 2010 harvest. I did get some seed from this year, but the variety is pitiful because of the shorter season.....flowers come late here and fall frost comes before most can set their seed....argh!! Soooooooooo would anyone be willing to help out with a SASE for seeds?
    OR I do have the following from this year:
    Blue Flax
    Coreopsis lanceolata
    Papaver somniferum 'Dutch Flag'
    Dimorphotheca (African Daisy)
    Calendula officinalis nana 'Citrus Cocktail'
    Snapdragon 'Black Prince'
    Penstemon digitalis 'Husker's Red' (not quite ready yet)

....a plethora of older seeds too lol!
    I'd welcome just about anything. I have both wet damp areas in sun AND mostly shade, and medium soils areas AND areas with very well drained soils.

Haven't checked the wintersow facebook site yet, but given the fact that I've pretty much exhausted all garden forum sites that I know of for seed exchanges, I might as well stop by :)

Vera

• kimka
    10 years ago

It seems like most of the Garden Web forums are petering out. I don't know if people have all wondered over to Facebook versions, to other websites or just too busy to be on line. I've like the posting format best here too, especially since they added the ability to edit your posts.

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PS....I forgot to add:

Hyssopus officinalis :)

• lgslgs
    10 years ago

I've dropped off to occasional reading for the past two years. Hope to see things buzzing around here as winter approaches

Nice to see familiar folks still keep an eye on the forum a bit!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

I've been dropping in off and on, its just been a much busier year than usual for me, each milestone reached and I feel like things will slow down to a more normal pace, then nothing slows...

We moved last Thanksgiving - upsized not down, both house and garden. My gardening has been mostly cutting, hauling, weeding, spading - never dreamed it would take me this long to get beds and property in shape but I'm finding I need DH's weight on shovel and power saw and he's still working 4 days a week so not always available when I want him. Then there's been weddings, reunions, other commitments, I had the former house to update to sell (and it sold :)). The day we were going to the title company to close on our house, my mother called and said her doctor had asked her not to drive temporarily (and temporarily turned into 6 months although she has resumed driving now), so she's needed more help than usual these last months. 86 and 2 hours away.

I'll do a little winter sowing this year but I'm turning to more shrubs, trees than perennials, and I brought a lot of my favorite perennials with me that have been in pots for almost a year. I'm just getting to the point I can plant them. Landscape here was mature (1955) but tired (that translates to backhoe and dump truck) and the ivy had run amok :) even with my daily deer eating it - who knew they like ivy.

Terrene, I so sorry to read of your loss, please accept my sympathies.

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    10 years ago

Vera, I sent you an email. I hope you're still monitoring this thread in case the email from GW aborts. Anyway, I have seeds for SASE.

Barbara in Virginia

• PVick
    10 years ago

I lurk from time to time.This has been a crummy gardening year for me. For the first time in 15 years, I have no tomatoes!!! Don't know what happened, but my two tomatoes plants just died: first one, then the other followed it about a month later.
    I did not sow much else this year, but I had volunteers - petunias and 4 o'clocks. ALL over the place. Even had a really robust petunia plant growing out of the bottom hole (side) of a pot. Didn't know it was there at first, cause it was growing behind the pot, over the terrace edge. How did it manage that?
    I'm planning on doing some fall sowing and a little WSing too this year. Hopefully next year will be a better one.

PV

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Just to say hello here (usually hanging about over on antique roses but been having a native/wildflower/woodland focus this year). Um, I guess for a lot of people, it isn't really winter and so they are not sowing anything yet. I find, though, that this is a busy sowing time here in the UK. Having attempted a modified milk jug method (long story of hubris and idleness), I quickly went back to straightforward sowing in pots and trays. I find I am sowing some seed just about every month. Right now, I have just sown the sweet peas alongside 50 or so different perennials, including, for the first time, trees and shrubs. Most, but not all, will overwinter in the cold greenhouse while a number of pots will sit outside against the glasshouse wall. By the end of October, it will mainly be pruning, dividing (some) and hardwood cuttings and sowing will drop off until January - when a new round begins.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I suspect Facebook is the biggest reason things have slowed down so much all over Gardenweb. I really don't want to join Facebook, because it can get overwhelming. My kids actually registered me, so I have an account, but I've never used it. Still, I get frequent email reminders that so-and-so has asked to be my friend, or someone has posted pictures I should look at. I don't have time to get to my work email, let alone personal stuff! But, it is becoming a central communication spot because it is efficient. I will be winter sowing, and I have lots of seeds to trade or donate, though most are natives for the butterflies. Hope many of you continue to hang around. I'll keep checking in for my therapy. LOL

Martha

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I drop in to see what is happening here now and again. Mostly I've been hanging out in the perennials forum which is more active than most of the other forums I check. Agree that many have gone to Facebook which I do not frequent. Sad that activity on GW has slowed so much.

Sorry for those who have recently lost parents. My mother died in January and though it was expected and a blessing sometimes out of the blue I think "Mom is gone" and the loss is keenly felt. We are now the "older generation" .

• ladygladys
    10 years ago

Vera, just a heads up that I sent you an email about a possible trade!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I spent three winters on this forum, winter sowing, and having a great time. Then I had as many plants as I needed in my garden. Dividing what I have is about all IâÂÂve needed at this point. But I ripped out a lot of plants that I was sick of this Fall and I am considering growing more annuals next year, so maybe some winter sowing this winter. No time for seed trading though.

Sorry to see so much inactivity here, but last year when I stopped in, it seemed pretty quiet too. Also not a fan of FB.

Terrene, so sorry to hear about your Dad. What can be worse than losing a parent. He was lucky to have you and that you had the presence of mind to think to ask him about his life and take care of loose ends. I canâÂÂt believe how much I didnâÂÂt think of asking when I had my parents. I wish I had made a video of them talking about their lives, and how they felt and what they thought. I donâÂÂt normally feel that life is better with technology, but in this one instance, people today are so lucky to have so many easy ways to create videos.

Mnwsgal, sorry about the loss of your Mom too. It is a very strange feeling to be the âÂÂolder generationâÂÂ, I agree.

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 6:33

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Terrene and Mnswgal, so sorry for your loss. I lost my mom last summer. It was sudden and no time to prepare, not that that preparation helped when my dad died in '99.

I'm not a fan of facebook, either, but so many people seem to use it as their primary means of communicating life events -- my sisters do, always posting photos and such. I just look at it as a big time sucker so I don't go on much.

Brad, hard to believe you had a dry summer in central PA. Here in the eastern end it was very wet, especially early, and the tomatoes really suffered.

As for being on this site, I wax and wane. I tend to use it more in the winter and early spring then drop off over the summer.

Caryl

• bakemom_gw
    10 years ago

i spend a lot of time on fb. Good to see you there the other day, Vera. Once the solstice starts, i am more active on Garden web.

• ellenrr
    10 years ago

vera, I will be seed-sharing. I will post a list of what I have.

seed-sharing thru WS was how I got such interesting plants that I would have not known about. Now the ones that I had got are gone, am certainly hoping for more.

ellen

• mechele211
    10 years ago

I haven't done any WS the last two winters. But since I have recently gotten much more interested in native plants I have been collecting seeds of natives and will be starting those this winter. Some of my previously winter sown plants will be coming out to make room for my newest obsession.
    I am on FB but I just barely skim the WS group on there. I don't find it very useful. There are over 3000 members of the group and I suspect very many of them don't even know about the GW forums and how beneficial they really are. Maybe we need to start a campaign to lure people back over here!

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I like Mechele's idea to lure people back here.

Martha

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    10 years ago

Hi guys, I am really looking forward to winter sowing this year. I've been ws-ing for 3 years and it really helps me in the dreary wintery months. I am hoping to get some great winter sow seeds from my favorite round robin. You have until November 8th to get your seeds sent to this amazing Round Robin swap. Visit the Round Robin Exchange -NEW: 2013 Everything Goes Back to School Fresh Seed Swap.
    If you want to trade for anything on my trade list, you can contact me, too.
    Wishing everyone here a great winter sow season!
    Jen from the Eastern Shore of MD

Here is a link that might be useful: NEW: 2013 Everything Goes Back to School Fresh Seed Swap

• ellenrr
    10 years ago

well, I just went to a political forum I frequent (occasionally) and they have a garden forum (non-political. lol) and I asked if there were any WS'ers there.
    I linked to this site. hope it sends some folk over here.

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

Terrene, sorry for your loss. I hope all is well. You are such a treasure on the GW. I am in my last year of school, so my garden looks a wreck and stressed from school. I should be back soon. There are a lot of people following Trudi on WSing page. A lot of people there and on the seed traders page. Maybe you all can persuade them to come back.

• jessewo
    10 years ago

I admit I haven't been around much-I filled my space w/WS perennials, I had to move from where my shade garden was & that process was so much work that all I could do was plant the babies I moved from the old place! But now that I know what I have to work with, I hope to get back into it this winter!

Sorry to hear that Facebook is impacting us here-I also refuse to play (for many reasons!) and I remember how much I've learned here-this has always been a positive and nurturing place!

• moonwolf_gw
    10 years ago

Caryl, we had a rainy early spring, and then it just turned hot once it was May and we had a pretty dry summer as a result. We've had some rain this fall, but it's too late now since most of the flowers have died for the season and the trees have dropped most of their leaves.

Terrene and mnswgal, so sorry for both of your losses. Losing someone close to you is never easy.

I, too, linger on Facebook perhaps far too often. It does have it's advantages and disadvantages like everything else, but isn't that how it usually goes? GW was my first semi-social networking experience and it's been nothing but good to me.

I have to gather some seeds yet as most of the seedpods on my milkweeds have split open and started to scatter all over the place. In a way, it does my heart good to see that because of the Monarchs, and, of which I've only seen a few this year and that was the middle of last month. I've also been browsing Swallowtail Garden Seeds and Renee's Garden to get some ideas.
    Next year, we're gonna put in an arbor in the one new flowerbed (there are two; one for me and one for my mom) mom and I did this past spring/summer. Thinking of putting a climbing rose on it, but I am not sure yet.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• katbird
    10 years ago

I had been thinking of GW for the past week, I have been missing from it for the past three years.
    I have moved, twice and getting ready to move again at the middle of this month, I had downsized previous and now will be upsizing.in the new location and there are no flower beds at all so I will be visiting the ws and the seeds exchange more frequently.
    I lost the desire to garden during the past three years,
    I lost my father sept 1, 2012 and lost my older sister on april 6th 2013, after long illness and several months spent in assisted living for my father and months in the hospital with both my father and sister.
    it has been a tough past year, but thinking about my sister and her love of flowers has gotten me motivated again. So hopefully those that remember me from years ago will vouch for me when I want to do trades. I don't even have any house plants, that is how bad my depression became!
    I am so glad that gardenweb is still here, and maybe the activity will increase here and move back over from facebook, I have a facebook account and check it every day, it is how I stay in touch with my children, daughter 35 and son 30. and they always remind me not to refer to them as kids lol.! Like that is gonna happen!!
    Anyway, I will be spending alot of my time reading the posts and checking out all the forums on here.., basically lurking lol till
    I get a layout in my head on how to do the new place floer beds,
    see lots of ornamental grasses and hosta first off,
    will be moving in with my younger sister and she is allurgic to bees so I have to be careful on what
    I plant, love old fashioned roses .. we will see

Wishing everyone a blessed and fruitful winter!
    Kathy aka katbird

ps., my page hasn;t been updated so if you look at it before
    I get it corrected, please keep in mind I have no seeds or plants, I will be starting over from nothing.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    10 years ago

Welcome Back Kathy, Sorry about your losses. I hope your future gardening ventures help lift your spirits. What zone/state are you moving to? I may have something you might want to winter sow. Please take a look at my seed list and let me know if you want any of my flower seeds for your new gardens. I have a huge surplus of seeds I can part with and a few stamped mailers.
    Remember the Chinese Proverb-
    He who plants a garden, plants happiness,
    Jen R.
    PS. Please make sure your sister keep an Epi Pen with her at all times.

• katbird
    10 years ago

Jensyen:

I sent you email!

thank you, Katbird

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    10 years ago

Let's see, what have I been up to....

In February, my company closed my office and moved me from PA to NC.

Did about 5 years of upgrade to the old house in about 5 months.

Had some adventures with real estate agents but found a good one now.

Had to find a new house that we could afford in NC.

Mom died, for whom I was primary caregiver. Lotta goodbyes this year.

Moved to Raleigh area.

Used up all my vacation during home upgrade/house hunting/move and working a lot of overtime.

Won't really have much time to spend outside or catch up on the forums until January. Finding it really weird to think that there will probably be plenty of non-frigid days in January to putter around outside in.

I have learned so much through this forum and it's still one of my favs.

Lois (formerly in PA)

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I'm hoping to have a busy winter of sowing. I'm embarking on a woodland transformation and need to rid several acres of garlic mustard and replace the GM with shade tolerant natives that will attract beneficial pollinators to restore the diversity to my wild woodlands. I've purchased quite a few native seeds from Prairiemoon Nursery, and hope to get them established out back. I'm considering building a protective cage over part of the plantings to keep the deer out while the seedlings get some size on. Has anyone had success with such a setup? After the holidays, I'll get started with container prep.

Martha

• kimka
    10 years ago

Martha,

The parks people do that all the time here with new plantings. They build deer fencing (meaning either a double fenced area or one with with the top slanted out to keep the deer from jumping in or a very tall flexible fencing taller than the deer will jump) as a two year measure to let young trees and shrubs get some growth on them. You usually either have to mulch around the trees and shrubs too or do a little weed whacking at some point to keep the weeds from growing more than person high within the fence too.)

I did it last year to get a redbud and a dogwood a good running start too.

• ellenrr
    10 years ago

Katbird,
    so sorry for your losses.

I have lots of seeds but haven't categorized them yet. Please send me an e-mail in about a week to remind me, and I will tell you what I have.

Nice to see more action on this site!

ellen

• katbird
    10 years ago

Jensyen, received your packets of seeds and am delighted in them!!
    I left you positive rating and again thank you for your generosity!

Katbird

• sassybutterfly_2008
    10 years ago

I am hoping that if I post some info on the WinterSwap on the WS FB forum that it might lure some people back over here. I will check with Trudi and make sure that is ok to do first though. I agree it has been so much slower around here now tho. I hope we can drum up some enthusiasm and lure some ppl back over! Even some new participants!

~Sassyb

• pitimpinai
    10 years ago

So very sorry for your loss, mnwsgal & terrene. :-(

I still check in once in a while. I am not on facebook much either.

My garden is so stuffed I have done very little WS the past 3 winters. I only tidy up my garden a few times a season now,
    thin out existing perennials and replace some with large hostas for bolder statement.

I am also focusing more on my vegetable garden.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Taking a break from the Christmas madness to see what's going on and it's so quiet everywhere on GW. Everyone must be as busy as we've been with the holidays. I didn't realize this thread kept going. Nice to see new posts. Sad to see so many people struggling with losses and interesting that gardening continues to call so many back to it. Katbird and Lois, you've had a rough time of it. I hope the next growing season will bring some positive energy back into your life. :-)

Nice to see you pitimpinai! :-) Always enjoyed photos of your garden. I'm going to be focusing more on my vegetable garden next season too. I hope to do over all my raised beds and add a few more. Try to produce a little more. I haven't really used the WS method much in the vegetable garden, have you?

• daisydawnny
    10 years ago

Glad to see folks posting here...I do not FB. Last year was rough, dealing with an illness that took the wind right out of my sails. I had to force myself to do the little Winter Sowing I did. (My DH and DD were baffled that I did not go into my crazy Winter Sowing mode) Feeling better every day now. I plan to do some seed shipping this afternoon. Hope Santa brings me some potting soil, lol. Looking forward to this season. Happy Winter Sowing everyone!

• vvesper
    10 years ago

Daisydawnny, hope you are feeling much better now!

For katbird, terrene, mnwsgal and lois - I am so sorry for your losses.

I was always more of a lurker than a poster, but I have so enjoyed this site and got alot of great plants by ws! FB is not the same - I can barely find new messages or postings on it, let alone do the searching that was so invaluable to me in learning about ws. I really don't even like it for socializing. Who cares if I'm going to the store? Does everyone really want a picture of my life every 15 minutes? No one wants to be that bored!!!

I am one of the many who has not done as much gardening the past few years. I lost my mom unexpectedly in 2011 and my dad after a long bout of cancer in 2012. So what little attention and energy I have had have been elsewhere.

While my flower beds are reasonably full, I do plan to ws a few things this year - annuals and such - to fill in gaps. I want to get back to digging in the dirt regularly and taking better care of them. I think it will make for a very happy spring and summer. :- )))))))

• vvesper
    10 years ago

Daisydawnny, hope you are feeling much better now!
    For katbird, terrene, mnwsgal and lois - I am so sorry for your losses.

I was always more of a lurker than a poster, but I have so enjoyed this site and got alot of great plants by ws! FB is not the same - I can barely find new messages or postings on it, let alone do the searching that was so invaluable to me in learning about ws. I really don't even like it for socializing. Who cares if I'm going to the store? Does everyone really want a picture of my life every 15 minutes? No one wants to be that bored!!!

I am one of the many who has not done as much gardening the past few years. I lost my mom unexpectedly in 2011 and my dad after a long bout of cancer in 2012. So what little attention and energy I have had have been elsewhere.

While my flower beds are reasonably full, I do plan to ws a few things this year - annuals and such - to fill in gaps. I want to get back to digging in the dirt regularly and taking better care of them. I think it will make for a very happy spring and summer. :- )))))))

• ellenrr
    10 years ago

vvesper,
    sorry for the loss of both of your parents.
    that has got to be so hard.

My step-mother died last week. She had advanced alzheimers, used to kick my father, and ask him why he was stealing from her. This to the man who at age 93, kept her at home and was selflessly devoted to her. I hope he gets to enjoy some years.

• vvesper
    10 years ago

So sorry, ellenrr - I hope your dad gets some good years, too. God bless him for making what must have been a huge sacrifice to keep her at home.

Here's hoping that all of us get happiness and healing from our gardens this year!

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and words regarding my mother's death. It has been just a year this week and I think of her often with good memories of hours spent in her vegetable gardens. She loved columbines and I will ws several varieties in her memory this winter.

In the cycle of life we all say goodbye to loved ones. Be gentle with yourselves as you mourn and know that there are many here who understand and are thinking of you.

May you all have a successful and joyful winter sowing season.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Hi guys, checking back now after a couple months to read more of the thread, and wanting to say thanks for the condolences and kind words for the loss of my father - it is very thoughtful, and definitely helps in the grieving process, which I am still going through.

My sympathies to those who have also had losses of their loved ones.

I am getting geared up for doing some sowing soon. I don't plan to do a lot of perennials but may do a shrub or tree here or there (such as Cornus florida, flowering Dogwood). But will do lots of annuals and veggies in the Spring.

• ellenrr
    10 years ago

I feel like I kinda deserted you'all cuz I been on the fb page. :) But on fb seem to be mostly new people, so I'm back here. Some of you I feel like I've gotten to know.

I haven't WS'ed yet, I WS annuals, so will wait til March. It was warm enough for me to go to my garden today, so I've been dreaming of Spring.

• patrushka
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I have not checked in here for a long time. A question from my sister about winter sowing tomatoes brought me here today.

I am so sorry for all of you who have lost loved ones.

I lost my dad in September of 2005. My oldest son was in a motorcycle accident two days later. I found the winter sowing forum sometime after that. I did my first winter sowing in February of 2006. My dad loved growing things. Winter sowing, for me, was a connection to my dad. It helped me through the grieving process. I have been doing it ever since.

It's great to see all of the familiar names on this thread. I haven't WS'd yet but I plan to. It's just too cold out right now.

• ellenrr
    10 years ago

hi Patrushka,
    welcome back. I also find connection thru WS and thru gardening, in my case to my mother. She died 40 years ago, but I miss her every day. she loved everything that grew.

I haven't got myself to start either, too cold to go outside if I don't have to. Here in NJ, supposedly the deep freeze should end by the end of this week. Today is forecast below-zero temps with the wind chill factor.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?