Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

Planning need input

marquest
12 years ago

I have winter sowed before but every year since I collect the bottles but do not get around to doing what I want to do again. It turned out so well the one time I did this process.

So my problems are and this is what I am doing now. I welcome suggestions of what others do.

-Winter is my busy time. Holidays, I have a lot of activity during the winter. Parties begin Dec through Jan. Then comes Feb Valentine. Yes entertain during Valentine. I set my life up to fill up the winter years ago so I would not get bored during the Winter. So it does not leave me time to winter sow. Before I know it March has arrived and I take a vacation to a warm island. When I come back before I know it April is here.

Fix.....My thoughts are below.

--------------------------------------------------------

-Do not have time to do the project.

Fix....Starting now by cutting the bottles.

-Soil everywhere trying to empty big bag of soil in the house.

Fix...... Filling the bottles half way with the soil now outside.

Place the seed packet on top and when ready sprinkle the seeds and put some soil on top of the seeds.

-Labels

Fix.....Make the labels now as I fill the containers. Place them in the bottle with the seeds.

OK that is some of the problems I have had. Do you have any pre-prep I can do now while I am warm and have the time.

Comments (6)

• linda_jo
    12 years ago

Hi Marquest. I start my sowing spreadsheet list now as I gather my seeds. Then when I sow I note the date. When I see germination I note that date as well. Last year when I discovered I hadn't labeled several jugs I figured out what they were with my list and the ones I did label. Be sure to leave jugs out where mother nature can water them a little in case you are away traveling. You shouldn't have to remove or bend back the tops until you return from the warm island(aren't you blessed!) In zone 5 I don't know when it starts staying warm all day. Don't try to sow all at once. I drag out the fun and do a couple each night until I make myself stop. This will only be my 2nd year and I know others more experienced will have great input. It is so much fun. Don't give up.

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

April is still winter sowing here. I also spring and summer sow. You can spread it out if you want.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

According to wintersown.org, it's okay to continue winter sowing until you don't need a jacket or sweater when you go outdoors in the evening. Last year I was still wearing multiple layers of polar fleece well into May. You don't need to stop when it's no longer cold outside; you just need to realize that you're not winter sowing at that point. As bakemom points out, there's always spring sowing and summer sowing. It's the same method, just with a few vent holes poked around the top of the jug.

The trick is to see what works best with your schedule and your priorities, then fit winter/spring/summer sowing in with your other activities when it's most convenient. The sprouts can't read a calendar or a clock so I'm guessing they won't care if they germinate in July or August instead of May or June.

As linda_jo suggested, keep a journal of what you do, when you do it + your results so you can tweak the method as needed. I was a newbie two years ago but have spent quite a lot of time and effort rethinking & streamlining how I approach WS. It's a proven method of growing from seed. How you implement the method is entirely of your own choosing.

• northforker
    12 years ago

You can make your "outside of the container" labels in advance as well if you use foil tape, because it has a backing (unlike duct tape). While your at it, make a cut up ventian blind inside tag or two with the writing done in BLACK paint pen and put the whole set together with the seed pack.

One other thing though - you CAN change entertaining traditions! The only person you are obligated to entertain on Valentines day is your sweetheart (and the house doesn't have to be spotless for that..;)) I am slowly changing my Christmas traditions as I see that all the hoop-la I've created over the years leaves me too spent to focus on what's important. I didn't send cards last year and the sky is still up there! I'm not sending them this year either....

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

I find it best not to think of winter sowing as a project to be completed all at once. It is a process. Much like you I also entertain a lot, and go to a warm island each winter, so I prepare my bottles a few at a time during the late summer. Mine will all soon be ready. I also make my own labels from any white detergent/laundry softener bottles while watching TV. At the moment I am re-cycling labels from prior years (I use the Lee Valley marker which lasts for years). I just do about 4 bottles at a time. Fill, water, and leave to drain before dinner. Sow, label, place outside after dinner. Be sure to keep a journal of what, when, and leave a space for comments. If you start after Christmas, you'll be able to do 100 jugs easily. Just take it slowly and don't panic...it's supposed to be fun. Hope this helps.
    Northerner.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

I was having the same concern about time. I was thinking of switching to clear plastic cups which I could have labeled, filled with "dirt", sowed-but-not-watered, and stacked in the basement. Once the weather gets cold, I can water, cover, and stick outside. I haven't decided to do this, but it was an idea you could consider.

Martha

Sponsored