Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT: Anyone grow Solomon's Seal?

Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 11:52

I got a variegated Solomon's Seal this year; the one stalk flowered and the plant has been doing fine. Until the winds last week. The one stalk has been half-sheared very close to the soil line - not completely severed, but almost.

My questions: should I take that stalk and try to root it, or will I be wasting my time? Does this plant die down to the ground in winter? Will it have a chance to return next year?

I've wanted this plant for a long while, and really don't want to lose it.

Thanks for any help/advice ....

PV

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT: Anyone grow Solomon's Seal?

I say cut it back. The plant should be going dormant soon anyway, for winter. They are very hardy plants (great for dry shade!) and will come back without a problem for you next year.

I bought my variegated Solomon's Seal (Polygonatum odoratum 'Veriegata') a number of years ago. At the time I thought the $9 for one shoot seemed like a lot. The next year I had five shoots. Now I have a large patch too big to count the number of shoots! Never fear, your SS will come back bigger and better next year ;-)
CMK

o

I don't have the variegated one and I didn't plant the plain green one that's growing here but it comes back every year and produces two stems. They're loaded with red berries at the moment but I read they're nearly impossible to grow from seed. It does appear to be going dormant so I'd guess yours is as well PV.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 14:48

I think it's late to try for a cutting too, and cuttings aren't as reliable as division and seed anyway.

If the seed is fresh, it's not that difficult - just maybe slow, its not one to give up on and toss the pot first season assuming its a no-show. Clean off the pulp, sow within just a few days of harvesting if you can. Germination may take place in Spring, or they could be slower and take multiple cycles of varying temps and not germinate for a year.

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 15:29

How do you spell relief? P-l-a-n-t--s-a-v-e-d! (Sorry - that old Rolaids commercial just popped into my head.)

Thanks for the info - I'll cut off the stem and put the plant to bed.

PV

o

PV, the leaves die off anyway. I cut mine almost to the ground in fall. They'll come back nice and strong next year, and they spread quickly. Mine were a division from Pitimpinai several years ago. I have divided that several times since, moving a piece to another area of my yard, and also shared some with a gardener friend.

Karen

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 8:29

Thanks, Karen. Good to know I can salvage this plant, since it's one of the few I plan to take with me when I leave here.

PV

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here