Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

Soil and Seeds

trudi_d
14 years ago

This is a continuation of my FAQ reposts. Please comment as you need and want.

======================

Soil. Seeds. Water. That's what you need.

It doesn't take much to start a batch of seedlings. You need a sowing medium of soil, compost, or a soilless mix usually made from peat moss and vermiculite or perlite, you need seeds, and water. Mother Nature will provide the sunshine and most often she will provide rain or melting snows to keep the soil moist.

========================

Sowing Depth

{{gwi:345947}}

Question:

I trade for many of my seeds and sometimes the sowing depth is not included on the packet. What is the correct depth that I should sow my seeds?

Answer:

I sow my seeds twice as deep as the seed's smallest dimension.

As examples:

Foxglove seeds are the size of dust, so just pat them into the soil surface.

Columbine seeds are the size of fleas, so just pat them into the soil surface.

Grass is small and narrow too, so just pat those seeds into the soil surface.

Marigolds may be a 1/2 inch long but they are narrow and flat, sow them just under the soil surface.

Cornflower seed is a 1/16 of an inch wide, sow them an 1/8th inch under the soil surface.

Next size up would be a Coneflower seed, sow about a 1/4 inch under the soil.

Pea or a Corn seed is getting bigger. They are about a 1/4 inch across, sow them about a 1/2 inch deep.

A Lima Bean seed is bigger, sow about 3/4 of an inch deep.

A Scarlet Runner bean is quite plump, that should be sown a full inch down.

An Acorn? Well, hmm.....how deep is squirrel depth?

===============

Types of Soil

{{gwi:439346}}

Question:

What type of soil can I use in the flats?

Answer:

Any potting medium will work. Mixes with soil for potting or "soilless mixes" both work fine.

Avoid soil bags that say "weed-free" because they can contain chemicals mixed into the soil to keep any weed seeds from germinating. Unfortunately, this keeps ALL seeds from germinating, including the seeds you sow in that soil.

What's MY favorite? I like the most economical one I can find. I do a LOT of Winter Sowing...it's fun and is very addictive. So I look for the biggest and largest bag of soil I can find. It's an economical choice to get the biggest bag because it costs less per pound or quart. Plus, with more soil, I can sow more flats!

==========================

Using Compost:

Use can use compost for sowing after you kill the weeds seeds.

{{gwi:439347}}

I have used homemade compost to sow seeds in. Compost is great, it's rich in nutrients and retains moisture very well. The only drawback is that it can also contain plenty of seeds.

It's easy to kill those weed seeds. Fill a 5-gallon bucket halfway up with compost (or use whatever large container you have on hand.) Have the bucket of compost outside, but closest to your kitchen door. In the kitchen bring a full kettle of water to boil. When the kettle is boiling, remove it from the flame and take it outside. Carefully and slowly, to avoid splashing, pour the boiling water into the bucket of compost.

Put a lid on the bucket....it doesn't have to be on tight, it's just to help hold the heat and steam in as long as it can. The boiling water and steam will kill the weed seeds. If you don't have a lid for the bucket then use a large piece of aluminum foil, or use an old towel or blanket draped over the top.

Let the bucket of compost sit overnight so it is cool when used the next day. You can now use the compost for sowing seeds confident that the weed seeds have been killed. Also, another benefit of the boiling water treatment is that it will kill many soilborne diseases that might exist in the compost.

=======================

Moisture and Watering

Question:

How can I tell when my flats need moisture?

{{gwi:439348}}

Flats that are sufficiently moist will show condensation inside their lids.

If you are not seeing condensation it could be that you have too many vents for air transpiration or too many drainage holes, or possibly, because the flats are in a mostly shaded location they are not warming much inside and so no steamy vapor can rise to adhere to the lid's inner surface. You can tape over a few slits...see if that alters the condensation effect.

Moist soil is dark looking.... like the color of a cooked very-fudgy brownie. Dry soil looks dry.... it is far lighter in color and that color reminds me of a package of dry chocolate cake mix.

To add more water to a flat remove its cover and gently dribble in some cold water....don't slosh it onto the soil surface as that could dislodge the seeds or seedlings. Give the soil a good soaking, any excess water will seep out through the drainage slits. Replace the lids promptly and securely.

{{gwi:439349}}

To add more water to a flat made from a bottle simply tilt the bottle at a slight angle, then gently and slowly dribble some water into the bottle, the water will run down the inside of the bottle wall and won't splash directly onto the soil surface.

A large amount of flats may be watered at the same time by letting them soak in a small kiddie pool that has been pre-filled with a couple of inches of water. Place the flats gently into the water to avoid splashing. The flats will soak up moisture though their drainage slits. Remove them after the soil is consistantly dark and moist.

If you are traveling or must be away on a hot Spring day you can help your flats stay moist and cool by placing them in the kiddie pool with an inch of water for the day, or purchase a hose timer and use a sprinkler to automatically and regularly water the flats.

===================

Sowing Hybrid Seeds

Growing plants from hybrid seeds is lots of fun because you can sometimes get variations that are quite wonderful. You NEVER get little "Frankenstein-Monster" plants, lol.

{{gwi:439350}}
Illustration:

Monstroflora trudimakus ssp. happihalloweenus

Comments (8)

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Winter Sowing Hybrid Seeds Continued

Hybrids may or may not come true from seed. The flower colors might be somewhat different, or the shape or count of the petals might be different, or the leaves might be more shiny, or a little less pointed, the height might be different by a few inches, etc. These are all of the probable expected differences you might see....if you notice any differences at all. You've got a 1:3 ratio* that the seedlings can show a difference from the parent plant.

Plants produced from the seeds a hybrid plant are actually a lot like the children of one couple. Sometimes they are all identical...each child's face has the same features as its brothers and sisters, or sometimes each child is different* and looks like any of the grandparents, or even the great-grandparents.

Enjoy growing the seeds of a hybrid plant. When the seedlings grow to maturity you may find that you're in love with the whole batch, or some may be more appealing to you than others. Keep your favorites and share or compost the rest.
    ==========================

What is Stratification

Question:

What does stratification mean?

The Merriam-Webster definition of the VERB "Stratify" is:
    to form, deposit, or arrange in strata.

{{gwi:439351}}

How does it relate to seeds?

Imagine that a plant has set seeds, and the seeds have matured and fallen onto the ground. Perhaps some leaves have fallen over the seeds covering them, or an animal has passed by and kicked up some dirt and sand covering them, or maybe just the frost has heaved the surface of the soil, it has melted back down, and the seeds have nestled into the mud. Eventually the seeds will be a part of the soil, layered into it.

As the season of Winter begins and autumn ends there will be repeated frosts and thaws, and eventually, the temperatures will become so cold that ground will be frozen for the long duration of the Winter season. During this time the seeds are at rest in the soil....they are (in effect) sleeping for the Winter.

At the end of Winter will be the same repeat process of thaws and freezes, but the days will get longer, and the air will get warmer, and eventually the ground will permanently thaw when the season of Spring has arrived.

It is this repeated thawing and freezing, with a period of dormancy (the sleep of the seeds), and then more thawing and freezing followed by warming sun that triggers the germination of the seeds. Mother Nature's seeds often need to "sleep before they wake" and natural stratification provides that.

Outdoor seedlings germinate at their own right time, they are not forced by the unnatural aspect of being germinated indoors. They are born hardy to their local climate and will thrive from the moment of germination.
    ===================

The link below leads you to this grouping of FAQs. Each individual page, below "Tip", has some URLS which will lead to you more information.

T

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago
  • trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

New forum posters may find this info valuable.

• karendee
    14 years ago

Thanks Trudi! This was a nice lesson for me. I needed a refresher.

Karen

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Me too, lol!

I just obtained, ehem, a large and very deep translucent container and when I was scavenging admiring it for possibilities, I immediately thought of squirrel-depth!

I've never had great writing skills, but at least I'm good at getting the point across. God bless cheezey clipart. Sigh.

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

The refresher course here on forum is very useful.

Thanks, Trudi.

A bit at a time seems to sink into middle aged head better.

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Hi Trudi,

I have a question about soil.

I have a lot of leftover Sta-Green Seed and Sod Starting Soil from my wintersowing last year. I have one full bag which I know I can use with no problem.

I have a lot of this soil that I used last year - either there was leftover soil in the container when I planted out or some of the containers never germinated. I have all of this soil in large "tote" bins in the yard. Of course leave, acorns, sticks, etc. have fallen in there. I plan to crinkle up the leave and remove the acorns, sticks, etc. before using it.

Would you suggest that I use the boiling water technique for that soil to ensure I don't have weeds sprouting up with my plants? Also, can I do this now and reserve the soil for late in December when I start sowing seeds or should I wait until I'm actually ready to start sowing? I see the benefit of waiting - the soil will be moist and I won't have to wet it again. Whereas doing it now would most likely require that I moisten the soil again. If I wait to do it, I guess I could go ahead and clean out the soil now (prevent any acorns sprouts, etc.) and put the lids on to prevent further things from getting in there. Although, maybe I should clean the soil and pour in boiling water now and apply the lids. Then use the boiling water technique again before I sow my seeds?

BTW - my totes have holes drilled in the bottom and in the lid so they will sort of act as a compost bin, so maybe I should leave the small sticks and leaves in for now to boost my soil?

Oh yea, fertilizing. I don't really need that until I have germination right? I have organic liquid fertilizer that I can mix when bottom watering, but do I need to add the fertilizer at the time I sow the seeds too?

Thanks!
    Diana

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Diana,

I would treat the soil now giving it plenty of time to cool and drain, and if you want after one treatment and cool down, stir it to bring the soil at the bottom of the containers to the top and do it again. I have no problem with detritus in the soil, just sow around it or pick it off the top of the flat so you have a smooth sowing surface.

When you're using plain soil or a sowing medium you will need to start with very weak fertilizer after germination. If you're sowing in a Miracle-Grow type fertilizer enhanced soil you don't have to do anything for food. A lot of people are concerned that the fertilizer might damage the roots of the seedlings but because it's slow-release fertilizer it very weak and doesn't cause problems.

T

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH