Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_addict88

Collecting Balloon Flower Seeds

flower_addict88
14 years ago

I could have sworn that I posted this, but can't find it anywhere. So excuse me if I did already post this, I must be losing my mind....

I want to collect Balloon Flower seeds from my plants. I have let a few of them go to seed and didnt deadhead them. However, I picked one off and busted the bottom part open. It was full of wet looking, small white seeds. They must have not been ready yet?

Am I even looking in the right place for the seeds?

Thanks,

Danielle

Comments (7)

• bigred
    14 years ago

It's a tulip shaded seed pod. Seeds are ready when pod has turned brown and beginning to open. Hold pod upside down over cup or other container,slightly rotate pod between thumb and index finger while apply gentle pressure to sides to loosen seeds from sides.

Peggy

• flower_addict88
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aaahhh okay, so those are the seed pods. They just aren't ripe yet. The seed pods are still green.

Will a frost harm them? We had frost two nights in a row, but it didnt bother my balloon flowers. Now the nights are warmer.

Danielle

• northerner_on
    14 years ago

Teh seed pods are ripe when they turn brown and at least when the stem to which they are attached turns brown. I don't think a freeze will kill them off because they are hardy perennials, but I have taken a few in when greenish and they dried indoors and produced lots of seed. Beware, one seed pod produces lots of seed.

• flower_addict88
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I noticed that when I busted one open. A lot of seeds fell out. These plants bloom like crazy. It may be awhile before their stems turn brown. If I can get seeds from a blue and a white than that means less seeds to buy. I will only buy pink and lavendar seeds, and I am thinking of trying some of the doubles.

I was going to order them in bareroot again, but will try from seed.

Danielle

• bigred
    14 years ago

I have pink,if you'd like to set up a trade. Click on "My Page" then click on the link"see my home page" for my trade page.

Peggy

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

from The Seed Site:

Pod:

Seeds: "Small, black, shiny drops"

• bookjunky4life
    14 years ago

I have collected tons of purple seeds. I think I picked every single pod off of three or more plants.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm