Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontheteam

Montauk Daisy... I am lusting after this plant

ontheteam
13 years ago

So any one got seeds? or cuttings? I am madly in love w/ this plant that I am seeing allover the place in yards...but of people I do not know.... So I am hoping me fellow seed addicts can help me out.... .

Comments (22)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I don't have any montauk but I have plenty of shasta daisy becky if you would like to try some of those. Becky does not flop and it is all neat and conformed one of my favorite taller versions of shasta daisy that are pure white single blooms. Mine get to about 3' tall. They are also evergreen here in my zone.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

ontheteam,

I brought a division to Annies swap this year...maybe next spring I'll have more. Remind me!

Lisa

• drippy
    13 years ago

How brave are you, ontheteam? Montauk daisies usually grow so well their owners are constantly dividing them, and the people you don't know might well consider it a blessing if you mentioned that you were interested in a division if they are dividing them. They are bulletproof, too - I brought a division of a division to SC, and subsequently to AL, where it bloomed in the pot it had sat out in through the 90+ degree summer. It's in the ground now, and blooming even more!

• Pamchesbay
    13 years ago

I was interested too and looked it up. Seed is hard to find but the plant is easy (some say too easy) to grow by cuttings and divisions. Last week, I picked up three Montauk daisies at Lowes and plan to divide them. A lady in line said she bought ONE plant last year, is giving them away to all takers. This what I read about propagating:

"The Montauk daisy can be planted from seed but is usually planted from cuttings. Seeds can be hard to come by .. .It is an easy plant to propagate from cuttings ... Stick a dozen cuttings in pots filled with a mixture of sand, compost, a dash of rooting hormone ... Find a shady part of the garden ... before you know it you should have well-rooted plants, probably 12 of them."

Since you need to cut it back a couple of times before it blooms in the fall, if you have one, you'll have cuttings.

Montauk Daisy is considered invasive in some areas.

• ghoghunter
    13 years ago

I love them too and collected seed last year from my container plants after they bloomed. Well all the seeds sprouted and then the container plants after being outside all winter also awoke in the Spring and I had more than I knew what to do with!!! This is such a great plant..so beautiful and easy adn blooms almost until Thanksgiving if I remember from last year. If you buy just one blooming potful now at the garden center you will have more than you can handle next year plus get to enjoy its blooms now!
    Joann

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Michele - I WS Montauk daisy seeds I harvested from my own plants and there's a big fat bud on the plant I saved as being the healthiest. I'll have seeds but not until January or so since they bloom so late. I still have some of last year's seed plus my neighbor (who wisely DIDN'T prune hers in June) has two huge plants that are blooming madly at the moment. My two established plants suffered badly in the drought. So yes, I can send you seed in time for WS!
    Eileen

• hostasformez4
    13 years ago

This plant sounds like a fall winner for sure. I just called my local greenhouse and they don't carry it. Do you think it would be available more in the Spring? I think I want it too after reading about it. LOL

Connie

• ghoghunter
    13 years ago

I don't usually see this plant in the Spring because most garden centers carry the plants when they bloom in the Fall and that's when people want to buy them. I can save you some seeds though..no problem. There will be plenty of time to winter sow them.
    Joann

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How brave am I? A monster plant I can divide and divide and divide would be PERFECT for the plant sale! We hope to do a fall version next yr w/ pansy,mums,kale,grasses and now these daisys

I WILL take the Becka Shasta tho/.I have some Alaskan daisy that I love but it FLOPS terribly.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Okay, question about the seeds--my notes say the Montauk daisies I WS grew to 8" tall by Aug. 22. They do bloom 1st year from seed since mine has a big fat bud on it. Are you growing them for the plant sale? They'll still be tiny seedlings in May.
    I'll harvest seeds from my neighbor's plants once they go by--probably sometime in late December/early January.

• flwrs4ever
    13 years ago

ontheteam..I have montauk daisy in my neglected garden..if you want to contact me I dont think I am far for you to come and take some :)

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    13 years ago

pamchesbay's quote about propagation is true. I have an outstanding plant I got from terrene's swap a couple of years ago.

Most of what I read on them said to cut them back in December and in June. Well, this year I took 5" tip cuttings mid June and put them in 4" pots with Promix and rooting hormone, for a bridal shower end of July. They ALL rooted by the shower - had a bunch left over that I left in indirect light all summer (they are STILL there - should be planted this week maybe) and 10 or so are blooming.

They are super super easy to make more!

• sheltieche
    13 years ago

we got it at the plant swap from stage-rat, it is blooming beautifully now. Love it! Well worth looking for!

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ontheteam..I have montauk daisy in my neglected garden..if you want to contact me I dont think I am far for you to come and take some :)

Check your email! Thank you!
    !

• beck_wi
    13 years ago

darn it ;) why do you guys always have to show me plants like this?? now I gotta have one.

• adamark
    13 years ago

I've read this post a couple days ago. Of course, same as beck wi, I've decided "I gotta have one". Yesterday, passing by HD, what did I see at the front - a beautiful Montauk Daisys. Now, I have a question, it is getting a bit cool - do I still have a time to put it in the ground. From previous posts seems like it is pretty hardy and should survive. I hope.

• drippy
    13 years ago

Adamark, go for it. You may have a frost soon, but your ground won't freeze for awhile, & they are pretty tough plants.

• bfowler
    13 years ago

Has anyone had success in Zone 5? Also, is there an online nursery that sells plants or are neighborhood cuttings the way to go?

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

I'll have lots of seeds in another few weeks for anyone who wants some in exchange for SASBE. Here are a couple pictures of mine blooming last year:

{{gwi:282696}}

• not_a_contessa
    13 years ago

I have truly missed Montauk Daisies since I moved away from the NJ shore and I would love to grow them here in the PA mountains. If anyone has some seeds to share, please put me on your list. I can do a SASBE or a trade, I'll be posting my trade list soon.
    TIA, Mary

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

not_a_contessa - I've got seeds for you. I'll swap you for some penstemon 'Huskers Red' if you have any. Otherwise, I'll mail the Montauk daisy seeds to you in exchange for a SASBE. Send me an email with your mailing address if this works for you.

• not_a_contessa
    13 years ago

Gardenweed, I do have penstemon huskers red seeds, I'll send you an e-mail, and thanks!
    Mary

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths