Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kqcrna

What are your most drought tolerant plants?

kqcrna
13 years ago

Lots of lists are available online, but I'm more interested in what happens in real gardener's yards. Your yard

We're in the midst an awful drought. Need to plan accordingly.

Karen

Comments (26)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I have a few plants in full sun and I haven't watered since late spring. Wow, did I just admit that. LOL, only strong survive my full sun areas. We are going through a major drought here also. The lake in our area is at record lows.

My full sun plants that are still blooming today are:
    Burgundy Gailardia
    Salvia Victoria
    Salvia Blue Bedder
    Leadwort
    Irebis Candytuft I never knew this little plant smelled so wonderful till it has grown into a three to four foot clump.

Shasta Daisy becky isn't blooming but I let it go to seed this year and if I hadn't it would be blooming. This is one tough plant that I love and it is evergreen here.

• v1rt
    13 years ago

From what I have witnessed without rain for more than 3 weeks and no watering from me, here is my list. :)

Petunia Laura Bush
    Salvia Splendens
    Salvia Guaranitica
    Spirea
    Chelone
    Asters
    Morning Light - it's a grass
    Wine & Rose Weigela - beautiful dark maroon leaves
    Tithonias - I really love the flowers. I wish there was a shorter version like at 2 ft.
    Cosmos

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Neil, there is a dwarf tithonia called Fiesta Del Sol. I've never tried them. Does anyone know if it blooms earlier than the tall ones? When I grew the tall ones they didn't bloom 'till Sept, then would soon be killed by frost. I haven't grown them in several years, but they were pretty.

{{gwi:260825}}

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiesta Del Sol

• drippy
    13 years ago

We had 8 weeks where the weather hit 90+ degrees every day, and are very low on rainfall here. My winners are, in their best order of bloom:

Gaura
    Zinnias
    Portulaca
    Dianthus
    Rudbeckia
    Montauk Daisy

Canna survived, but got munched by JBs & probably some other nasty insects I'm not on to yet, and the blooms were puny. A lot of stuff I put in the ground shriveled up and died.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Japanese beetles do a number on my canna's also.

What kind of dianthus do you have, drippy?? I have grown dianthus barbatus and I am going to try dianthus plumarius this year.

• Ann
    13 years ago

Through the horribly hot summer we had, the following plants did well:

Echinacea
    Joe Pye Weed
    Feverfew
    Butterfly bush
    Melampodium

Everything else pretty much lived and died depending on when I watered or we had big thunderstorms. Tought love for those plants is the best thing!

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll google and consider each.

A few weeks ago I planted a dwarf Joe Pye. I thought they needed a lot of water???

Does gaura stand up well to wind and heavy spring rain storms? I have a lot of problem with things being knocked over, even with things like rudbeckia and coneflowers?

Karen

• molanic
    13 years ago

Some have already been mentioned that did well for me, but I'll "second" them.

Echinacea
    Rudbeckia
    Joe Pye Weed
    Feverfew
    Sedums
    Ironweed
    Marigolds
    Blackberry Lily
    Tithonia
    Caryopteris
    Butterfly Bush

Plus most of the ornamental grasses and everything with glaucus foliage like lamb's ear, rose campion, lavender, sage, etc.

My Joe Pye Weed seems to have more of an issue with dry soil when it is really hot. In the heat of summer it tends to droop and some watering will perk it up. It seems to be drought tolerant as far as it won't die on you, but it prefers it moist.

• topie
    13 years ago

We had an unusually hot & dry summer here in PA too...plants in my garden that held up well were:

Salvia nemorosa 'Snowhill' (amazingly tough & still blooming! Never watered)

Heuchera villosa 'Bronze Wave' (super-tough, never watered)

Aromatic Aster/Aster oblongifolius) 'October Skies' (it got HUGE this year, still blooming, never watered)

Russian sage/Perovskia atriplicifolia) (my 1st year with this one, still small-ish but it seemed very drought-tolerant)

Sedum 'Autumn Joy' (Sedum telephium) (generally indestructible for me, never watered)

New York Ironweed (Vernonia noveboracensis) Lots of blooms this year, never watered)

Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' (Rudbeckia fulgida) (watered a little if the leaves looked wilty, but generally OK)

• v1rt
    13 years ago

Karen,

Thanks for the smaller version of tithonia. My tithonia(about 4 ft tall) started blooming early August. It's still blooming today. :) I direct sowed them I think last week of May or 1st week of June.

• v1rt
    13 years ago

Oh yeah, sedum autumn joy and russian sage. I see it everyday. The russian sage still has flowers and I have harvested too last week. Alchemilla is still good but with burns on the outer part of the leaves due to frost.

Saw these 2 last night while throwing siberian iris seeds. LOL. Not sure if it's going to germinate, hahaha.
    - sweet potato vine
    - safari primrose

• ramazz
    13 years ago

I didn't water at all this summer (was gone for 2 weeks in July anyway) and we had an extended drought. We finally got a good drenching rain on September 30. My yard actually looks better now than it did for most of the summer. The plants that did best -

Gaillardias - both perennial and annual varieties
    Sedums
    Agastache foeniculum
    Salvia coccinea - Lady in Red is doing great, even now
    Salvia Hot Lips (no seeds, though)
    Salvia Greggii
    Salvia guaranitica
    Salvia regeliana
    Echinacea, though some died
    Dianthus
    Hibiscus Texas Red & White
    Caryopteris
    Buddleia
    Balloon flower
    Tithonia
    Marguerite daisies Kelwayi
    Cleome
    Ratibida/Mexican Hats
    Rudbeckia - some died

Becky

• v1rt
    13 years ago

Hi Becky,

Can I have few seeds of your salvias? :D

• floodthelast
    13 years ago

I just wanted to add Rudbeckias and calendula to these lists. Mine rocked this year.

• drippy
    13 years ago

Countrycarolyn, my dianthus was an annual - Raspberry Parfait - but I noticed several other folks around here seemed to have dianthus of various kinds blooming all summer. I didn't get much sown this year, as we were moving again (hopefully for the final time for a looooong while), but I plan to sow a lot of dianthus this winter. I love, love, love sweet william.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Drippy, Well I have some dianthus barbatus cherry parfait it is a Biennial that blooms one year, first year only puts on foliage. You may just receive some of those seeds in the round robin, lol along with something else I noticed you were wanting. I won't say which one that is though, I got to have a few surprises for people.

My calendula did wonderful also!! Along with my irebis.

• v1rt
    13 years ago

My calendula did very badly this year. It was awesome last year. I now believe that when seedlings/plants are just 1 inch apart, it will not grow well. The calendula I was talking about are all volunteers. Some seedlings are just half inch apart only. :P

I purposely did it to learn more about plants.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I actually do not plant my calendula. First year I dsed it, by just tossing it out in the bed I didn't even press it in the dirt. I collected some seed but not all and just left the rest. It is total reseed and some of my plants are so close they look connected. They do just fine for me. I let them totally reseed again this year. I don't believe I collected 1 seed from it. I will see what happens next year.

• ramazz
    13 years ago

With regard to the salvia seeds, I should have plenty from Lady in Red and may have some from regeliana and greggii. You have to catch them at the right time! Hot lips never produces any seeds - I think it needs a specific pollinator. The guarantica (black & blue and Argentina Skies are the ones I have) produce very few seeds, and I didn't even look for them this year.

I will look over the weekend and see what there is, and will be happy to share what I find.

Becky

• v1rt
    13 years ago

Thanks Becky!!! :D

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Brutal summer here with over 90 days of 90+ and very very little rain - my best plants were

agastache
    amaranthus
    annual vinca
    zinnias
    salvias

they will get top billing next year in my gardens along with more shrubs which we started by propagation this year - we have over 40 hydrangeas started (about 6 different varieties) and doing good .....

Lynne

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

We had very bad drought this summer! My Zinnias and Hostas gave me the least trouble.

• vja4him
    12 years ago

My Ice Plant, Verbena and African Daises have all done very well, survived the coldest winter I've seen here, down to 18 degrees F. (- 8 degrees C.) even! And hot weather as hot as 120 degrees!

My Calendulas have always survived just fine, but need a little more water. My Calendulas had flowers fully bloomed this year on the day the temperature got down to 18 degrees F.!!! I couldn't believe it! Other garden also survived that extreme cold (Verbena, African Daisies, Dusty Miller, Ice Plant, Kohlrabi, Chinese Cabbage, Radishes, Stinging Nettle and a few others.

Potatoes died that day (18 degrees F.). Geraniums died back, but now they are coming back stronger than ever. I thought the African Daisies would not make it, but they pulled through (just barely).

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Looks like were in for another summer drought! I bought 7 roses this winter. I just wish it would rain!

• vja4him
    12 years ago

We are still behind with our rain. Normally we get around 12 inches of rain each year. I think we've only had around 8 inches so far. We won't get much more rain (mostly just very light sprinkles) until November or December.

I'm working on a huge compost pile, adding everything I can (except grass!). I'm trimming lots of my garden plants, and keeping the clipping for the compost pile, adding everything I can from the kitchen, including the cardboard egg cartons, newspaper, cardboard boxes, sticks, and when my summer plants are ready to pull up, I'll add the Tomato plants with the tomatoes, Sunflower plants, and everything else .....

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    12 years ago

OT if discussion is plants for drought that can be wintersown. Excited about my new hummingbird plant which needs to be kept dry - got it at a meeting. What impresses me is how bugs are leaving it alone but eating all the plants around it. Called Hummingbird Plant, Uruguayan Firecracker Plant, or Dicliptera suberecta, z7a-10. Reported to attract both hummers and butterflies with red tubular flowers. I divided it in 3 and each section has grown nicely. Should bloom later on.

Plants sold out at Annie's, nice pictures

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm