Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixing fine sand with tiny seeds

Posted by pippi21 Zone 6b Silver Sprin (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 20:36

Wintersowing time will be here in a few months. There are some seeds that are like dust..portulaca was one that I encountered like that. Just read a suggestion from Sharon Lovejoy's book about mixing fine sand in an empty grated cheese container with real fine seeds to insure even distribution. Went on A.C.Moore's website and they have different colors of art sand..plus white. Can that type of sand be used to distribute fine seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixing fine sand with tiny seeds

I use granulated sugar and a salt shaker. A lot of the seeds I can see how they are distributed, and I shake around vertically, between sprinkles, etc. Fine sand would work too, just that it is heavier and seeds would want to stay on top plus they're a little harder to see how well mixed they are.

o

• Posted by pippi21 Zone 6b Silver Sprin (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 21:32

Thanks for your input. I think I had read about the sugar suggestion. Sure would be able to see the seeds better against the white sugar vs sand and like you said even fine sand would be heavier than sugar. Wonder if salt would work too?

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 22:03

No! Salt will kill your seedlings, you don't want salt even watered into your potting mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here