Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

Where is everybody placing thier seed orders this year?

As if I didn't already have enough, but I finally have $$$ and was starting to think about where I wanted to order seeds for WS. Tinyseeds.com to pick up discounted Botanical Interests packets(can't resist thier pretty packets, LOL), maybe some Renee's Garden seeds (Love her Lavender selection), Diane's flower seeds, thinking Swallowtail Gardens. I want to add more butterfly/bee and hummer friendly stuff. Lot's of different bee balm, different mints(potted of course) or herbs I can use to make my own teas. I was thinking some things from T&M, but have read mixed reviews on the seed quality. I love the black grass from them, but don't want to waste my money either.

Melissa

Comments (35)

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

I've only ordered from T&M- just have to try the red rudbeckia.

Karen

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

So far, the only order I've placed this fall was with Diane's Flower Seeds. I've done several trades recently, and participated in my first Round Robin, which filled a lot of my wishlist.

Most of what I'll probably order will be vegetable seeds, and won't be until after the first of the year. I'll check with Pinetree, Fedco, and Stoke's first, but if they don't have everything I need, I'll shop around then. I'm holding out until all of the 2009 catalogs arrive!

That doesn't mean I won't cave in to a good sale if I run across one, LOL!

Bonnie

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Try summerrhill seeds too. I love them. Had great success with all her seeds this year. She also sends bonuses off of you order. Very nice to deal with....Barb

• terrene
    15 years ago

I am planning to order mostly native seeds, and will probably purchase from the same companies as last year - Prairie Moon nursery, Prairie nursery, and Easywildflowers.com. They have generous quantities for a reasonable cost. Maybe the New ENgland wildflower society, but their prices are a bit high. I also like Diane's seed selection, and may order from someplace new. Haven't put the orders together yet!

Maybe I should get my head checked, I already have an entire drawer in the fridge filled with seeds and have collected some too. I'll have to do some trades and a SASBE offer, to get rid of some extra that I would probably never use anyway.

• liza070831
    15 years ago

I got my seeds from Crosman seeds (next town over in E.Rochester NY).

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

I get my biggest seed supply from NARGS- North American Rock Garden Society seed exchange program which usually has two rounds and I end up with about 100 packets of seeds. If I am applying in timely manner I receive most of my first choices and varieties are good- wild and garden collected. This year is first year to be done via internet. Also am planning to participate in American Lily Society exchange as well- lots of newly hybridized seeds there and one can really do well with them- I love growing lilies from seed- takes few years but the beauty is unbelievable. Bob Griesbach is supplying lily exchange with seeds from his program as well and am excited about it.
    There are also few seed companies that I like to support with my orders. Gardens North are excellent for rare, native, woodland varieties. JL Hudson is one of my all times favs, have been buying for years from Hardyplants.com
    Few overseas companies have been on list forever but with recent regulations I am not buying much from them.

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

Summerhill, Swallowtail and Wildseed Farms are the ones have ordered from so far. I have a coupon for T&M so I'll get a few packs from them too.

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness! I found a new place for seed and I just love this lady!! She has a really good selection, all have a link to a site that has oodles of info on each plant type and she only charges $1.00 a pack! Shipping is very reasonable as well!

Here is a link that might be useful: T's Flowers and Things

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I placed some orders. I got some Renee's Garden, Botanical Interests, Summerhill, Diane's and T's flower's & Things. I have enough seed to last me for a few years now, LOL. Got great selection of stuff too.

Melissa

• adiro
    15 years ago

I will be a first time winter-sower :)

I started reading many of the forums here when I started gardening, this year, after getting married.

I got a little over-excited about all possibilities ( in spite of having a very small backyard) and I purchased tons of seeds, some very expensive.

I got seeds from Vesseys and from Dominion Seed House. So far I can say that Dominion ( in Canada) has a super customer service, as I got an envelope that wasn't properly folded and I didn't have the 125 seeds advertised inside (Papaver "Angel Choir". Another, "Portulaca" was only missing some, you can imagine how excited I am if I count portulaca and poppy seeds....I contacted them and they send me seconds free of charge, in a week time. About Portulaca, I didn't even ask for replacement.... I was very happy!

I got tons of flowers ( phlox, poppies, zinnias, delphiniums, aster,violas, lupines, dianthus and what not), vines ( MGs, Black Eye Susan, Nasturiniums) some tomatoes, some herbs.... will probably use a fraction of each packet, as space is so tight...
    and yes, I will probably bug you all with lots of questions when I begin sowing.

• mechele211
    15 years ago

Swallowtail and cheapseeds.com.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I am all done buying seed, except for picking up some 2009 selections from Renee's Garden when they they are ready. Each time I look at the list of seeds I have; I become overwlemed, LOL.

Melissa

• lblack61
    15 years ago

I ordered from Wildseed Farms, Value Seeds, and I may be buying from Seeds of Change (I'm looking for Lobelia cardinalis seeds, which seems to be a challenge, lately).
    I already placed a large order late summer with both Value Seeds and Home Harvest Supply, so with what I already have, and other than vegetables and herbs, I should be set.
    I do plan a mid-Winter order of veggie seeds and herb seeds from Stokes, though.

--I told myself I wasn't WSing a lot this year...but you wouldn't know it from all the seeds I have right now.

Linda

• sandysgardens
    15 years ago

So far this season I've bought from - Hardyplants.com, T&M (twice - their 99cent sale and their 1/2 price sale; and now I want the red rudbeckia so maybe a 3rd order), Value Seeds, Totally Tomatoes, and Parks.

I have a few things eyed on JL Hudson's site, and on Gardens North's site. I actually should be shot for even thinking about buying more seed. But heck, I could have a worse hobby/habit that I wouldn't want anyone to know about!

Hmm, off to check seed sites that others have mentioned to see what trouble I can get into!!

Sandy

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Gee, I traded with Angie so not only do I not need to buy seeds, but, I need to buy the nieghbors house to get more room to plant them all.

• jumpin4joy
    15 years ago

I got from Pine tree Seeds, Renees Garden, and Value Seeds and I was pleased with all companies.

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Has anyone ever ordered from Chiltern seeds?

They have some really different dahlia seeds that sound good but they are in the UK......

Here is a link that might be useful: Chiltern seeds

Original Author
    15 years ago

Doris, that's funny, LOL. Sometimes, I wish, I could have a public garden all to myself for planting. I would put a small pond in, with bench's. Weeping cherry tree's, ton's of flowers. You name it, it would be in there.

Sandy, you need to get the Cherry Brandy. I got 1 packet and I'm thinking I should have bought a few to trade with (although the last thing I need is more seed0. I can't wait to do a patch of these.

Linda, I have Lobelia cardinalis.

Melissa

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I just received an order from Pinetree Garden Seeds. I sent in my order snail mail and had it in a week & a half! I thought that was great considering Veteran's Day was in the mix. I'll also probably place an order with Baker's Creek Heirlooms later on. Their new seed catalog for 2009 is in the works.

• lblack61
    15 years ago

Melissa,
    Linda
    I have ordered from Chilterns, several times. I usually buy from them when I can't find the specific variety or color of whatever I'm looking for. I find them to be very reliable, and I have good germination from their seeds.

Melissa,
    On the Lobelia cardinalis...I'll email you :-)

Linda

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

Linda02
    have ordered from Chiltern many times, my all time favorite source except it is UK so with those recent new regulations I did not quite figured out how to do it most painlessly. Technically you need permit to go with your seeds and it is just bureaucracy but then they keep your seeds at customs for couple of month so I am not happy with it. Still am considering to order from them as they have few primulas I can not obtain anywhere and this year is The year of primula for me. ;)
    Got couple of orders from Plant world in UK and they have a way to deliver your seeds within couple of days with no problem. Well worth it, as customer service is excellent and they really have some stunning varieties of plants, all those purple leaved and variegated etc... I tend to grow different, rare, weird looking and all kind of variegated plants mostly so my choices run towards expensive seeds LOL
    Linda lblack
    you welcome to look at my seedlist, if you still need lobelia cardinalis, would be most happy to accept SASBE for any of my seeds or trade, whichever you prefer.

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    15 years ago

lindalana

thanks! I did start to fill out the paperwork for the blue impatiens but then found it on the seed exchange so didn't go thru with it. T&M does seem to have more dahlia seed than everyone else that i have looked at. Still, Chilterns assortment is different....sigh.

do you have a working website for Plantworld?

Linda

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

I usually go through 1 or 2 companies a year, but will only be making a single order from Pinetree Garden Seeds (Superseeds.com) this time for veggies/greens. I like the prices and variety of international types they carry; including a number of heirlooms :)

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

you have to type "plant world seeds" separately.

• shellva
    15 years ago

Swallowtail Seeds and Heirloom Seeds are my two favorite. Received a catalog from Pinetree here recently. I've never heard of them but think I might give them a try.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    15 years ago

Hardyplants.com, selectseeds.com, swallowtail garden seeds, Dianes Flower Seeds.

• marcejen
    15 years ago

I have been looking everywhere for Mother of Thyme seeds [the reddish 6" tall thyme], went to high ends nurseries to not avail...but with all the names you threw in that Re:...I may find it. By the way did any of You have Mother of Thyme in zone 7b? I have been very pleased with wildseeds farm in Frederisburg Tx, fast shipping, reasonable prices.

• spartangardener
    15 years ago

Probably just pinetree for a few veggies that I don't have. I splurged on the dime/package sale at the end of the summer and have enough seed for the next five years for a lot of items, as well as what i collected from my own garden. I think I'm going to plant a bunch of pumpkins and gourds and squash next year.

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

Found some interesting site- Barnhaven primulas- for primrose lover delight. Unfortunately it is in France so am not sure how delivery with customs will go. Will let you know as ordered inexpensive trial mixture.

• sandysgardens
    15 years ago

Just added Pinetree to the list of where I've ordered this year. Just had to get them Cherry Brandy Ruds, along with 14 other types of seeds. Where did my self-control go?

Original Author
    15 years ago

My self control left awhile ago, LOL.

Melissa

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Can you believe I havent gotten ONE seed catalog yet? Only a bulb catalog.

• token28001
    15 years ago

Bunch of enablers you people are. I swear. I've already ordered from Park Seed and cheapseeds.com. NOW, I'm sitting here with my T&M catalogue thinking, I need those red rudbeckia seeds like I need another hole in my yard. Oh well. $10 off any order. Let's see what else they have that I don't need.

Someone stop me. Please.

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Isn't self-control an oxymoron?

Websters says:
    Oxymoron=a figure of speech in which two words or phrases of opposite meaning are set together for emphasis or effect. i. g. "falsely true" and "army intelligence"
    From the greek words oxus=sharp and moros=dull
    -B

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    15 years ago

hey marcejen

go here - they have mother of * listed for sale! Hope it's the one you want!

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: the tyme garden herb company

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting