Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Getting jugs from the recycle bins

bookjunky4life
12 years ago

I usually get the majority of my WS milk jugs from the recycle dumpsters at the recycling center. The dumpsters used to be way at the back, so you could go back and not be bothered or really even seen. Now they moved the dumpsters up to the front by the road and it was really unnerving. I ended up finding some but I felt like everyone was watching me.

Comments (19)

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

Here's what works for me:
    1. go after dark
    2. wear black
    3. dark vehicle if possible
    4. take a kid - if not one of yours, borrow but be sure to get permission as parents tend to frown on unauthorized road trips.
    5. make the kid get the jugs if possible.
    6. if caight yell SCHOOL PROJECT. It works.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Doesn't bother me one bit to stand there with my contractor size trash bag and long bamboo stake and fish jugs out of the recycle bin. I just go at it as though I own that recycle bin. Considering I pay taxes and therefore the attendant's paycheck, I consider it's my right to harvest what I need. Folks who see me haven't made any comments and in fact a couple have actually asked what I'm using the jugs for. One attendant tried to say they don't "allow" anyone to take things out of the bins but I just smiled really big and said, "Oh yeah you DO! I was here last week [when he wasn't ] and they said it was okay!!" His next comment? "Don't fall in."

Claiming school project is my back-up/held-in-reserve approach.

• duane456
    12 years ago

Just wear your garden clothes. And if anyone asks--just tell them you're homeless.
    Duane

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I kept telling myself that if anyone approached me I was going to say we needed them for a school project for my daughter. I don't have any kids.

Love the homeless idea!

Luckily, most of the jugs I scored were water jugs which are always much cleaner. I washed them out with bleach water last night and hung them up with baling twine on our clothesline to dry.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

gardenweed..never would have thought about a long bamboo pole..hope you're also wearing plastic gloves to fish them out with. If people live in the city limits where recycle bins are placed by the curb for pickup..just go in a neighborhood that is not on a main highway where you can park and walk down the street making your haul.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Last year, my first to WS, a neighbor brought me a truckload of jugs every week from the transfer station/recycling dump. One day his wife went with him and stood near while he fished the jugs out of the bin. She saw a spring water jug and told him, "Grab that one dear, she likes the clean ones."

• tomerrol
    12 years ago

well, I did get a few from behind food lion store in the dumpster. they were milk jugs that had ran out of date (their brand) and they had poured the milk down the drain I think.
    But now I came up with a pretty good idea (for me anyway!) There are 4 young boys that lives close by and they always come by and watch me garden. they range from 8 to 12, . well heres the deal and to beat all its working!! I give them 5 cents for all gallon clear jugs, 3 cents for clear 1/2 gallons and 3 cents for all 2 and 3 liter drink bottles. them little dudes are working their tails off going all over the neighborhood asking and begging for their jugs! brought 11 over today... heck thats $1.00 for 20 gallon jugs. and it gives them something to do and a little spending money, ans besides keeps the jugs and bottles out of the dump!
    Tom

• muddypaws4ever
    12 years ago

I do the same thing, only I use my dogs for cover. I can usually lift a few jugs while they're sniffing around...!

• clc70
    12 years ago

I work at a large nursing home/assisted living center. The girls in the kitchen save milk jugs for me. They use 6-10 a day. If you know someone who works at such a place (schools would be good too), you could get some that way. Connie

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Nice ideas folks.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    12 years ago

See if you have a 'freecycle' in your area and ask people to save them for you.

• TraceyOKC
    12 years ago

I have these buckets I was going to use, I've never done the winter sowing, but am ready to try! I thought they would work great, but having not done the WS before I starting wonder if I should just start collecting the jugs. hhmmmm....

They are clear plastic and shaped like a "shedds spread" container but big, a gallon prob. I have no idea what they were originally for maybe a pot liner. My Dad has 4 cases of them he got at a lot auction....he uses them in the garage. Anyway, if I cut slits in one they slide together pretty snuggly. I've used them around the yard with petunias and periwinkles.

What do ya'll think? Would I be better off with the jugs?

Thanks!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

The reasons many folks use/prefer gallon milk/spring water jugs are:

- they hold plenty of growing mix (at least 4 inches when wet) for the roots;
    - plenty of head room for the sprouts; and
    - the handles make them easy to pick up and allow the winter sower to peer down the opening when checking for sprout activity.

If your buckets give you those features, there's no reason you can't use them. I guess I'd wonder if they might make getting the sprouts out when the time comes a little difficult. The milk jugs are opened and the plastic is thin enough it can be cut away from the HOS (hunk o'seedlings) when it comes time to plant out. Have you thought about how you'll get the sprouts out of the buckets?

• TraceyOKC
    12 years ago

The buckets are thin enough to cut with reg kitchen scissors or a box knife...that is a good point. They are definately not as soft as the jugs tho.

The handle is a good point too. I have arthritis and I always try to find an easier way to handle things.

I think I will start to collect some jugs and supplement with the buckets. I always try to follow the "receipe" exactly ... the first time. After that I change as the whim strikes me and experiment like crazy.

My hope is to be able to get plants from seed so I am not "hostage" to whatever the garden centers have thats not already picked over. This year I am starting with my basic stuff and if it works out well I am going to order more specialized seeds for the next year. I have tried and tried to grow from seed and the only ones that survive are the direct sowed ones.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I have tried and tried to grow from seed and the only ones that survive are the direct sowed ones.

Chances are you'll be very happy with your WS results. Here's what my Y2 WS jugs looked like in June:

{{gwi:199182}}

Everything in both pots & jug bottoms was WS:
    {{gwi:199179}}

{{gwi:199181}}

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

I love show and tell. I like big oleo tubs and milk jugs, but I like foil steam table pans too. I think someone had once mentioned, years back, about making a jug hooking pole with the stick from a broom and taping onto its end the hook from a cheap metal coat hanger.

• TraceyOKC
    12 years ago

Gardenweed, Thank you for the pictures! It's the first time I've seen WS in action. I see they are not on the ground, I've meant to ask about that. Is it ok to keep the jugs up on raised surfaces from start to finish?

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

TraceyOKC - you're welcome! I place the WS jugs on my breezeway concrete at ground level in December, January, February so they're less likely to get blown away by the winter winds. Once they need a little more attention from me after sprouting, I want them up on something that makes it a little less strain on my back. I use folding tables that are stored inside my garage when not in use.

2011 WS jugs on breezeway
    {{gwi:359902}}

{{gwi:199177}}

I've seen pictures where some folks place their WS jugs on raised surfaces right from the get go--it's whatever works best for you. The main thing is to be sure they're out where they can get rained/snowed on. Only part of my breezeway is covered so the open area is perfect for WS jugs.

Lupine seed sprouting
    {{gwi:367908}}

Phlox paniculata/tall garden phlox 'David'
    {{gwi:444244}}

Penstemon/beardtongue
    {{gwi:428891}}

Trollius ledebouri/Chinese globeflower
    {{gwi:212030}}

{{gwi:367051}}

{{gwi:367053}}

{{gwi:254469}}

{{gwi:350988}}

{{gwi:392286}}

{{gwi:259338}}

{{gwi:259340}}

{{gwi:259342}}

WS jugs on folding table opened on a warm, sunny day
    {{gwi:249456}}

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Most people know their backyards better than anyone else, and so they know the weather patterns as well as the patterns of use. In my garden, I had to place the containers up on tables because of a curious puppy that would find and shake-to-death any container that she came across. Later on, the puppy had grown into a sensible and trained dog, but my son had grown into a collegiate and had fellow collegiates with size 13+ shoes visit him--they would walk through the patio or yard to use the downstairs entrance to the house. After dark, nobody could see the flats on the ground and wow! Flats fly far when tripped over by size 13+ collegiate feet.

Flats fly in the breeze because they weigh too little. Water equals weight. If you know there are some strong breezes or gusts coming your way then water your flats well. If a severe storm is coming then take the flats to an unheated garage, shed or the trunk of your car. After the storm passes you put the flats back outside where they were.

Winter Sowing is highly adaptable, it was written to be that way. People are experts on their own needs and uses of the method, they are experts on their own backyard environment. Keep all that in mind when you plan your own Winter Sowing. What works for someone may not work for someone else because of their personal environment, needs and knowledge.

You'll find countless dialogues about containers. Quite honestly, the seeds don't know what they're sown in so choice is not a factor in germination. What matters is good sowing medium--I like fertilizer enhanced potting soil, you need depth--at least three inches otherwise you risk the soil drying out unless you want to water almost daily (ugh), and finally, you need a safe site for the container--someplace animals or humans can't disturb them.

T