Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

Best thing ever! Share yours!

silverkelt
11 years ago

This Thanksgiving I ended up doing about 90% of the cooking, which is fine by me!

Everyone share a recipe while we wait to wintersow!

Stuffed Acorn Squash with cranberry and tangerines.

I will give approx values, I rarely measure anything(sorry)

2 cups of cranberries

1/4 cup of dark brown sugar

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

1 tangerine

1/2 of Maple Syrup (dont skimp here.. get the real stuff, it really shines)

Cut Acorn Squash in half/ knock off the middle of the back rips so they can lay stable, cover with tin foil and cook for 40-45 mins at 375.

Rinse cranberries, and hand sort them, picking out in sticks, add to bowl.

Zest tangerine , squeeze juice into bowl, add cinnamon, add brown sugar.

Microwave mixture for 2-3 minutes, until you hear the first pops, remove (helps break down cranberries)

Remove Acron squash, stuff, recover for 15 mins, remove tinfoil for the last 5-10 mins , or until squash starts to brown slightly.

Remove, add maple syrup to each acorn with mixture, ready to serve.

ITS pop in your mouth delicious, with interesting tartness, sweetness, if your kids do not like squash, this might make them rethink it!

{{gwi:446133}}

Silverkelt

Comments (4)

• northforker
    11 years ago

Yummmmmmmmmm! Those look pretty AND tasty!

I am not much of a cook, but do make a "rave reviews" lemon bar that I am asked to bring everywhere. This receipe is for a 1/2 sheet pan (those 9 x 13 pans don't make enough to have both some for home and bring some to where I'm going!)

For shortbread crust:
    1.5 cup butter
    3/4 cup powered sugar
    3 cup flour

For lemon filling:
    8 eggs (or only 6 if they are extra large)
    4 cup reg. white sugar
    2/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (MUST be fresh)
    Rind of 3 lemons, grated
    6 Tbl flour
    1.5 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp salt
    powdered sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar, stir in flour. Spead over the bottom on the half sheet pan. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.

While crust is baking, prepare lemon filling. Lightly beat eggs, then stir in reg. white sugar,lemon juice and lemon rind. In a seperate bowl, combine flour, baking powder,salt. Stir into egg mixture.

Spread the lemon filling over crust. Bake for about 20-30 minutes, until it is beginning to lightly brown. Cool pan on a rack, cut in bars, sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Next time I make them I can take a picture, but they look like every other lemon bar you have ever seen. They just taste SO much better!!!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Both of those look great. Here's a fast one this morning - fast for me because I can cut and paste from my documents, and fast when you've made a half dozen pie crusts already and want one more dessert that doesn't take much time. (my SIL makes it on their boat) I took the recipe from a Williams Sonoma catalog about 20 years ago and am sure I've made it 200 times, sometimes using raspberries instead of blackberries but any berry will work.

WILLIAMS SONOMA BLACKBERRY CRISP

Crust Topping
    1 C flour
    1 C sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 egg beaten

Filling
    2-3 T Flour, or 2-3 T quick tapioca (I use tapioca)
    3/4 C sugar
    4 or 5 C berries

1 Stick melted butter

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder. Make a well and wisk in beaten egg with a fork till mixture is crumbly. Set aside.

Mix flour (or tapioca) and sugar (you will want to increase/decrease both of these depending on what kind of berry or fruit you are using, more thickener and less sugar for juicier or sweeter fruit) Put into buttered 7 x 11

Sprinkle dry topping over. Drizzle w/melted butter. Bake 35 min @ 375F or until golden brown.

*If making in 9x13 use 5-6 C berries, slightly increase flour or tapioca

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving weekend to you~~

My family loves this pumpkin pie filling, so we always bake some in custard cups skipping the crust. It works with any type of winter squash and is delicious for breakfast or a snack anytime! We're always sad when our supply of garden squash is gone and we have to wait until next year.

Combine in blender:
    2 cups roasted squash
    4 eggs
    1 cup milk (or powdered milk equivalent)
    1/2 cup - 2/3 cup brown sugar (lesser amt if squash is sweet)
    1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice OR (1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 3/4 tsp each ground ginger & nutmeg)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Bake in custard cups in a shallow dish of water at 375 until set. Depending on size of cups will take 20-35 minutes. Will be puffed up, but shrinks as it cools.

Variation: add 1/4 cup flour for a self crust pie & bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. Will set up more as it cools. It cracks if you overbake. Can bake in a glass pie plate or a small rectangle to cut into squares. Serve with sugar cookies & your family will love it!

When our kids were young we only used cinnamon and we increased to the full spice as they grew accustomed to spicier foods. I've made it with as little as 1/4 cup sugar or honey if we've also served it with sweetened cream. When the squash is sweet & you have the spices you don't notice the lower sugar amount.

The easiest way to roast squash:
    pierce & microwave the whole squash for a few minutes
    cut in 1/2 & scoop out seeds with icecream scoop
    place cut side down on greased pan with sides (cake pan or jelly roll pan)
    Roast at 350 degrees for about an hour or until soft. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
    Flip over & scoop out squash with a large spoon.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
    Corrine

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

Blue cranberry sauce.

Cook cranberries as usual, about a cup of water and a cup of suger. Let the berries pop. When it's finished, add a container of blueberries, and squish a few against the side of the pot. Stir, color will turn kind of purple. That's it, and very good.

Karen

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus