Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Can there be too many leaves?

docmom_gw
12 years ago

I was always a firm believer in keeping as many leaves as possible as mulch to return nutrients and organic matter to the soil. Until now.

I just bought a new house on Friday. On Saturday we rented a powerful, push-behind leaf-blower. We had 5 adults and three pre-teens, plus (thank the stars) the new neighbors' gigantic tractor/vacuum/mulcher. Working steadily, it took us about 6 hours to pick up and transfer to the back woodlands all of the oak leaves on the ground. The entire hill behind the house is now buried in about three feet of mostly-mulched leaves.

My question. If there are any wildflowers living in that back woodland area, will they be able to find their way up through all of those leaves? I was planning to create a woodland habitat back there. But I'm going to need to put the leaves somewhere. Hoping to hear some reassuring words. I think I'll post over at the composting/mulch forum, too.

Martha

Comments (6)

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

You CAN have too many leaves in that they can form a thick mat, impenetrable to water. Been there, done that myself.

Karen

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

"tractor/vacuum/mulcher" - shredded will be better than whole if you have that option...

First, congratulations on the house! And, that's a lot of leaves :), but also potentially gorgeous soil with all that organic material available. Can you create a designated area for some of them (not necessarily this year but for future leaf clean up), where they would be contained to break down some before adding them all to your woodland?

• micki
    12 years ago

My vote is I think bulbs will work there way to the top.
    I think there will be a lot of shrinkage and blowing, I'd stay positive. Also think of the good soil your making and how that soil will be used to make such good soil you'll be able to multiply things very fast evn if they don't come up in that spot. Good Job, think of it as a great investment as well. Keep layer composting always the best thing to do. (Which means doing large sections at a time and turning it over in the Fall/Spring as you choose.
    Micki

• terrene
    12 years ago

Too many leaves? IMO, no. This is Mother's nature's mulch, and her design is perfect (and if it isn't perfect, she adjusts it accordingly). We have meddled with that design by creating non-native turf grasses and other artificial landscapes. Now turf grass works well as a "carpet on the earth" in certain locations - where people play, where they walk frequently, over septic systems, etc. But those leaves are meant to mulch the roots of the trees, and provide such things as a protective covering for herbaceous plants and habitat for insects and other critters. Not to mention nutrients for their future growth. Soooo....perhaps you have too much grass?

Anyway, oak leaves have reputation of decomposing slowly, and matting down. This could be problem where you have piled them. You might want to get the opinions of those over on the Soil, mulch and compost forum?

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank-you for all the responses. I agree with all of you. We did shred most of the leaves to the extent the machine was able. Some of them were just transported on tarps.

Yes, there is more lawn than I want. We just took possession on the 18th, and I think it's wise to observe for at least the winter and spring to see what plants we have before we undertake any large design changes. The front of the yard very well may benefit from changing it to naturalized woodland. But, planting shrubs will be a challenge due to the root systems of the trees already present. We'll get there.

I'm just hoping we haven't unknowingly smothered any valuable native plants that may be dormant now. Thanks again for your time and interest.

Martha

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Perhaps you can corral them with a wire fence enclosure in one area of the woods. I would be concerned that thick mulch would kill some of the unknown wildflowers in the area. Adding the extra mulch to those that normally fall in that area could smother those wildflowers.

Sponsored