Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katy_bug_gw

Making my seed wishlist

KH 888
11 years ago

Last winter was my first wintersowing season and I was pleasantly surprised with my success. With my newbie pack and my own purchases, I had great luck with all of the items below. I have to admit that I was surprised how well the annuals did and I will definitely do more petunia, zinnia and cosmos. What is everyone else planting? Have you all started to make your wishlists yet? I need ideas!

2012 Successes:

Golden Marguerite

Dianthis

Joe Pye Weed

Zinnia

Cosmos

Salvia Farinacea

Zinnia

Nicotiana

Petunia

Coreopsis

basil

Dianthis

Coneflower

Calendula

Scabiosa

soapwart

Burgundy blanket flower

Persian cornflower

Shasta Daisy

amsonia

Comments (14)

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures. I am really going to work hard on perennials this season. At least I think I stopped buying for the season.

You must tell me how you got the salvia to grow? I've tried packs of seeds, they get to a certain height and go blip?

• KH 888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ladyrose65, I just got lucky with the salvia because I didn't do anything special at all. Maybe it was the variety or because we had a mild winter down here. Anyways, it is still looking good right now.

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

Katy Bug,
    Did you repeat both Zinnias and Dianthus on your list by accident, or are those seeds you really really want? LOL

I just put in an order to Swallowtail Seeds. I've become addicted to Coleus plants and they have a wonderful selection. I also added some other annuals and perennials to help fill my new, larger sunny beds. I can't remember everything, but I got some scabiosa, salvia, rock cress, ageratum, and other stuff the butterflies like. Your list looks like an excellent start for a second year winter sower. I've grown many of those plants and they all did well. Happy sowing.

Martha

• KH 888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Martha,
    the zinnia and dianthus are listed twice because they I planted 2 different varieties last year. That was my list from my 1st year wintersowing. I need to start making my list for this coming year. I have never tried coleus from seed before.

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I grew coleus from seed under lights last winter. I think I sowed them too thickly and kept them too moist, because I got a heavy layer of green algae-like stuff growing on the surface of the containers. Some containers germinated wonderfully and other not at all. I ended up tossing the whole kit and kabuddle (did I spell that correctly?) LOL I'm going to try again, but with much smaller containers and just a few carefully sprinkled seeds.

As far as my wish list, I'm looking for purples, blues, whites and pinks. I go back and forth between soft, pastels and hot reds and yellows. But this year I'm trying to fill in my purple bed. I have allowed some whites and pinks to sneak into the area, but I have an entire bed on the other side of the drive which will be exclusively warmer colors. I'm planting both annuals (for quick color) and perennials as an investment in the future. I'm hoping to be in this yard for many more years, and I want to make it into my haven away from the world. Have a great day!

Martha

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

I've had some trouble WS a wide variety of perennials the last few years. So my annuals list as grown, so many interesting annuals, and loads of herbs (as always).

Basil: Hairy Lemon
    Stinging nettles (they are hard to find here in the city)!
    plume & cockscolm celiosia
    pink cardinal climber vine
    polyheaded sunflowers
    I've got loads of seed from last years ws successes to start to:
    vining petunias
    moonvine
    gomphrena
    strawflowers
    eyeless eyeball plant

plus my usual load of veggies & fruits!

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

Girlgroup,
    Do you grow the nettles for butterfly host plants? I had a patch of it at my prior home, and it reseeded itself pretty easily. I never collected seeds, and don't think I would want to try, since I really dislike the "sting". I think I saw some nettles in my new wooded back area. Maybe I'll search them out and try to encourage more growth for my butterflies.

Martha

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

I do have some seeds headed my way, but other than that, I haven't done much shopping or prep work for this year's WS. Like Martha, I like anything that attracts butterflies. The ones that have sprouted for me include:

Common, Swamp, and Tropical Milkweed
    Butterfly Weed
    Bronze Fennel
    Rue
    Parsley
    Zinnias
    Mexican Sunflower (Tithonia)
    Verbena bonariensis
    Phlox

Good luck! Happy sowing!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Brad, what is your take on Rue, does it attract Swallowtail cat's. The plant looks like an invasive weed. I am skeptical about planting it.

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

Ladyrose65,
    I've had better luck with fennel and dill attracting Swallowtails than Rue. But, I'm hoping to get some Giants, and they need Rue or Hops or citrus, I think. So, I keep some Rue around as well. Golden Alexander is also supposed to be good for Swallowtails, but that one was very weedy and invasive, and didn't attract anything that I was aware of.

Martha

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Thanks Docmom, I bought the Fennel, Dill, Anise, Lovage, and Borage. I think Borage can be invasive, I'm going to plant it near the woods.

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Ladyrose, so sorry for the wait to respond to you. It's been hectic getting things ready for Christmas and I've been forgetting to check on here lately. THank you, Martha, for responding!

I hardly noticked any buttterfly activity on my Rue (or Dill for that matter), I have it planted right next to my Butterfly Bush. I will have to try Lovage again. Bronze Fennel germinated very well for me, but I gave it away. The Swallowtails around here have LOTS of Queen Anne's Lace to lay their eggs on, so maybe that's why I don't see any egg laying ST's on my plants. Monarchs did lay eggs on my common milkweed though :-).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• dem_pa
    11 years ago

This photo was taken several years ago.

{{gwi:446336}}

I have to winter sow more rue this year. My plants are old and woody. I gathered seeds from my sister's rue plants. One plant had 10 black swallowtail cats on it.

Two years ago I had six parsley plants. In the Fall I went out to the garden to cut the parsley to dehydrate it and there was nothing to cut off. The plants had black swallowtail cats eating the plants.

{{gwi:446338}}

Don

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Wow! Thanks Don for the pictures. I think I'm more excited about WSing the herbs than my flowers. We get a lot of Monarchs. I hope to attract the swallowtails this summer.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor