Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smokey28777

Steps to winter sowing??

smokey28777
9 years ago

Ive read almost all the posts on this forum so I would understand how to winter sow. Is the the right way? Have I missed any steps? Need ideas how to stabilize milk jugs..

In January, (zone 7)

Poke holes in bottom of milk jugs
cut jugs almost all the way around , fold back, add soil, sow seeds, then tape around with duct tape, leaving lid off

Set outside and stabilize so jugs don't turn over

Leave until spring then you should have seedlings to plant

Im new at this and am planning to winter sow about 50 milk jugs. Thanks for all your help!!

Comments (5)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well, I don't know if this is proper, but I sow seeds through neck of jug and don't cut jug leaving a terrarium sort of.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Unless you have very windy conditions or are setting the jugs on very uneven ground they do not need anything done to stabilize.

Edited to add:

One step I see missing is labeling. I add a v.blind label inside the jug as well as write the name on the outside of the jug at the top so I know what is in each. Some write the name on the bottom of the jug. Be sure to use a paint pen or other permanent marker. Some marker's ink fades in the sunlight.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Mon, Nov 10, 14 at 12:43

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

" fold back, add soil, sow seeds, then tape"

Step missing from what you typed - In preparing your pots, add the potting soil then water it well to settle it, let it drain.

dbarron, how do you remove seedlings through the neck of a jug? Do you cut it apart when you are ready to plant?

• molanic
    9 years ago

Just to clarify too since sometimes there is some confusion regarding "potting soil". You want to use potting mix sometimes also called potting soil, but occasionally people get confused and just see "soil". You want a light container mix made of with peat moss, coir, or even bark fine mixes that will drain well. Actual soil (top soil, garden soil) does not typically work well with this method.

Potting mixes can be difficult to thoroughly wet once in the container if they are bone dry to start with. If dry I usually put the mix in a large container and spray it with some water, mix it in and let it sit till the mix darkens and is just evenly moist, not wet. Then I overfill my containers and tamp it down well so it is more than 4" deep (it will compress more down to 4" or less when wetted). Then I thoroughly wet it either with spray or bottom watering until it can hold no more water, but drains freely. This is a good way to make sure your holes are a good size. Then sow the seeds and tamp down well, covering larger seeds with more mix as needed. Take note of the weight of the container and darkness of the mix, this will let you know when they need to be watered outside, which may be more often that many since I see you are zone 10.

When they are heavy and on level ground wind is not as much of an issue. Bunching them together tightly is usually enough, but you can also tie handles together or to a sturdy object.

I found tape to be quickly messy, instead I punched a couple of holes on the front-side and tied the jugs shut with twistie ties or pipe cleaners. That way I could open and close them easily and res-use them another year without messy tape residue. It also lets the seed breathe a little more which might be good a warm or damp climate.

Jug placement regarding sun exposure also depends on your climate. In warm weather newly germinated seeds can get overheated quickly in a still sealed jug in full sun.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    9 years ago

How do you sow through the top when different seeds have different needs? Some need to be 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep.

Sponsored