Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babcia_gw

Help in Preparing Containers

babcia
15 years ago

To start, let me say that I'm still new to this phenomenon (Winter Sowing), but I was wondering if anyone had any clever ways to cut milk containers. I've tried the little doors, and that's OK until I try to remove the seedlings, then I have to cut the whole thing apart to get them out.

I tired cutting the top off and inserting it in the bottom, but too much rainwater gets into the container.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (11)

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

I use a hinge. Cut around 3 sides just below the handle, but not thruough the label side. If you extend the cut just around the corners, it will flip open more easily. To close, I use one or two vertical strips of duct tape.
    {{gwi:194665}}

Karen

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

I do exactly as Karen does, except I wrap my tape around the cut horizontally.

I tried another method of closing the jugs once, using a hole punch, as recommended by a fellow poster here. You punch a hole in the bottom part of the jug, near the cut edge, and in the top part of the jug, again, near the cut edge. Then you slip a twist-tie through the two holes and secure it. It was easier than tape, but I found it didn't hold together as sturdily as the tape. So I went back to the tape.

I have to be honest and admit to being a bit befuddled when folks say they have a problem with the method that Karen and I use. I can't see how messing with doors and flaps is any easier than simply wrapping a piece of tape around the jug. But I guess to each her own. I'm sure you will find a method that works for you.

Good luck, and have fun this year!
    :)
    Dee

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

I cut it leaving a hinge near the handle. I just slap on a piece of tape vertically to hold the darn thing down- whatever. I take the sloppy, but still effective method.

• patrushka
    15 years ago

I cut mine like bakemom leaving about a one inch hinge below the handle. I tape horizontally either all the way around or on two sides.

Pat

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I prefer the door/window method, finding the containers more stable and no tape necessary. To help make getting plants out I also cut the tops off using my Black & Decker electric cutting too. Zip, it's done. (I also use the B&D tool to cut containers. Love it.) If I want to keep the container to reuse I just stick my hands/spoon in and take out a HOS.

Try different ways and use what works best for you.

• babcia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I guess I really need to do it several ways and decide what wotks best for me. There is no best way. The best way is whatever works.

"Happy Winter Sowing!"

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Hey, can anyone show a pic of the door and window method? I'd love to see it. Thanks, Nik

• dem_pa
    15 years ago

I follow the method "Donn" posted on here 4 or 5 years ago when I started winter sowing.

These photos are from last spring. I measure up from the bottom 4 inches. I cut a window on the two panels not connecting the handle on the milk jug. Make drainage holes on the bottom. Take cap off the jug or bottle. Then slip a plastic bag over (with a hole for open top so rain or snow can get into the jug).
    {{gwi:446428}}

{{gwi:446432}}

{{gwi:446434}}

I tie a piece of mini blind on the handle with a number painted on it with acrylic black paint (I use a hole punch to make a hole in the mini blind to attach a string)I keep a notebook with all the info for that number in it. I line my jugs up in rows of 10. If I want to check on a jug I know where to find it. Place them outside in cold.

Don (dem_pa)

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I have done the milk jug,cut and taped,also the soda bottle.
    I was really impressed in the beginning,since this was my first time to WS,(last year),i loved the idea of recyling,BUT, i ended up with more waste than i was happy with,all that tape,and the jugs were unusable for me,again,i was not happy about all the waste.Plus, some containers i used a baggie over the top, and now i had a lot of baggies to put in the land fill.

What did work for me, and i will do over and over again, is, i used the long plastic totes from wal mart,they even come with lids.
    I just used a heat gun,( do this out side as it is very poisionus i am sure to breath this stuff in ) to put holes in the bottom,filled with soil,divided the container if needed,put holes in the top, planted,marked, put lid on, and done!

I was happy with the way my HOS,came out of the jugs,i just pulled the whole potted plants out,divided them, planted and done.

The plastic totes were a dream to work with,nice need rows,and if i didn't get them planted right away, it was ok,there was plenty of soil for them to grow,as a motter of fact,some did grow and even bloomed right in the container.

All in all, it was very fun, and i will WS again this year.
    Try several ways, what ever workes for you,will not always be what workes for the next of us,but what ever way you choose, have fun!
    Carol

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

Sigh..I only wish we had milk jugs here in Ontario.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Wendy,
    2 liter pop bottles work very well for me. I personally like them better than milk jugs. I put them on the east side of my garage and I don't have to worry about the tops, they stay on until I take them off. I also feel like I have better drainage with the pop bottles. This is of course just personal opinion : )
    I remember someone else had a different method of cutting the bottles, but mine is shown on the link below.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: WSing Album Pop Bottle Photos