Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question

Posted by mary_grether 7/8 (mary_grether@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 9:30

can we or can container gardening be used as winter sowing, even when I ask it sounds kinda stupid.

But I have some big containers outside that are empty at this time and was just wondering if they could be used as winter sowing. do just like the plastic containers you folks have mentioned. put heavy type plastic over them, place them in an area where it would be safe and so on.

would appreciate your feedback on this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question

Hi Mary, Welcome--
First of all--there NO stupid questions in this forum.
I have tried what you are asking and have been successful to a certain degree.
Make sure you find a way to give some head room for the new seedlings to grow so they don't hit the plastic (propping with sticks maybe?). I have found that if you try growing more than one type of seed in the container, that they "may" sprout at different times and may overrun other seeds that haven't sprouted yet.
Hope this helps.
Duane

o

For very large diameter pots I like to sow seeds and place a cut off 2L/3L bottle over them. This allows for different seed germination and growth needs. If using just one seed type I still use the 2L cover as it helps with spacing. There will be several 2Ls needed to cover the pot. Push them into the soil well to keep from blowing away.

For rectangular pots if using only one seed I remove the paper part of hangers from the dry cleaner and poke them in the pot to hold up a large plastic bag. Clothes pins work well to keep the plastic bag in place. Be sure to poke holes in the plastic bag for ventilation and moisture. If you place the entire container in the plastic bag don't forget to add holes in the bottom of the bag for drainage.

o

I use large pots all the time and I do write abovut it in How to Winter Sow and there is an FAQ for it. If the containers are very large and deep you don't need plastin on the top to retain moisture, but the plastic does keep out some windblown seeds. You can make some lovely combos for seeds and you're all set.

Here is a link that might be useful: WinterSown Container Gardening

o

Thanks Trudi for all the work you do at winter sown. I read, re-read and re-re-read and learn something new every time. Great site! Now I'm going to ws my planters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here