Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evonnestoryteller

How to Create Seed-Starting Pots From Newspapers

evonnestoryteller
15 years ago

http://www.ehow.com/video_1745_create-seed-starting.html

Nice idea. I know you can also buy kits to make the newspaper pots. However, she recommends removing the paper before planting. I would stick with peat pots for that reaason. I use them when I don't want to disturb the plants roots when planting.

Comments (17)

• token28001
    15 years ago

I've made paper pots before in the spring, never tried them over the winter. I only tear off the top of the pot if the soil has compressed since I filled it. It keeps the water from wicking away into the air. The same thing needs to be done with peat pots. You have to make sure the top of the pot is below ground while the plant is level with the soil.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

I used paper pots a couple of years ago and would actually use them again. I like to use them for annuals and since I won't be using styrofoam this year I just might turn back to the newspaper pots.

I make mine by cutting strips 5 inches wide along the lenght of the paper. Then I roll 2 sheets over a glass which has the same circumference from top to bottom, leaving about 1.5 inches overlapping on the bottom. I try to choose a bottle or glass with a diameter of about 2 inches. Using a bit of masking tape, I secure the side and then I fold in the bottom and secure it as well. Remove from the glass/bottle and voila!!

As Token says, make sure that when you plant, you remove a bit of the top so that the paper doesn't wick moisture away from the root area. On the bottom, the roots will grow right through the paper without issue.

I used them during the winter and placed quite a few in little baskets and pails with drainage holes and they did great. Just tuck them in real tight.

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

I usually make the Oragami paper pots - they're fabulous and fit together well because they're square.
    They're really easy and fun to do while watching tv on those long winter nights and I've found that my teens actually enjoy helping me make them = BIG plus! Getting them involved in anything 'gardeny' is usually an exercise in futility, so whatever works I'll use to my advantage.
    :)

• wantie
    15 years ago

That Oragami pot sure looks good.

Here is what I did a few years ago. I took a pop can (actually) a V8 can 12 oz. size, and took about a 1/2 page of newspaper (not full 2 sides) ripped lengthwise and wrapped it around the can about 1/2 way up folding in the bottom as I went, at the end I folded a v to fit under and fold so the end didn't flap up. I tucked in the bottom real tight. I didn't use anything to hold it together.

The roots grew fine, I planted the whole thing, they were falling apart just right to plant.

I used Dollar store, open cat litter pans, then at $2.00 each and filled them with dirt and planted the seeds in them. Actually they were a big success when I planted lavender (munstead) in them. This was indoor under lights. If I was winter sowing I would do the same and find clear plastic for incaseing the kittylitter pans.

I still use the litter pans going on 4-5 years. Well worth the money.

Just another way of doing things.

• evonnestoryteller
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Popped up for the pot post.

• token28001
    15 years ago

When I made my post in this one, I had not tried transplanting the seedlings. When I did, the paper just fell apart. I used an origami method, not the rolled paper variety.

My paper pots - not my link.

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Sewobssese, I am not getting my folding paper to look like the illustrations. I'm using an 8 1/2 x 11" sheet. Can't make the leap from step 5 to step 6.

Sounds like others understand the illustrations but not I. How do I get that big blue triangle in step 6? ahg, I must be missing something!

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

mnwsgal, don't feel bad! It's not just you, I've heard of lots who can't seem to 'visualize' that step!

Ok, in step 5, you see where it has the letter 'A' on the bottom right corner? (I'm guessing you are shaking your head "yes"? lol)

That bottom right corner should be where there's a folded edge across the bottom of the top layer of paper. Stick your finger in the fold starting where the 'A' is and pinch the bottom edge of the fold between your fingers.
    Now, with that fold pinched between your fingers, pull your hand up and to the left - so the back of your pointer finger ends up against the middle crease mark and you now have your fingers at the top of a triangle 'pocket'. Press the triangle pocket flat.
    There ya go!
    If you can't get it, let me know and I'll try to explain it in a different way, but I'm pretty sure you've got it?
    Have fun making tons!

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Well...I get the same results as before, the small rectangle with one small triangle across the bottom, looks like the right half of photo 6 without the left half. Yikes, that can't be right!

I did the a mirror image to the other side so now have two individual pockets at the bottom each folded to the middle crease. Looks like figure 7 unless the triangle at the bottom of figure 7 is one solid triangle.

There has to be a problem with the folding as only one triangle has sides that can open and be folded like #9.

Is there a video of this somewhere? I don't know how to make videos--have only recently started watching You-tube videos when someone links to them.

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

mnwsgal,
    I sent you an email.

• mulbe
    15 years ago

I would love to use the newspaper pots to start my seeds in this year! For someone who has tried it...do you put the paper pots in a larger container and water from the bottom? Do the pots start to fall apart before you are ready to plant them?

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I found a video on making orgami newspaper seedling pots. With some pausing and backing up I was able to follow along and make a box.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video: making an orgami newspaper seedling box

• pitimpinai
    15 years ago

I use paper pots for seedlings that don't like to be disturbed and for grass plugs. I stuff them tightly than what I did in the pictures below, though. That way they don't dry up fast.
    My paper pots are thick enough not to fall apart at planting time.

I don't make mine as thick as the tutorial below. I only use half a sheet of newspaper. I don't peel off the paper. Just pop the pot in a planting hole and then cover with soil.

{{gwi:446851}}

{{gwi:446855}}
    {{gwi:446857}}

I am too impatient to make origami pots. I use this method but with only 1 sheet of paper and a small bouillon jar. No taping necessary.

Here is a link that might be useful: ์Newspaper pots tutorial

• Deb Chickenmom
    15 years ago

Newspaper pot video tutorial posted by piti on Dec 29

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

origami post is not working any more.
    I likw this idea,i think it would work great for tomatoes??
    cAROL

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

Carol,
    The link is working fine for me.
    Maybe yahoo was having a hiccup? (that wouldn't be much of a surprise. lol)
    And yes, they work just grand for toms, and peppers and, and ...

• shinyalloy_5
    15 years ago

Thanks, for these links. My daughter and I make these while watching tv. It is nice when I stumble upon things that we can do together, and she has always loved doing oragami. Her friend's mother was so impressed my daughter showed her girl how to make them.
    I do believe children learn so much faster. The second time I made these I couldn't quite remember how and my girl grabbed it out of my hand and showed me how. Now, I don't have to feel bad about wasting all those seed catalogs.

MARY

Sponsored