Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomerrol

spreadsheet

tomerrol
12 years ago

Ok since I am new to just about everything on ws, what information do most of you put on a spreadsheet? does a spreadsheet have to be on the computer, or could one be made with paper and pencil? This would be for keeping track of seeds that are WS .

thanks

Tom

Comments (13)

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I do both, computer and paper notebook. The last couple of years I add the info to the computer as it is easy to upload and to check when I need info. After a couple of years the info in the notebook can fade and sometimes (like today) I misplace the notebook :(

Container type &/or container number 2Ls are not numbered as it is easy to read the label inside. Individual cups or small pots are labeled "flat", not numbered. I number milk jugs as reuse them.
    Seed variety sown
    Date sown & # of seeds sown I added # as it helps to realize that some are weed seeds which have blown in or were in mix or there are more to germinate; sometimes the # is "many" or "pinch"
    Date germinated & # germinated, late in the spring this may be just a check as so many containers are germinating at the same time
    Note: if seeds were planted out or number potted up, and/or location of plants

• tomerrol
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you mnwsgal for the help. I kind of had an idea, but you gave me the information I needed.
    thank you again, and happy Ws
    Tom

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Tom - I emailed you about a spreadsheet. Let me know if you want me to send a copy of the one I created.

• terrene
    12 years ago

I created an Excel spreadsheet called the "Sow Chart" and keep records each year of seeds that are winter-sown and direct-sown, and also the results of germination tests.

For winter/spring sown seeds, there are columns for Container #, Species/cultivar, Date Sowed, # Seeds sowed, Container type, Date Sprouted, # sprouts, Date planted, and Date of 1st bloom. Also a column for brief notes.

I print out the blank spreadsheet and write the data down, and as the season goes on periodically enter it into Excel, so I would think it would work fine either on the computer or hand written.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

You mean I'm supposed to keep track of this stuff?

• duane456
    12 years ago

pixie---I write down what I planted and the date and I number the jugs and write that down in case my name of the plant is faded or lost on the jug and that's about it. I don't write # of seeds, when I transpanted,or any of that other stuff. --Too much work. It's suppose to be fun. If you want all that info then do it for sure. For me, reference of when I planted it helps for the next year. If it's still in my yard after a couple of years--it's a keeper. It's all up to the individual of how much info you want.
    Duane

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

pixie, some people don't keep any records. Over the years my record keeping has evolved to the things I want to know. The first year I just wrote the variety of seeds I sowed and later years added info because I wanted to know more and to help with answering posts from others.

The first few years I was anxious to know when to sow and when to expect germination and when to plant out. The same questions most newbies obsess about. Now I'm more relaxed about all that, experience, both mine and others.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Hey Pixie, you don't have to keep track! It's really a personal preference. I am detail-oriented and like record keeping, am good with computers, etc. so it's natural and easy for me. Also my son will be going off to college next year, and I'm considering going back to school and a "retirement career" doing something with plants/butterflies and science.

• tomerrol
    Original Author
    12 years ago

since this is my 1st yr at WS, I want to keep certain records, mostly to improve the 2nd yr. of WS" I want to know what seed sprouted when, I will record the amount of seed (except the smallest) just to know the percentage that germinated. If it is a poor germination, then I will know something needs to be corrected. I know I don't have to keep records on WS, but when you don't know what you doing (like me!) lol, then the only way I will improve in WS, is to know what I did wrong to start with.
    I have received good information from this post, and I do want to thank everyone for their input and on the helpful information and advise from everyone!
    AND A HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!
    Tom

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

I think keeping records is useful to remind you of what may have happened when you sowed something years ago, and what you may want to do differetly. Because of my work, I tend to go overboard on record keeping, and I use binders, with one lasting for 2 or 3 years. If I had a notebook computer that I could take outside I would probably use the computer but I use file paper and sharpie pens (sometimes different colours for different events).I keep records firstly on trades sent and received, seeds purchased, plants purchased. I list the sender's or recipient's address and the items. My sowing page consists of few columns with number, date, name, origin (sender) and results. The results column contains dates of germiation, plant out, flower, fruit and probably an indication of a picture (I photograph everything I grow), and how I liked it. It is a bit much, but that's just me. I take the binder out when I am planting direct so I can update as I sow, and don't have to rely on memory. There are many guides online with templates and suggestions of what you should record. I selected the ones that suited me. I think it's all a matter of preference. I like being able to curl up on a sofa with my binder when reviewing and planning the garden for the next year.

• micki
    12 years ago

This is my first year and I have created a very simple spread sheet. I am open for suggestions or sample spreadsheets. If anyone would volunteer they can send me their spreadsheet to use or get ideas from, make sure you state if you don't want it copied.
    I would think with all the information some of you are getting on the sheets the layout would have to be horizontal rather than vertical.
    It is good to know ahead of time the details being tracked.
    TY

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I am going to count myself successful if I actually get a label stuck in every container. And that will be it. If my seeds don't sprout, I don't need to be reminded of what I'm missing out on. And things that sprout successfully, hopefully they will also grow successfully in my garden. And if I end up planting a red flower in my white garden, I'll just transplant it.

Next spring/summer - when I'm posting a gazillion pictures of "what is this sprout" or "should this have sprouted by now even though I don't remember when I planted it" - you are all welcome to say "Now Pixie, if you kept a spreadsheet you would be able to answer those questions yourself."

• terrene
    12 years ago

Hi Micki, email me and I'd be happy to send you a blank copy of my spreadsheet. And yes, it's landscape orientation on the printer and jammed with columns at that.

LOL Pixie!

Sponsored