Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just1morehosta

What will you be sowing on the Soltice?

just1morehosta
14 years ago

I am going through my seeds,and trying to decide which ones i want to sow on the Soltice,no tree seed yet.

What will you be sowing this year?

cAROL

Comments (7)

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

I'm going to try lots of different perennials this first time--Echinacea (regular & 'White Swan'), Shasta daisies, stokesia, hosta, coreopsis, armeria, astilbe, butterfly bush, lupine, rose of Sharon, balloon flower, rudbeckia, delphinium, foxglove, hardy hibiscus, globe flower, columbine, agastache & day lily. If you've WSd any of these in previous years I'd be interested in hearing how they did.

• token28001
    14 years ago

My echinacea, coreopsis, butterfly bush, rudbeckias, foxglove, hardy hibiscus, and agastache all bloomed the first year. We had a mild spell in January that caused lots of sprouting, then a cold February that tricked them into thinking they had lived through a winter. I love fooling Mother Nature.

Still not sure what I will be sowing on the solstice. I might wait a bit this year. I'm hoping to add more perennials, but I'm not sure where I'll put them all.

• ljpother
    14 years ago

Last frost is May 24. I shouldn't plant anything before March, indoors or out. Maybe I'll plant at the vernal equinox.

• shinyalloy_5
    14 years ago

It's tough to decide, I have a no fruit no grow policy as far as trees grow. Needless to say I haven't got any fruit tree seeds for zone 5, if I had believe me I'd share. I cannot even think of seeds of remembrance right now with my friend in the VA hospital, perhaps for him I should just honor life bright and unabashed as him (yet I know not what plant would honor a man that lives such a life) I suppose the liveliest thing I can wintersow, so far that has been gazanias, and for faith I will once again try to sow passion fruit, for the fond childhood memory of stomping on "baby watermelons" in the Carolinas, giants at 3 foot 2 inches. I know you all have your own stories to tell, and I hope you'll share.

MARY

• pippi21
    14 years ago

Stupid question but I keep hearing about this winter soltice. What is that?

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

I am finally going to participate in the "official" Solstice Sow this year. Usually I just sow general seeds...not giving it ANY thought. I at least have 2 ready to go:

A plum that a friend gave me for Life-fruit.
    A maple tree for Ma Nature.
    Still need to give some thought to the other 2.

Anyone have any ideas for Zone 5ers who need a Zone 6 plant? Would seem that the zones are very close, so would be hard to find one that wouldn't necessarily do well in 5.