Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Sketching Out Garden Ideas

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Besides prepping my containers, I'm sketching out my garden plan for next year and so far I have what's going in the front of the house (well where it faces the road) and that faces south. It's not a very large space so I only have a few flowers planned for there. I'm thinking all perennials, but that can change lol. The rosebush I planted this past spring is in the center, under the window. It gets orange flowers (it's called Sundowner and boy does it smell good!). Around it, I'm thinking of putting the Maltese Cross and at the ends I'm planning on planting the Joe Pye Weed since I read they can get tall.

My butterfly garden I'll be moving out about 6 inches in diameter so I'll place a few more flowers there. Ah a gardener's work is never done. Anyone else here planning their gardens for next year?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (5)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I'm not planning so much as I am assessing what may need to be moved now that most of the tops of the massive oak trees are snapped off. My little green acre will get considerably more hours of full sun from here on thanks to the damage wreaked by Storm Alfred. Most things should be okay but there are a few I'll keep a close eye on next year to see if they need new homes. I have a lot of hosta that are planted in what I'm guessing will now be full sun starting next year and in the years ahead. The coral bells got crispy this year even with just a couple midday hours of hot sun and the Japanese sedge grass is a shade lover that I have growing near the hosta and coral bells. I'm guessing there'll be quite a bit of put-n-take next growing season.

• tomerrol
    12 years ago

Brad I draw out my garden plans on paper also, for flowers and veggies. I did this last fall, for 2011. But now I'm moving plants to better positions in the garden. This is because I am an "inexperience gardener! lol, but I am told thats the fun of gardening, "always changing" things. I have made my plans on paper for 2012, and built the new lasagna beds for a veggie garden. Of course a veggie garden is always changing from year to year.
    Tom

• drippy
    12 years ago

Brad, sounds nice! Tomerrol, the big-time gardeners around here - the master gardeners and the ones who write columns for the newspaper - say you're not a real gardener until you've moved a plant at least five times, LOL.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gardenweed, you've been through a lot lately and it sounds like you have more work to do. I'm sure when it's all done, it'll be as beautiful as ever!

Tom, lol I'm an inexperienced gardener myself and next spring I'll be moving a rosebush and a clematis to different spots in the garden. My sketches and where I want to plant flowers are always changing. Our veggie garden (three concrete bottomless planters out back that get eastern sun) changes every year too but we always grow tomatoes :). There is a fourth one but that's for flowers or herbs.

Drippy, thank you! lol Moving a plant five times sounds like me with the clematis I mentioned. It's a very pretty purple one called The President.

Not sure yet what I'm going to plant in the butterfly garden. Butterfly Weed is the only thing I can think of right now. Maybe plant an outer ring of Zinnias all the way around. I have Nicotiana alata 'Fragrant Cloud' and Nicotiana sylvestris seeds I got in trades and they might go into the butterfly garden too.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

I plan my gardens for life! First year I typically plant annuals in new areas (that way I have crop rotation for vegetables): veggies, some annual flowers and herbs. That gives me a year to get ws perennials going, which especially shrubs need. So I plan out my garden with annuals that grow roughly the size and color of perennials I will put in the space, that way I can review and edit as needed. For example, this year I planted a fence length of okra. I have now planted (pursed, now WS) shrubs and fruiting shrubs. They'll grow the height of the okra and my neighbors mentioned that they really liked the screening the Okra afforded. Its a fun way to plan ahead!

Sponsored