Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

That annual catalog thread! Whatcha got in the mail?

girlgroupgirl
11 years ago

Although I love to save and trade seeds, I also like to drool over catalogs. I've tried to reduce my paper catalog clutter, and now only receive a few, but I still like to look around online, and of course, drool through pages of those I get.

So far Pinetree is the first!

I also snooped thru Johnny's online. I noticed a new eyeless "eyeball plant" = spilanthes that seems pretty neato (I like weird).

Whatcha go?

Comments (24)

• aquawise
    11 years ago

I have Pinetree and Indiana Beery.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

I received my Stokes catalog today.

• jaynine
    11 years ago

Geo, Thompson & Morgan, Seedhunt and Pinetree, so far. Plants of Distinction 2013 is available online. I hope some more come soon!

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I just went online to Swallowtail Seeds and spent $50 in no time. I was amazed that they didn't charge me any shipping! I don't know if it was the holiday weekend or the size of my order, but I never saw any shipping charges show up. Great for me. I'll certainly continue to order from them in the future.

I don't know if my catalogs will find me, since I moved last fall. But I enjoy online shopping almost as much.

• lizbest1
    11 years ago

I tried wintersowing for the 1st time last winter and it was great! I've haunted this forum and looked up sites to get seeds for some of the beautiful flowers you guys have posted pic of--T's Flowers & Things and Everwilde Farms have a great selection of the things I was looking for. I'm going to look at Pinetree after posting this. I'm so looking forward to wintersowing this season!!

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Linzin, thanks for the heads up on Everwilde Farms, great deals.

Docmom, Swallowtail does not charge S&H if your order is over $30.00 which makes it great.

• Edie
    11 years ago

I haven't received any winter seed catalogs yet but wanted to add my thoughts. I always order online but like having a paper catalog to write in and drag all over the house. I'm still pawing through last year's catalogs.

Pinetree is wonderful. I've been using them since 2000. I love their "kitchen sink" greens mix. Make sure to check their book section. I bought some of what have become my favorite garden books that way. This is the best time of year to order from them. Every spring they get swamped with orders and service slows to a crawl. Order now and you will get your order much faster.

Swallowtail has also had great seeds, great service. I have yet to order enough from Swallowtail in one shot to get the free shipping, but they have inexpensive shipping anyway. They always send my seeds fast.

I've only ordered once so far from Johnny's. I keep their catalog on the bookshelf as a reference book for the incredibly detailed growing information.

New favorites this year include Select Seeds and Summer Hill Seeds. They have beautiful, unusual stuff. They are also rated high in the Garden Watchdog, top 5 in their respective categories. (I now check ratings of unknown companies before ordering. Wish I had known about that site years ago.) Both sent me my seeds within a week, with a hand-selected bonus pack of seeds with my order. Summer Hill even added a handwritten thank you note. I did a second order with Select in October because they had a 40% off sale. If you like Select, give them your email and they will send a note the next time they have a sale.

Edie

• nana8
    11 years ago

HPS Catalogue came a couple of weeks ago. Prior to that I received one from Germania, Harris, and Netherland Bulb Co. Lots to look at. Wish I had more time, but Christmas is fast approaching.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

I got Bakers Heirloom Catalog today, see some Calendula's I must have.

• jaynine
    11 years ago

Fedco, Totally Tomatoes and Vermont Bean Seed have all shown up.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    11 years ago

Coming back after a two year exile. :O) Will be renting a home starting in Feb. and have 'carte-blanche' in the gardening of the property. First place I went to was Garden's North! Placed a $100.00+ order and have been coveting the seeds since their arrival!!!

And yes, I will be winter sowing Blue Poppies again!

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

I got Parks Seeds today. They are starting to come in regularly. I am getting excited to WS.

• PVick
    11 years ago

Tiffy!! Great to "see" you again! And good to kbnow you will be able to garden again. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I have been tossing all magazines into a basket by the door. So I don't know which, if any, seed catalogs have arrived. Soon, I will have the courage to toss them in the trash in the lobby, before even getting up here. Soon.

PV

• socalgardengal
    11 years ago

Just got Seed Savers Exchange, Baker Creek, Thompson & Morgan and Peaceful Valley. My first time gardening, such beautiful catalogs! Decisions Decisions... Any recomendations for other catalogs????
    Happy holidays and gardening to all!

• lizbest1
    11 years ago

Just got my order in from Summerhill Seeds! Ordered 18 varieties and they included a 2 packet bonus, different varieties of 2 types I ordered, nice to get bonuses they know you'd be interested in. Now I'm waiting for an order from Swallowtail and Gardens North.....This thread has been a bad influence! But it sure is fun....

• aquawise
    11 years ago

Got Seeds Saver, Vermont Been, Totally Tomatoes.

• vajeff
    11 years ago

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, The Terra Ceia Farms, Forestfarm (HUGE list of plants), Plant Delights Nursery, Jackson & Perkins. Most of them aren't seed catalogs but are definitely worth a read! I'm waiting for Brent & Becky's Bulbs, Richters, Seed Savers Exchange, and a few others.

• alwaysagarden
    11 years ago

Prairie Moon Nursery- Native Gardeners Companion Spring 2012.
    Lots of wildflowers in this catalog and great information. I live in No. Calif.and get very hot summers so this catalog I think will really help me figure out some new things to try!!
    I see lots of catalogs already posted that I love as well.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

I got Territorial Seeds Co. cat. today.

• beth_b_kodiak
    11 years ago

I have gotten several, but, Bakers Creek is my hands down favorite, Pine Tree is close behind and I probably spend most of my money there. LOL Love catalos in general but think T&M send way too many
    BB

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

I got Burpees and Jung's yesterday.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Just chiming in to say I've gotten a few catalogs, but am ignoring them and seed sites this winter. I collected a lot of seed this fall, got some seeds from a friend, and have so many seeds from previous years, the packets have filled up the produce drawer in the fridge, and starting to take up some shelf space too!

So I don't think I'll be buying much in the way of seeds, but you never know...could pick up a pack here and there, and last March I got crazed and bought more Daylily seeds than I should have from the Lily Auction.

PS Hey Tiffy, just noticed you posted here! Glad to hear you are getting a place where you can garden again. Sweet! Are you going to grow lotsa milkweed? :)

• ryseryse_2004
    11 years ago

My favorite for browsing through (but never purchasing anything from) is the Burpee catalog. It is so inviting -- the pictures are just lovely. I know the catalog costs lots to print and their prices show it!!

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Totally Tomatoes was first, along with Harris. R.H. Shumway's, Jung and Burpee have all arrived in the last week.

Usually I'd shun burpee, but the size of that paste tomato on the cover has me intrigued. If you can tomatoes, check it out.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner