Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
another question!

Posted by tomerrol z7atn (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 10, 11 at 13:08

lol, when I was in school, you can see why my teachers "loved" me! All the questions I ask! but I have a question about when the best time to put that ws seedling into the garden, when it has the true set of leaves, or maybe when it first sprouts? I did not find this in the FAQ section. I know this may take in consideration if the garden soil is warm enough also.
thanks
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: another question!

Tom--
You can plant anytime after it has it's true set of leaves. Some people don't get them planted until fall (or even the next year). Not that I would ever do that. yeah right.
I've even planted annuals out that have been exposed to freezing temps. They're tough little buggers.
Duane

o

I've seen comments about first set of true leaves or second set of true leaves but for me it comes down to when I have the time and when I feel comfortable handling them. Tom, you've seen my pot ghetto & sprout photos but I'll post others if it'll give you a better picture.

o

thank you Duane, for the info..Eileen, I still bring up your pot ghetto pictures and study them and just hope I can do 1/3 as well. any pictures you post are great and very informative.
thanks to you both
Tom

o
RE: yet another question!

Thanks Tom - glad they're of use to you. I also use non-garden type implements when removing seedlings from the container bottoms, including a kitchen pie server to divide & lift sections of them out of the milk jugs, spoons of different sizes from infant to soup, and have also cut the sides of the milk jugs away to make removal of sprouts less disruptive to the roots. With the spoons, I take a good-sized amount of the surrounding potting mix along with the sprout, poke a same-size hole in the receiving container with my thumb, gently set the sprout in it and firm the soil around the plug.

o

that is a great idea Eileen. I would think that removing the sprout is very much the most important part of ws, it would be terrible to plant seed, nourish it to sprout, then kill it by not properly removing it from the jug to the garden. A vey important point you have made. better get me some spoons and table knives!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here