Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cateyanne

saving sweet potato vine

cateyanne
16 years ago

I grew sweet potato vine for the first time this year and when I was digging up the plants I came across these lovely "potatoes" and just can't throw them away (which was my intention) I read that all I have to do is bring them in and store in a cool, dry place. Is that really all there is to it? should I make sure they are washed first? should they be stored in sand or some other medium? In the dark? What do I do with them in the spring, just stick in the ground and watch em grow? sounds so simple, has anyone actually done this from year to year? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

I have save and re-sown sweet potato tubers. I washed mine then, but now I would not bother, got them fully dried, placed them in a brown paper bag, and stored them in the dark in my basement. I potted them up in the early spring and put them in a south-facing window so they were growing by the time it was frost-free. But now, I just buy a sweet potato, cut out the eyes and pot them up. Sometimes, it's dificult to find the chartreuse ones in the store, so to be safe you may want to save them.
    Northerner.

• monipsych
    16 years ago

I have never grown sweet potato vine but would love to! Is it really that easy? When would you get them started? Thanks!
    Monica

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I didn't grow mine from sweet potatoes I purchased from the store, but that sounds like fun, from what type of sweet potato do you get those colored vines? I just assumed those were a special decorative breed and not the kind you eat. The little tubers I dug up from my decorative vine don't look much like the sweet potatoes I eat. they are small and white- can they be eaten?

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

A few years ago I read that they were edible so baked a few. They tasted awful!

The grocery store sweet potato that we started (toothpick method) when my son was small had plain green leaves. How do you know which ones will be chartruese?

Roots are already filling the bottles of the cuttings that I took a couple of weeks ago.

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

The sweet potatoes that produce the chartreuse leaves have a pretty pink, thin skin, and very white flesh. They are not very easy to find - you need to go into a store with southern produce. The other ones with the thicker pink skin and cream flesh yield green plants. The tubers we get from the potatoes grown in our gardens are edible, but not tasty because they are not mature. Monica, I usually start them the same time I start my peppers indoors - late March for me this far north. I grew up in the south and there are many varieties of potatoes and maybe there are others which produce chartreuse leaves, but this is the only one I know of for certain.

• monipsych
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info! Toothpick method????? So to try and get this straight. Let the sweet potato develop eyes cut a piece out put it in soil, on the window sill, outside, WS? And viola? Sorry to seem a little dense.
    TY
    Monica

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm sorry for sounding so dense as well. Do I need to let my sweet potato vine stay in the soil long enough for it to develop eyes? I think we would get a freeze before that, supposedly we'll get one tonight! How do you tell when the eyes have developed without digging them up first?

Sponsored