Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
river_crossroads

Zone Wars! We need a counter!

Hi all, we need a counter for Zone Wars - Dec 22, 2011 Winter Solstice through May 1, 2012. As gardenweed asked recently, "Is anyone stepping up to keep track of the container count by zone for the Zone Wars?" This is our annual battle by zone, see links for more info.

Newbies welcome. I think Manda was a newbie last year when she volunteered to be the counter.

I will be delighted to help someone get the spreadsheet going but I am not the right person to be the counter. Life for me is busy & I only put out a few jugs in my warm climate where many plants are perennial. Neither Emily/Hostarookie nor Manda has replied to my e-mail inquiry. Hope that they are ok.

It would be nice to have 2 people, a counter and a backup, in case the counter gets the flu, gets hit by a terrible storm, etc, etc.

Many ways to do the count. If someone likes the excel format, I've got the spreadsheet from last year set up online at free googledocs. Excel on your harddrive is not required for this method, but Em thought it was faster/easier to type in excel on her harddrive & copy columns into the online spreadsheet, which simply gets updated. Dial-up internet works but slugglishly I am told. With high speed internet it is a snap. It is all set up, just needs someone to type in screen names and jug count. Or choose another way to do the count as there are various possibilities. Any takers?

Suggestion: Keep it simple, fancy formatting can be time consuming. But jazz it up as you wish!

Links that might be useful:

Empty spreadsheet that's available online - permissions need to be set

Spreadsheet from last year

Word doc so you will need to click more than once within the doc (loads slowly):

Links to previous zone wars threads

Comments (7)

• terrene
    12 years ago

Hi River, JUST logged on and saw your post 5 minutes later, and figured this is fate, so I would be happy to volunteer to be the counter this year. Things might be a little hectic right around Christmas, but I still should be able to count (hopefully if I have access to wifi).

If someone else is particularly eager to do it, they are welcome. But if no one else volunteers, I'll do it!

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great! Fate! Love the rhyme. Thanks, Terrene! There are some choices on googledocs that I would like to send by e-mail but I am thinking that I should wait a little while and just go with the flow. Glad to be getting ready early for ws'ing & really appreciate your post.

• NancyPlants
    12 years ago

I'd be happy to help with the count if you're still needing a backup/helper.
    Last year was my first WSing experience and watching the 'count' was fun :)

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

If I'm a full time student, otherwise, I would like to have done it. Sometimes, I don't use my computer 3 in a row.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Nancy! We definitely need you for the backup. It sounds like maybe Terrene wants to wait just a little while to see if anyone else is eager to be the counter. When we get that decided I need to send you e-mail and set up the "Share" on the spreadsheet, then you will be able to log in and change it if you need to. Appreciate the offers & the fast responses.

Ladyrose, thanks for your support! It can be on your "do to" list for after you graduate and are settled into a new job. Remember that you have already volunteered so we can hold you to it :-) What are you studying?

• terrene
    12 years ago

Hey river and Nancy, I am happy to do it, I just may need some backup around Xmas because I will be away this year.

The spreadsheet looks pretty straightforward. I have excel on my HD but it is version 2002 - do you know if it works with an older version? Otherwise, I'm assuming you can work with it online.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Wonderful, Terrene, thanks so much! I used your e-mail address from your member page and set the spreadsheet to share with that address. You should get an e-mail from googledocs with a link. You will need to use that same e-mail address to sign in & you will need to set up a password of your choosing. If you ever wish to use another e-mail address, just e-mail it to me. I can delete the first and add the second very easily. You can start experimenting and play around with it.

You could either type in your own excel or try copying part of a column from last year's spreadsheet into your own excel. Save. Copy it into this year's spreadsheet, then make revisions. You can use the link above to see how your spreadsheet will look when you post a link in the forum.

BTW "Save" is tricky. It autosaves, then you can't save yourself because it is already saved. Sometimes you will see a "Save changes" in the top middle section.

Also, I have 2 e-mail addresses listed in the share, it is just me, twice, long story. You and Nancy can have more than one listed, too, if you find it helpful.

Nancy, I will need to send you e-mail, then if you will respond I can get you set up. Sometimes there are quirks in getting things going but with a little patience, we should get it! Thanks again, Terrene and Nancy.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH