Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clarification on hardy annuals vs. annuals ZONE 5/6

Posted by bookjunky4life 5/6 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 17, 09 at 15:23

I have gone back and researched the seeds I have ordered so far from cheapseeds and valueseeds. I want to make sure I thoroughly understand what I can sow during the dead of winter and what needs to wait until March/April. Please confirm or contradict my current understanding. I guess I want to know when others in my zone would typically sow these seeds.

The following appear to be perennial in my Zone 5/6, which I understand I could sow anytime in late December/Jan/Feb:
Delphinium Pacific Hybrid Mix
Echinacea purpurea Magnus
Musk Mallow pirouette
Malva Brave Heart
Butterfly Bush
Chicory
Pansy Swiss Giants
Hibiscus moscheuto Disco Belle Mix
Indian Spring Hollyhocks

And half-hardy annuals (according to the plant descriptions)which I am unsure whether they are earlier sown or require later sown:
Morning Glory heavenly blue
Marigold Solan

And hardy annuals, which I would understand can be sown in Dec/Jan/Feb here:
Five Spot
Morning Glory dwarf ensign mix
Morning Glory light blue flash
Love-in-a-mist

And Biennial - sow in Dec/Jan/Feb?:
Foxglove Excelsior Hybrid Mix

The rest did not specify if they were or were not hardy annuals so I assume they are "regular" annuals and would do better sown in March/April:
Black Eyed Susan vine
Painted Daisy
Zinnia Red Spider
Petunia super cascade
Rose Mallow
Gloriosa Daisy

Please futher confirm my understanding that a hardy annual is one that seeds and seedlings can withstand frosts but will die after flowering, while regular annuals cannot take frost and will die after flowering. Am I correct in thinking of a biennial as a two-year perennial?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clarification on hardy annuals vs. annuals ZONE 5/6

• Posted by trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 17, 09 at 15:59

Hardy annuals, perennials and biennials can be sown anytime after the Winter Solstice; you can, if you desire, hold off on the tender annuals until the end of Winter.

o

Thanks Trudi. And the reason you would hold off until end of winter is so that there would be no frost once the seeds sprout.

o

That leads me to another question. I have been told that with W/S you have no damp off. So if you hold off to plant annuals till just before end of frost, will you again have to worry about damp off?
Tammy

o

Painted Daisy could be either an annual or a perennial, depending on what its botanical name is.

Here are Painted Daisies at Michigan Bulb and they are perennials. I have had them and they come in different shades of pink and a bright red color. I 'think the botanical name might be Tanacetum coccineum and they have very ferny like foliage.

Painted DaisyChrysanthemum carinatum
are annuals though.

Sue

o

I started my petunia's in winter and they did fine. They start out really tiny too. I agree on the painted daisy comment and yes biennials are like two year perennials. First year growth second year beauty. They generally reseed well.
There were a few annuals that didn't mind the cold for me and I started in winter/snow. Dianthus, poppies, alyssum, viola's or pansies and petunias. In my z.5 I had to wait till frost was past for cosmos, marigolds, morning glories and four o clocks.

o

Sue, have you ordered from Stock Seed? How was germination?

They have a few things all in one place that I could use and would like to try this year.

Thanks.

Leslie

o

Tammy- no.

o

Sue, have you ordered from Stock Seed? How was germination?
No, I can't remember when I have ever ordered any seed on line, because of all the great trading to be had here as well as folks just sharing.

o

Regarding the painted daisies, while researching what annuals might be hardy annuals, I noticed that there were sites that listed painted daisies as perennials but they were the pinks and reds. Mine are the white with yellow and burgundy and other colors. Cheapseeds lists them as annuals as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here