Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Butterfly Bush seeds come true to color?

Posted by ladyrose65 6bNJ (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 15:50

I WS'd red, black and white Butterfly bush seeds. The one's that germinated and sprouted came up blue. I got my seeds from T's. Are the red, black and white hybrids of the blue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Butterfly Bush seeds come true to color?

The species Buddleja davidii is naturally a mauvy/purple colour. The other colours are hybrids and therefore cannot be guaranteed to come true from seed. You'll just have to wait and hope that you get something interesting.

o

Thank You Flora, I hate ditching the plants, but my neighbors don't want any bushes. I am wondering has anyone gotten a true red, white or black from seeds?

o

I once got a white from seeds but if you knew how many I have winter sown in a dozen years you might give up on trying to get something specific in colour from Buddleia seeds. :O)

o

Buudleja is simple from cuttings. That's the only reliable way to get clones of specific varieties. Just stick your prunings into the ground and forget about them.

o

Thank You Tiffy and Flora, this means they will be a nursery purchase. I've went thru several seed packets from different seed companies. They all sprouted blue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here