Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
List of seeds not to bother trying WS with?

Posted by ComfreyComfort 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 9, 11 at 16:07

I'm sure there are some seeds that aren't good candidates to try with WS. Does such a list exist? I am mostly interested in annual and perennial edibles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: List of seeds not to bother trying WS with?

Well green beans would be on my list..they need to be direct seeded and I don't think corn is good to WS either.
Joann

o

I don't know if there are seeds that shouldn't be winter-sown, but there are some seeds that are simply easier to direct sow. I direct sow large veggie seeds like beans, cucumbers, and squash. Also rows of veggies like lettuce, carrots and beets. I scatter the seeds for some herbs like Dill and Cilantro, or let them reseed, and grow them in between perennials.

Some seedlings don't like to be transplanted and do very well by scattering seed, like poppies or larkspur. I also direct sow a large patch of tall Zinnias every year, and that works great.

o

Pole beans and corn both reseed in my garden. Sometimes pole beans sprout in the lawn--I think these may be unfound squirrel deposits.

Is there anything which should not be WinterSown?

Yes. Do not winter sow seeds of plants from the the tropics. Sub-tropical is fine to try if you sow towards the end of Winter, but tropical seeds don't fare well in a temperate winter.

o

I have WS green beans & corn successfully, but have had trouble transplanting onions of any kind that I have WSed - they just seem to keel over and die. I didn't have so much trouble with WSing alliums when I lived up north, but here, I've only had luck direct sowing them.

o

Drippy, I do bunching onions or scallions and plant them out via HOS, these types don't seem to mind the crowding and don't wither as much after transplant.

o

Thanks, Trudi - I tried small hunks, but maybe they were just too small. I love bunching onions/scallions, and you & I are in the same zone, so I will give it a shot this spring. I might actually be able to get some winter ones in down here, but not tonight - down to 28 degrees by morning!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here