Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planning for winter sowing

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 16:08

No more mistakes from years before! I bought my Pro Mix and luckily, they had two bales left --- both were water-logged and weighed a ton but at least I got them in time. I have put enough in 5 gal. buckets and am keeping them indoors so they won't be frozen when I am ready to use them. (lessons learned!)

I have ordered the seeds I want and have saved what I need to do my project after the holidays. I ordered from Pinetree Garden Seeds for the first time --- prices are reasonable.

Unfortunately I had bad experiences with a couple of traded seeds so am buying what I need this year. (grew butterfly weed that was supposed to be orange but turned out pink and white --- not at all what I wanted.)

One other thing. I am putting pallets on my concrete patio to put the milk jugs on. Sometimes when they are sitting on the concrete, they don't drain adequately so I think this will alleviate that problem. Also - I will tie the handles together to keep them from blowing away in high wind. I think that's it for me ----- suggestions from you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planning for winter sowing

no suggestions, but thanks for the reminder. It's hard to think about soil when the nite temps are down to the '30's, but I should go out and see if I can find any....

o

I had to laugh at this line: "...I have put enough in 5 gal. buckets and am keeping them indoors..."

Oh my, yes, how many times have I stood outside freezing while chiseling off a pot full of frozen-solid potting mix from the big bale, to bring it inside to thaw? And of course, it's only enough for like, two jugs, lol, so back outside with the knife to chisel some more. Sheesh.

One thing I like to do early, if I have the time, is to put all the holes in the bottom of my jugs. This way, I can work outside while it's still fairly comfortable out there - I use a soldering iron and this really needs ventilation.

Always remember the year I actually opened a window, set up two fans, and literally put the holes in the milk jugs holding them in the window, blowing the smoke, fumes - and my expensive heat! - out the window. My kids came home from school and asked who was blowing out birthday candles, lol. My DH would have had a heart attack if he ever knew....

Dee

o

Right with you on the smell - I also use a soldering iron for the holes - much quicker and easier than a knife. One year, I put my potting soil in the microwave to kill all the knats that were in it (Miracle Grow). Now thats a real smell!!!!!

Haven't had the knat problem since I started using ProMix.

o

I add a few holes along the bottom sides of jugs in case the bottom holes get plugged. This is enough that the jugs can stay on the cement patio. My patio has walls on three sides so don't normally need to worry about wind.

Bales of ProMix are kept in our unheated garage and DH brings one in to the basement a week before I need it so it can thaw out.

No soldering iron for me, an ice pick type tool works well, doesn't stink and needs no electricity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here