Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenweed_z6a

Storm Albert aftermath - the visual (pics)

gardenweed_z6a
12 years ago

Somers, CT is a small rural town of horse farms and quiet, friendly neighborhoods where most everyone has lived their entire lives. The snow began to fall just before 5 o'clock on Saturday, October 29, 2011. Within minutes, limbs began to snap, crack and either break off and fall or get caught in the trees' remaining high branches. The power went out less than twenty minutes after the storm began--just enough time for me to turn off the laptop--and was finally back on (where I am) at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, November 8. I resized these to make them smaller and hope they don't revert to their full size:

Looking east through my breezeway--thats my driveway and what was between me and the road. The wire is cable--electrical wires were ripped right off the house.

{{gwi:451443}}

When it was over - looking south at the front lawn & Crabapple Corner bed. Those snow humps are downed branches that crushed the perennials flat.

{{gwi:451444}}

The branch from the neighbor's tree that punctured my garage roof. There were toad lilies in bloom just beneath it.

{{gwi:451445}}

Looking south down my street & the reason 830,000 homes were without power for so long

From my neighbor's driveway, looking south towards the eastern half of my little green acre

{{gwi:451447}}

Off the back of the breezeway, behind the garage

{{gwi:451448}}

Looking west from the road once the snow melted & after we'd cut & dragged debris off the driveway

{{gwi:451449}}

The front lawn & what's left of my crabapple tree. NB - mailbox flag is UP...I mailed SEEDS!

{{gwi:451450}}

Thanks to everyone who posted good wishes, prayers and high hopes for a speedy recovery from the storm. It remains to be seen if that will happen but it's a testament to my neighbors' humanity & resourcefullness that Roland used his chainsaw to help a neighbor with downed tree limbs, I used my truck to help the new family from Wisconsin haul their downed branches to the designated debris area, other neighbors checked on elderly residents to help them find temporary shelter or hung bright-colored tape/plastic shopping bags/t-shirts to dangling tree limbs or wires that posed safety risks.

I don't ever want to drive across another downed electrical wire in this lifetime. I did it--day after day--because there was no other choice. I suspect that's something I'll learn to do as weather extremes become the norm.

My hat's off to the shelter volunteers, town road crews, imported power workers from around the country & others who eventually came to the rescue of cold, hungry, storm-weary Connecticut citizens.

Comments (8)

• trudi_d
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Weather has been awful this season, I'm so sorry to see you got the worst of it. We're strongly considering buying our own generator this year, Ma Nature is not going to be mellowing in the coming years.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

I'm glad you're ok. So crazy to see all that snow and then see it just melted and gone...

All those downed branches and tree limbs.. wow, what a mess! Just shows how we can pull together during the times of trouble though. Sounds like you have great neighbors!

Hugs!
    ~Wendy

• tomva
    12 years ago

Terrible,Terrible,Terrible,I'm glad your back and that you are alright..Hopefully the worst storm of the season is already behind you..

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

That's enough to convince me I never want to see snow when there are still leaves on the trees. And what a wet miserable mess it must have been when melting and no power to your house :(

I do understand your appreciation for everyone trying to help, working towards getting things back to normal - it kind of sheds a different light on what's important and whats important is people, an event like yours can really change priorities.

I don't know what to say about your trees, it will probably be Spring before you know the extent of lasting damage there. The good news is, I suspect your perennial things, things lower, are going to surprise you and most will recover where you'd think crushed - those will be greeting you at the end of winter.

I hope the next 4-5 months go really, really smoothly for you and you have quiet, uneventful, normal weather from here on out till Spring - I think you've paid your dues this year already :)

• tomerrol
    12 years ago

Gardenweed, that is some mess! Its so good to know you have good neighbors in a time like that. That is really alot of trees down and all the limbs! At least you came through all this without harm to yourself. And to believe that you sent me a seed pack during this mess!!!
    Wish I lived close enough to help you, I'm pretty good with a chainsaw.
    take care
    Tom

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Gardenweed, I'm glad you weren't hurt. Just a day with no power is so miserable, nobody should have to wait as long as you did in this day and age to have power restored.

Karen

• ghoghunter
    12 years ago

How awful for you to have to endure through all that! I am so glad all is well now. What a beautiful property you have there! I also hope that your garden bounces back better than ever. Wishing you the best
    Joann

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

Glad to see you are back online and folks in your area are getting their power back.

The branch through the garage roof looks like a real bummer, hope the home insurance helps pay for repairs...

You have such a pretty house, I love that blue color.