Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wintersown containers

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 10, 11 at 19:12

Does anybody wintersow directly in their patio pots/containers? Can I take my containers, sow a couple marigold seeds, some cosmo seeds, some alyssum seeds? Or am I better off sowing the plants in individual containers and then transplanting them after they have established?

I'm just West of Boston. Is it realistic of me to expect to wintersow annuals and have them blooming by early June?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wintersown containers

Pixie lou, from what I've read on this forum many people do that. I think the important thing is to cover the pot to make a mini greenhouse. I have large water bottles that go in a water cooler that I have cut the bottoms off and I am going to use those as my "greenhouse". I wonder if a clear plastic bag over the pots would work to hold in moisture? Maybe you could make a frame to hold the bags up a little. Be sure to make holes in the bag for air. Good luck.

o

My husband has access to lots of catering trays at work. So I was thinking of sitting a clear dome of a catering tray on top of the container pot and taping it on to make my "greenhouse". With the smaller containers I was going to try a piece of saranwrap held on with a rubber band.

o

Pixie Lou,
The rubber bands are very susceptible to decay in the sun. They become brittle and break and the plastic wrap blows away. As inconvenient/messy as it seems, you're better off taping or clothes-pinning the plastic to the containers, in my experience.

Martha

o

Thanks Martha. I will stop saving rubber bands and now I have a use for my old plastic clothespins.

o

I use plastic cups to winter sow in and just stretch the cheap sandwich bags over them. I don't have to secure them with anything. When I did a bunch of different containers I used plastic and an embossing gun to shrink rap the tops then added air holes.

o

I sowed in gallon black nursery pots and a gallon zip lock bag fits over the top perfectly. I just cut a small hole in the top of the bag!
Joann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here