Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planning

Posted by moonwolf Z6 Central PA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 19:41

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't been around lately. I haven't gotten many seeds from my own plants this year. I do have some common milkweed and purple ironweed (I have LOTS of it, some still on the flower stalks). I am happy that I did get one seedpod from my Butterfly Weed that I will be sowing on the Solstice :).

I haven't made out my seed wish list yet, but I'm not going overboard like I did last year. I planted way too many containers and some never even got planted :(. I'm going to go get some ideas of what I want to plant :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planning

Hi, Brad! I'm jealous of your Iron Weed. You sent me seeds last year and none of the germinated. I ordered plants from an online source, but they got forgotten in my move last fall and I found them months later in the garage at my old house. If you've really got lots of seeds, I'd love to try again. Check out my trade list and see if there is anything you'd like. You're welcome to as much as you want, whether or not you send me the Iron Weed. Good to hear from you again.

Martha

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 22:51

Hi Brad. I didn't collect many seeds this year either, like Docmom, I'm making a move. We've bought a house 6 minutes away on 3/4s acre - I've been busy digging up and potting plants, but the new (to me) gardens need some work before I can do any planting.

I'll do some sowing when things aren't quite so busy (we won't be moved and in until next week), but I've got ivy to dig out, several old rhododendrons and azaleas that are past their prime, and I need to convince the deer those gardens not their space - there have been deer in the yard every time I've been there :)

Hopefully by the solstice, life won't be so frantic, I'll have to decide what to sow that's special. It sounds like you're getting the hang of gardening, just sow what's appealing to you that you know you'll enjoy and grow well :)

o

Martha, I sent you an e-mail ;-).

Morz8, I remember ivy is not a fun plant to cut back and we can relate to the deer part too lol. I wish I had more room for plants, but after this scorching summer, hauling the watering cans around proved to be quite a chore. Hopefully, you'll have a hose or at least an easily accessible outdoor water spigot for your garden.

My favorite wildlife around here are the butterflies and moths. Hummingbirds are great too, but butterflies and moths will always have the number one spot in my heart to attract to my garden. That's why I make an effort to sow plants like Butterfly Weed and Milkweeds and Rue each year, just for them.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here