Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What causes a plant to wilt or die back to nothing?

Posted by ladyrose65 6bNJ (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 20:46

I am not having any luck with penstomens, Lobelia cardinalis, delphinum's, milkweed and some species of Asters. They get to a certain height and then I don't see them anymore. I don't see a critter damage. They just disappear, with the exception of milkweed which I can't even get to germinate.
What causes such drastic dieback? I have really good soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What causes a plant to wilt or die back to nothing?

I am new to ws'ing but have grown things from seed and when seedlings die back to nothing, in my experience, it has been from keeping pots too wet and/or fungal attacks due to lack of ventilation. There are prob. a lot of other reasons but I tend to kill things by tending them too well :)

o

Thanks aidas, but I'm talking after they have been planted.

o

oops, I'm sorry I got the scenario COMPLETELY wrong...hope someone else can come up w/an answer. Though when things disappear w/out a trace, overnight it's often rabbits or deer and there wouldn't be signs of critters because the plant is gone entirely :(

o

Several things come to mind. Consider
- if they really completely disappear, I'd strongly suspect critters of some sort. Voles dig them up or eat the roots. Rabbits eat them. And I've seen birds pluck seedlings from the ground and fly off with them, nesting material I guess.
- consider sun exposure. They can fry in too much, or just whither away if surrounding plants grow tall enough to block enough light.
-water, either too little or too much.

Karen

o

Thank You Adidas and Karen,
I am suspecting Large surrounding plants and sun exposure. I did put a Tithonia plant right smack in the middle of everything. I'm going to have to be really careful where I place the plants next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here