Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hibiscusfan

Seed Sources?

What are your favorite seed ordering sites? I want to order some seeds and would like to know companies that are reliable and have good seeds.

Comments (8)

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Swallowtail, Pinetree, Stokes, Diane's,

It really depends on what you're looking for. For common plants, cheapseeds.com is good and cheap, but they don't have unusual things.

Wildflowers might best be bought elsewhere. (I've used Wildseed Farms). Veggies might be best from still other vendors.

Karen

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Diane's, Hazzard's & Swallowtail offer most every seed type I'm interested in growing. Hazzard's sells in larger quantities so the unit price is often lower but I comparison shop between the three to find the best deal. Both Diane's & Hazzard's have outstanding, top-quality customer service. Hazzard's generally offers free shipping on New Year's Eve--I've ordered on NYE the past two years & got free shipping. They also have veggies in addition to annuals, perennials & grasses. Diane's has tomato seeds.

• ghoghunter
    12 years ago

I love Baker Creek Heirloom seeds for veggies. Select seeds is also great for flowers.
    Joann

• kimka
    12 years ago

I will second (or is that third) Diane's and Swallowtail.

I also like Geoseeds, even though they are more wholesale. They still sell retail with no minimum order. Last year, four of us each ordered some seeds, making sure not to duplicate. Then each of us split each seed packet into quarters and mailed a set to each of the other three people. It was a great way to get a bunch of different seeds less expensively and end up trying some things you might not have tried otherwise. And boy does Geoseeds have a lot of different things.

I also like Everwilde Farms.

The one action I always recommend is to check the rating on Garden Watchdog before you order seeds or plants if you don't already have a reading on a company.

• ellenrr
    12 years ago

Hi,
    there is a long thread on reliable seed companies, if you search the archive.
    I've ordered from Diane's and Swallowtail and like them too.
    I also had posted last year (or was it 2 years ago?) how I got badly shorted in quantity by Park seeds - with 3 different things that I ordered. I think Park then went bankrupt, and maybe under different management, so perhaps a different story now.

I also check Garden Watchdog and post there if I have a particularly good or bad experience.

This year I ordered cover crop seeds - red clover, and fenucreek - from Horizon Herbs. I was so impressed with their catalogue and with their customer service which was easy to reach and very helpful. And then I got the seeds, supposedly, 200 of one and 500 of the other. I had plans to share the seeds, cuz I only had a small area to cover.

Well, no way, were those counts accurate. I called, and they assured me they were accurate, and I let it go. Now that the seeds have germinated, I can see that I was right - not even close to the number that was on the envelope. So I would not order from them again.

I'm disappointed, as this is my 1st time doing cover crops. well...

the Baker Creek catalogue is a thing of beauty, and worth getting, even if you don't order.

ellen

• PVick
    12 years ago

Ditto on Diane's and Swallowtail; also T's Flowers and Things is a good source - really good germination. Other good ones for me are Harris Seeds and Summer Hill Seeds.

And like kimka said, check Garden Watchdog to get a read on any online seed/plant site.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I use most of the above mentioned. I use Hazzad's and Rene's seeds. I use Burpee if it's new and they have an exclusive on it like "Tutti-Frutti" snapdragon seeds.

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

I like Twilleys and GourmetSeed for bulk, for smaller packets you can't go wrong with Renee's Garden. And I just had the winning bids on three lots of daylily crosses at The Lily Auction--I've never used that site before so I can't say yet how well they'll germinate but the seller had a good rating, so I'm willing to take a chance, I expect that the purchase will be worth the investment of money and time.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus