Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Scarlet runner beans

Posted by linda0210 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 22:29

I had a bunch of pods sitting on the (very) dried vines, waiting for them to dry out. Needless to say, the storm on 10/29 got in the way so I cut what was out there. The vines were definately dry but some of the pods were still green. Are the seeds usable?

Should I remove them from the pods to dry or leave them inside the (slightly less) green pods until the pods are dry too? They are inside the house so no freeze on them.

Thanks
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Scarlet runner beans

Linda, I don't know if it matters if you leave them in the pods or not, but I have always taken them out of the pods and let them dry. I only retain the smooth, firm, ones for planting. The immature ones usually shrink when dry, get a little wrinkled, and I usually discard them. You may want to do a test on wet paper towels with a few just to verify they are viable.

o
RE: Help with Scarlet runner beans

thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here