Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micki777

newbie's winter sowing containers milk jugs step by step illustra

micki
12 years ago

Thought this might help someone else, that is if it passes the experienced WSowers criteria. Feel free to give your opinion here, but I think a picture is worth a 1,000 words so these pictures might be the start for someone else to figure out a better way to do this.

This is just what I did, and from the outset, it does no have to be this detailed. I don't make hundreds of milk jugs and wanted to reuse them next year.

I'm still unsure if I will use pipe cleaners to fasten the jugs together or tape but I thought I'd leave the option open.

If someone wants to use these illustrations that is fine, just let me know. Thought Trudi might like them on her website

wintersown.org

I've also included other containers.

Hopefully, if you run your cursor over the picture a discription will show up,

Having fun,

collecting more and more milk jugs.

Micki

{{gwi:452760}}

{{gwi:452762}}

{{gwi:452764}}

{{gwi:452766}}

{{gwi:452769}}

{{gwi:452771}}

{{gwi:452774}}

{{gwi:452777}}

{{gwi:452781}}

{{gwi:448431}}

{{gwi:452785}}

{{gwi:452786}}

{{gwi:452788}}

{{gwi:452789}}

{{gwi:452790}}

{{gwi:452791}}

{{gwi:452792}}

Comments (3)

• northforker
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think the picutures will be very helpful to someone who wants to samples - I know I alway did when I was trying to figure all this out..

I'd calm down a bit on the hole drilling - milk jugs need only the spout hole on top and you shouldn't need more then a few wellspaced holes in the BOTTOMS of jugs or containers. I think a lot of side holes will shorten the life of the container eventually cause they will make it structurally weaker.

I recognize the walmart lasanga trays! I've used some for 4 seasons, so I think they are a good investment. The clear tops have cracked a bit, some repairs made with tape.

• micki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you Nan,
    other than wearing down the structures is there any other draw back to the many holes? (Other than time, of course?) Has anyone ever compared the difference? I'm not being rude, just think that proper drainage is very important. Now it might make the contaierns dry out too fast; if that is the case please let me know,
    Thanks to anyone who wants to comment. Truly I am not at all defensive on my ideas since I've never done this better.

Nan or anyone, when in the Spring do your container strart to dry out? Such as middle of May. When do you have to start watering your containers? Have you ever had one water logged?

I looked up your zone, it is zone 7 right? I think Long Island could be considered both 6 and 7 right?

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Too many or too large holes can result in mix drying out quicker. This is why most don't use strawberry clear plastic containers. For milk jugs I started putting holes about an inch up the side on each side as found it helped both with drainage and with soaking up water from a pan when I watered. I wouldn't worry about structural damage from the jugs as mine become brittle and break apart after 2-3 years regardless of the number of holes. Picking the jug up and finding myself with just the handle was a bit of a surprise.

For the lasagna pans, which are flimsy to start, lots of holes might weaken them. Can't say as I don't use them.

When to start watering jugs depends on the weather. We had lots of rain last spring so I didn't have to water until late spring. When it is a dry spring I may have to water early and often. One way to tell if a container needs water is to lift it. A dry container will be very light compared to a moist container. Also, a moist container will have condensation on the sides.

Yes, I have had one water logged because I FORGOT to put drainage holes in during preparation. A few poked holes in the sides took care of the problem.

Sponsored