Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie: Holes, holes, holes!

Posted by agathafroo 5B (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 0:22

First time wintersowing. Been studying everyone's containers carefully, have a couple questions:

I've got several cheapo 9x13 aluminum cake pans with clear lids. My plan is to sow creeping thyme, aubrieta rock cress, wintergreen, Irish moss, forget-me-nots in these. So I cut drainage holes in the bottom of the pans, seems straightforward.

But the lid ventilation, I'm not so sure about. Here's a photo of a lid. I outlined each hole in marker so it's easier to see. Are these big enough?

Also, in general for a container this shape is it better to have more, smaller holes?

Thanks much for help!

Spider

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie: Holes, holes, holes!

Also, checked out the winter sowers group on Facebook today and my mind was quite blown to learn that in the case of yogurt cups at least, the drainage slits can be placed an inch from the bottom allowing for a reservoir of water and soil. If I do this, is there any rule of thumb on how much soil needs to be above the reservoir?

Thanks again!
Spider.

o

The deeper the soil, the more room for roots and less chance of the soil drying out. 4 inches deep is my general goal. Your holes should be fine. More, smaller holes would also work.

Martha

o

Last year was the last time I will use shallow containers. Even without drainage holes in the lids, they just dry out too fast. For me, gallon milk jugs are by far the best for winter sowing.

With milk jugs, I only have to water at all once everything is up and growing and using up the moisture.

o

Thanks, I like the idea of 4" soil in milk jugs.

Anybody putting a "reservoir" in those?

o

Hi Agatha, in the lasagne pans, I would cut more holes and make them a little smaller (you can always make them bigger if necessary). This is because the rain and melting snow will drain into your mix and seeds in a more evenly distributed fashion. (You don't want a deluge to flow in, it will cause the soil and seeds to shift.)

I've tried many types of containers but haven't ever used a reservoir. It hasn't been necessary for winter-sown perennials (trees, shrubs, etc) which I usually put out next to the shrubbery on the East side of house. They usually get plenty of precip., have 3-4 inches potting mix, only get partial sun in the morning, and don't dry out that quickly.

In the spring I put the annuals, veggies, and heat lovers along the south side of the house, along the foundation, where it's warmer, they get more sun and dry out faster. So I line up the cups and containers in plastic boxes or trays and water from the bottom as well as on top. Bottom watering is much easier too!

Here's what the annuals look like:

o

Thanks Terrene! Makes sense to have more, smaller lid holes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here