Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngardening24

dec 21st winter sowing date

Has anyone heard/read that according to the farmer's almanac, dec 21st and dec 22nd are bad days for planting seeds? Should I disregard that fact and sow anyway? I'm very curious about other's views and opinions on this.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    9 years ago

Why does the almanac say they're bad days for planting?

• ladyrose65
    9 years ago

I would like to know too. If it is 48 degrees + then no I won't WS. But I will put a jug or two of a perennial such 'Hollyhocks' or 'Columbines' which take a while to get started. Celebrate the day.

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

I wasn't aware of this!! I will have to look at mine :) tho I am very impatient!

I won't start and didn't start on the 21st last year because of warm days. I think I started on the 23rd last year when it got cold and we had snow!

I am sure it probably has something to do more with traditions and such so I wouldn't pay much attention unless it is too warm that day for WS!!
    ~michael :)
    heavenlyfarm

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They go by the increasing moon and things like that. I'm not familiar with it and since people have started winter sowing on december 21st for many years there should not be a problem. I'm also getting a little impatient and wish I could start right now but it's way too warm.

The farmer's almanac website says good planting dates are Jan 04th, Jan 05th, Jan 11th through Jan 15th.

• PVick
    9 years ago

In years gone by, the Winter Solstice was used as a sort of celebratory date to begin wsing. Folks sowed three or four type of seeds to designate particular categories (one of which was "Leap of Faith", darned if I can remember the others).

You don't have to start on the 21st, and if you do, you definitely don't have to sow all your seeds. Remember - winter will have a long way to go!

PV

editing to post info re: Winter Solstice Celebration, found in the FAQs - FAQs - Winter Solstice

This post was edited by pvick on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 16:59

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

PV,

Omg, I almost forgot about that....okay I did completely! I did not really do that last year so much but I really wanna try to do that this year!!

I think remembrance, will be lettuce seeds...I know it sounds lame but my great grandmother had a beautiful veggie garden from what i heard which was her specialty. I put in raised beds for veggies next year also so I can't wait!!
    Life, I think will be beauty berry seeds and maybe milkweed if I get more seeds.
    Mother nature(trees), I think I will try my own saved white magnolia because it also had a main branch knocked down in the little snow we got(i was upset to say the least) and red twig dogwood for winter interest!!! and just to try for fun, lol I haven't tried a whole lot of tree or shrub seeds!
    and for Faith, even tho it says something a zone above the one you are in, I will be doing seeds my mom saved from years past when she used to garden. She did not mark the seeds really so its a guessing and wait game to see if they sprout and what they are but I still have Faith in them :):)

Anywhos, wondering if anyone else will be doing those?(I hope I remember too! Lol)

~michael

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so back to the original plan to start sowing on dec 21st. :-)

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

"The farmer's almanac website says good planting dates are Jan 04th, Jan 05th, Jan 11th through Jan 15th. "

I like reading this because I don't start until after I get all the Christmas decorations put away. That's usually about the 4th or 5th. But I don't think the seeds care as long as they have the conditions they need, which is so easy to do with WSing.

• bukasmom
    9 years ago

I started last year on the 21st of December just for the relaxation of it.I had great success,and will do the same this year as well.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone