Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shortening the Chill Requirement

Posted by larry7b GA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 28, 10 at 1:44

I want to try American Beakgrain or beak grass, Diarrhena americana, from seeds but have read the seeds have a 30 to 60 day chill requirement. Any suggestions on shortening this chill requirement so that I can sow indoors and have seedlings ready by April 2011? This is a shade tolerant native grass that makes a good groundcover in zones 4 to 8.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shortening the Chill Requirement

Sow the seeds into a flat, water, and place in the fridge for two months. Take out and place in a sunny window for germination. However, I don't know how long (days or weeks) after thawing they will sprout.

That's not how we winter sow. We sow the seeds into covered and vented flats, then place them outside to sleep through winter, then they wake up and sprout in their own right time--creating climate-tolerant and very hardy seedlings.

You can check out our FAQ and learn more, the posts in the forum are loaded with experience and advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: WS FAQs

o

You might try asking your question in the Woodlands forum. I ran across an old comment from 2005 of someone who wrote how easy it was to grow this beautiful grass from seed and how it was surprising it wasn't mentioned more often. Maybe you'll get lucky and find her to can ask how she sowed her seed.

o

Being a native plant enthusiast, and never having heard of 'Beak Grass', I had to go look it up! There is not a lot of info out there and apparently it is fairly rare. The references I looked at don't even mention whether it's a cool or warm season grass (flowering time in late summer so maybe warm season??). It has interesting seedheads and turkeys eat the seeds. Neat.

You could try soaking or scarifying the seed first, and this might reduce the length of cold stratification required. Then in your climate, I would think you could stratify outside with WSing. After that, bring them in and try to germinate under lights for April.

Since there isn't much propagation info out there, you could also experiment and try a germination test right now, and see if you would get any sprouting without cold stratification. The warm season native grasses that I've grown from seed haven't required a cold period.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here