Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Seeds Are On The Way! (Plus Updates) :)

moonwolf_gw
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

Boy, what a year it has been for me, but now that special time we all look forward to is just around the corner. I did not have any seeds to trade this year, so mom ordered some flower seeds for me from Swallowtail. Here's what I chose:

"Blue Globe" Globe Thistle
"Luna Red" Hibiscus (unsure when to WS these)
"Soulmate" and "Milkmaid" Milkweeds
"Pretty Betsy" Jupiter's Beard
"Tokajer" Gaillardia
"Sightseeing Mix" Veronica

Life has been very busy this year besides the garden. Fell over the side of the neighbor's deck while arranging their flower pots so they could get some rain. I only sustained a brush burn on the right side of my ribs, and a sore left arm, but I am okay. Had to have a tick removed for the first time ever and I NEVER want to go through that again. Oddly enough, my best friend just recently got diagnosed with Lyme Disease, and I hope he'll be okay considering he is like family to me. I was luckier with my tick bite experience. I forget when he got bit, though. Anyways, enough of my rambling. I hope you're all doing well and Happy Sowing!!!! :-)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (10)

• heavenlyfarm
    10 years ago

Hi Brad!
    Well at least you are okay and its nothing serious!! Those are some good seeds too! I love hibiscus and milkweed and I just recently saw different varieties of Gaillardia so now I'm on the hunt ;) and hey, if you are interested in a few things on my seed list let me know and I can probably send you some more seeds for wintersowing!!
    This is gonna be my first year and I'm nervous about making it work and when to start...When do you normally start? (lol considering we are in the same state)
    ~michael :)

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Michael,

I usually start on the Solstice (which is tomorrow!), but I do not have any containers on hand at the moment, so I will . I just got another offer for seeds today. I remember how nervous I was the first time I WS'ed. Now, I encourage all who garden to try WS. Good luck!

I shall look over your list and see if there's anything that strikes my fancy.

Gaillardia/Blanket Flowers are wonderful to have in the garden. Then again, I love anything that attracts the butterflies lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One note to add is that the fall I experienced happened back at the end of August. The tick experience was just last month.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• heavenlyfarm
    10 years ago

I also wanted to start today but its pretty warm here :/ high of 65 tomorrow so I think I'm gonna wait till Tuesday when the temps are suppose to go down and stay around 20-30 something. Omg, I have been saving tons of different containers from coworkers and family to use!! I have lots of new seeds to try( and more coming) thanks to a few swaps and a few round robins I'm participating in!! Also a noob to round robins so I'm trying with what seeds I do have this year! It's been a bad year so I'm hoping for good experiences this year!(and lots of flowers!)
    ~Michael

• heavenlyfarm
    10 years ago

hey quick question!! I went back, way back in threads from years past and some people were using coffee filters in their wintersowing containers to keep soil from seeping out, does it really help that much? do you think it would help with transplanting too cuz I'd like to try a container or too of these pink peony poppies I got!!
    ~michael

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have never used the coffee filters for my WS containers, so I can't answer your question. Sorry about that. The weather here today was warmer, but also rainy.

I just got my seeds from Swallowtail today. I can't wait to plant them!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• heavenlyfarm
    10 years ago

lol its okay! Have you ordered from there before? It looks like alot of neat seeds to try, might have to make an order myself! :)
    ~michael

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I have ordered from them before and I am never disappointed. Another good source is Renee's Garden.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• jbraun_gw
    10 years ago

I'm new to gardenweb and I just found this forum. Please excuse my ignorance, does WS stand for winter sown or winter solstice? I'm also new to winter sewing seeds. Any suggestions?

• heavenlyfarm
    10 years ago

winter sowing :)

~michael

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz