Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WS Miniature Roses? Can It Be Done?

Posted by moonwolf Z6 Central PA (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 1:55

Hi everyone,

I have seen Rosa chinensis (Angel Wings) seeds for sale and it makes me wonder how well they would do for WS? I love roses and I thought seeing them grow from seeds would be interesting (well, the species roses, anyway, as I have read in my one rose book that hybrid roses grown from seed are a gamble).

This may be OT but has anyone in Zone 6 known of the Lady Banks Rose (either white or yellow, but I prefer the yellow) surviving our winters? I would just love to plant one out at the theatre.

"Just remember in the winter,
Far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed,
That with the sun's love,
In the spring, becomes the rose."

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WS Miniature Roses? Can It Be Done?

Brad,

This info is from Botanical Interests online catalog

Rose Angel Wings HEIRLOOM Seeds
Rosa chinensis
Item #1224
Perennial to USDA zone 4. These charming little roses may take a while to sprout, but when they do ��" WOW! You may watch them every day to see how they have grown. Plants begin to flower at just a few inches tall. They may already be in bloom in their containers before you transplant them outdoors! Single and double flowers in shades of pink and white are no-fuss and easy to grow. A beautiful choice for containers on a sunny patio, porch, or balcony. Reliably hardy to USDA zone 4 in garden beds and borders.

I have never purchased seeds directly from them, but have purchased a few of their seed packets locally in a garden shop and was very satisfied with them.

Lady Banks rose is hardy to zone 6A, I believe. you should check over on the rose forum. I'm sure someone has some info to provide you on her.

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa chinensis (Angel Wings) seeds

o
RE: WS Miniature Roses? Can It Be Done?

Thank you, Fran! I will be trying these from seeds for sure!

I will double check over on the Rose forum to see about Lady Banks. I know she's hardy in at least Zone 7, but I have read on a few sites that she is hardy in Zone 6, but I shall ask for certain.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here