Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyplants

Container Count / Zone Wars 2011-2012 !! Offical Count (1)

NancyPlants
12 years ago

Its nearly time to start the official Winter Sowing Container Count (affectionatly known as Zone Wars).

The count will run from Dec 22, 2011 - May 1, 2012

To participate you simply post on this thread the number of containers you have wintersown. You can post daily, weekly, etc.

Each time please include your total count so far. example:

'I sowed 5 more today for a total of 25 containers'.

** Please make sure your zone is listed correctly on your member page so we can place you on the correct 'team'.

You are welcome to use any guide you wish to determine your zone, as well as your own experience.

If you need help finding your zone, this may help:

"zone help"

If you're on the border of 2 zones (such as 7b/8a) you need to decide which team to join. You can post 'Zone 7, I sowed 5 more today for a total of 25 containers'. Or it may be easier to revise your profile and put 7b for example from now until after May 1. Then revise your profile after May 1 and put it back to 7b/8a.

How To Count Containers:

Each container, no matter the size, counts as one. However, if you feel your container is worth more than one, just use your judgment. Say, for example, you have one flat bin full of twenty cups with four different seeds. You can count it as 1, 4, or 20. The same for a lasagna pan you may plant several different types of seed in. Whatever you feel is right. We wont be peeking over your garden gate to count your containers ;)

Chatting, support, suggestions and friendly rivalry is encouraged.

terrene and I will do our best to keep track of the count/war. Thanks to river for all her guidance :)

Everyone that is winter sowing is encouraged to participate.

Every container counts so join the fun :)

~*~Happy Sowing~*~

Comments (151)

• barbe_wa
    12 years ago

I finally got started this week - too much holiday before! Please add 22 for Zone 8. Thanks, Barb

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

Zone 8 - 8 containers.

• snapdragon36
    12 years ago

I finally got a chance to play in the dirt.please add 24 for zone 5 total 24.

• ldsluder
    12 years ago

As I watch the posts for Zone 6, and see their number going up, up, up - I could not resist. The weather is not perfect here for winter sowing, but I am hanging on to the faith towel. Yesterday I went ahead and did 21 more containers!
    Total: 132 (Zone 7)

• terrene
    12 years ago

~Winter Sowing Container Count / Zone Wars~

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 4 . . . . . . . . . . 78
    Zone 5 . . . . . . . . . 341
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . . 436
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . . 374
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . . 62

Total Containers: 1,291

Good morning winter sowers - boy, you guys have had a busy weekend. Zone 6 has surged ahead and taken back the lead from zone 7! Welcome new counters - beatrice_outdoors, snapdragon36, Vicki_sew-n-sow, onedaylily, barbe_wa, and harborrose.

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. {{gwi:345304}}{{gwi:453457}}

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

24containers for Z5 pixie_lou
    109 containers total

Does this make me an "official" winter sower? I just planted some seeds I collected this summer. I labeled them "Yellow Flowers From Maine. The Pretty Ones." I have no idea what they are. (But I'm guessing there were some not so pretty yellow flowers growing in the same garden!)

• terrene
    12 years ago

20 containers for zone 5 for a total of 20.

First containers of the year. Realized the other day watching everybody else post their containers, that I had some seeds that need 30+ days of cold stratification and I better get them sowed!

• terrene
    12 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . . 385
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . . 62

Total Containers: 1,335

Good morning winter sowers. Slow morning, although zone 5 has nudged ahead of zone 7.

Pixie-lou, I think you are an official winter-sower and seed addict! Unfortunately, the prognosis for this condition is not very good. My sympathies! (PS when collecting seed of an unknown plant, taking a picture is super helpful for a future ID)

Click on the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. ~Happy Sowing Everybody~

• bookjunky4life
    12 years ago

Please add 11 more containers for Zone 5.
    Running total is 61.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

20 for Z5 pixie_lou
    129 containers total

• cogardener2675
    12 years ago

Gotta help Zone 5 !!!
    45 today -- 45 total

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

Pixie-welcome to the "What is that seed/plant?" club! I have containers labeled with the address where they came from-I don't even know what the parent flower LOOKS LIKE! On a few of my envelopes I hand drew a picture of what the plant looked like at the time I took the seeds and made a note of the height, or noted "long slender pod, fine seeds". I also have "small pink flowers on green/white leaves".

For three years I have been calling one flower calendula, because a neighbor said that is what it looks like. A few months ago in an off hand search I came across a picture of it and the foliage. Darn if I don't have a slew of false sunflowers! Helianthis helianthoides.

Beatrice

• NancyPlants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pixie_lou, I have a simular bag of seed in my stash. I think its labeled "pretty yellow flowers that hung over NE neighbors fence". I dont know these people and felt a bit funny collecting them but they were on my side of the fence ;) I never planted them and just enjoyed the neighbors flowers. Well, last year a new family moved in and cut out and killed anything and everything in the backyard. This year I hope to plant them. Maybe I'll place them by the NE fence ;)

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

zone 8, PNW, 10 containers

• elliesfun
    12 years ago

I have a total of 135 gallon milk containers planted for zone 5 - farmergirl2009

Ellie

• terrene
    12 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . . 461
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . . 64

Total Containers: 1,413

Good morning winter sowers. Zone 5 has suddenly surged ahead to take the lead! Welcome to the count COgardener! Harborrose, did you add 10 containers or is it 10 containers total? Just making sure.

Click on the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. Dear counters: please check the spreadsheet from time to time to make sure your total is accurate. {{gwi:345304}}{{gwi:453458}}

• terrene
    12 years ago

REVISED Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . . 576

Total Containers: 1,528

(Sorry, the spreadsheet didn't register farmergirl's containers first time I entered them)

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Zone 7 72 containers planted today. 72 total

• aklinda
    12 years ago

zone 7 216 containers for a total of 216

• micki
    12 years ago

10 more for zone 6 for a total of 175

Wow, zone 5 and 7 are really roling,
    I just cleaned and prepped nearly 200 containers,
    let's not fret zone 6
    keep them coming
    Micki

• TraceyOKC
    12 years ago

Add 8 more for zone 7. My total is 114.

• bookjunky4life
    12 years ago

Please add 14 for zone 5. Running total is 75. I'm going to need a lot more jugs. Hitting up three different city recycle bins on Saturday.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . . 590
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . . 446
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . . 670

Total Containers: 1,848

Good morning winter sowers. Zone 7 welcomes new counters melvalena and aklinda, with some big numbers that have given zone 7 the lead! What a close race so far; zones 5-6-7 are jockeying for position day by day!

Click on the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. ~Happy Sowing Everybody~

"Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully."...2 Corinthians 9:6

• prvrbs31gal
    12 years ago

7 more in zone 8 for a total of 24 for me.

My broccoli and cabbage that I planted last week are sprouting already!

• snapdragon36
    12 years ago

12 more for zone 5 total 36.

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

9 for me today, a total of 9 so far. Go zone 5!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Wow, I see things are off to a flying start this year! I don't usually begin till the end of January or so, but I do love to check in every day and see where things stand. Thanks so much to Nancy and Terrene for keeping count this year!

:)
    Dee

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

I'd like to put in a friendly reminder/warning to all of our wonderfully enthusiastic newbies. When spring rolls around, and all the containers you had so much fun sowing with cute little seeds are now full of PLANTS, you have to find a place for them, and actually dig a hole and transplant them into it. Now is the fun part. Spring is when the real work begins. Consider pacing yourselves. I just want to be able to say "I told you so!"

Martha

• ricjo22
    12 years ago

OK i'm started. Last week I filled 24 half gallon milk jugs with more to come. Go zone 5. It almost looks too neat with all the same containers. Hopefully no one will suggest that I am starting a garbage dump this year Ric

Here is a link that might be useful: ricjo22's exchange list

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

37 containers for Z5 pixie_lou
    166 containers total

• terrene
    12 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . . 672
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . . 670
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . . 71

Total Containers: 1,937

Good morning winter sowers. Zone 5 and 7 are neck and neck! Welcome new counters, fixerupperinnh and ricjo22. Ricjo22, I included your containers, and assume that you have sowed as well as filled 24, although your post doesn't specify?

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail.

{{gwi:153891}}

• ldsluder
    12 years ago

I've done 40 more containers for Zone 7!!
    Total: 172

• ricjo22
    12 years ago

Yup containers are filled and outside and added 2 more last nite but had to dig away our first snow to do it. Hoping to see ice flowers on my isodon excicis finally.If I do I guess I'll have to learn to post a pic. Ric

Here is a link that might be useful: ricjo22's exchange list

• ricjo22
    12 years ago

filled and planted sorry Ric

• lianeny
    12 years ago

17 containers sowed today in z8
    17 total containers (more to come!)

• terrene
    12 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . . 672
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . . 710
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . . 88

Total Containers: 1,994

Good morning winter sowers. Zone 7 nudges ahead! Who's going to push us over 2000? Congrats on your first containers of the season, lianeny.

Click on the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. {{gwi:345304}}{{gwi:453462}}

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

27 containers for Z5 pixie_lou
    193 containers total

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Three more containers for Zone 5. Total now 36. I also put some begonia and coleus seeds under lights in my basement. Unfortunately that doesn't count toward our count, but it will contribute to my shade garden if they germinate and survive. Wish me luck.

Martha (Docmom)

• barbe_wa
    12 years ago

Please add 4 for Zone 8. My total is 26. Thanks.

• jim49631
    12 years ago

I have 22 more for zone 5 my total is 72 so far.
    I'm trying to take it slow this year. Last year
    I was planting in August.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I have a total of 62 containers for zone 6.

• ricjo22
    12 years ago

10 more containers by Ric for zone 5 including witch hazel and Japanese pagoda tree woo! hoo!

• rbrady
    12 years ago

9 more containers for zone 5-a total of 32 so far.

• bookjunky4life
    12 years ago

Please add 25 more for Zone 5. My running total is 100. And I only have 82 more jugs.

• gwen49
    12 years ago

This sounds like a blast,and great motivation to get things done!
    i have several jugs backed up waiting for hubby to bring home the soil to get started!
    I always get spring feaver so bad I can't sleep for thinking about it, now at least with WS I can garden in January!
    Just occured to me, I may ask the grandkids school for the little cardboard cartons from the lunchroom!!!
    GO ZONE 6

• terrene
    12 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . . 758
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . . 458
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . . 710
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . . 92

Total Containers: 2,096

Good morning winter sowers. We've broken 2,000 containers! And zone 5 has taken the lead!

Please note: this thread will soon reach the maximum number of replies, and I will be starting a new thread sometime today.

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. ~Happy Sowing Everybody~

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Two more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 25.

Gwen, this is really fun to do! I have gotten Spring Fever really bad too! LOL It's even more fun when you can get friends and family helping too! Have fun!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Mindyw3
    12 years ago

I'm in zone 5. I have 2 containers so far!

• terrene
    12 years ago

New thread started!! Please post to the new thread!

• ricjo22
    12 years ago

4 more for zone 5 I have lost count of my own total already. The whole family is gathering milk jugs for me

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks