Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

OT Which seed do I really want to grow?

I'm considering growing zinnias again this year. I haven't grown them for at least two years and I seem to remember having powdery mildew on the leaves and not enjoying them because of that. Benary Giant is supposed to be resistant to powdery mildew, can anyone share their experiences with growing zinnia, particularly the Benary Giant strain?

I pulled out all my Cosmos two years ago. I used to LOVE my cosmos...lol. It was in a bed that gradually was changing over to more shrubs. I'm going to grow it in another bed. I want the Picotee and a white. There are about 5 white strains and I'm not sure which to get. Psyche White, Sensation White, Sonata White, Purity and the double 'Snow Puff'. I want one that is 3-4ft tall, and doesn't flop, if that's possible. The double seems the most likely to flop. I think the Sonata is a dwarf. Can someone suggest which might be the best to grow?

Favorite alyssums? Are some more fragrant then others? More neat?

I was thinking of trying a Hollyhock again, but I had bad rust the last time, anyone know of a strain that doesn't get it, or a technique for how to grow it without the rust?

Lavatera 'Silver Cup' ... is that the plant that resembles a Hollyhock in miniature, with very small flowers?

Has anyone tried to grow? ....

Browalia

Canary Bird Vine

Cup and Saucer Vine

Thanks!

Comments (53)

• jodie74
    13 years ago

I grew the White Wedding zinnia & harvested LOTS of seed but..... This was my FIRST seed ever I harvested. I believe it is viable but I haven't tested it to be sure!

I'd be happy to give some seed out to whoever would like to try it. It does have chaffe but I'll send LOTS!

I need to look up how to quickly test seed viabilty ~ other than planting it! ;)

Jodie

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

I am reading yes and no as far as wintersowing sweet peas, I have done some already, we shall see what happens.

I would be happen to send you what I have for cosmos, no need to send me seed in exchange.

The sweet peas I planted this year really late, I think it was May.It was the highly fragrant heirloom, white with a little lavender. They came up, and were green for months. Just when I was ready to give up on them and yank 'em out, the first bloom emerged, then about five others. Didn't think to save seed. The scent would just waft inside the house, and in places outside far away from where they were at. We had a hot summer this year, so I was surprised they did anything, being everything I read said they don't like the heat. I'm now hooked on them. So worth the wait. But I think my problem was I didn't sow them early when the ground could be worked liked they should have. There was a post on here about winter sowing them with no soil on top of them.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jodie, thanks for that offer on the zinnia seeds, I'll send you an email. I don't mind chaffe at all. I am going to have a list of seed that I can trade by the end of the day. I have a lot of a few things and would be very happy to send you something you can use.

And happy to try your cosmos seed, gardenunusual and I really would love to email you a list of seed I have and see if I can't tempt you with something. :-)

I love the sound of those sweet peas, gardenunusual. I see FEDCO has a few fragrant varieties they offer and I'm going to add some of those to my order.

I've been reading seed catalogs and I think I'm going to get in trouble...lol. Now I'm getting the bug to grow giant sunflowers. I just thought of a place I could try them. I see Renee Seeds has one called Sunzilla that gets 17 feet tall with a 2ft diameter seedhead. Going to have to try that this year.

Thanks... :-)
    Ann

• terrene
    13 years ago

PM2, I grow the tall varieties of Zinnia elegans every year, because they are unsurpassed for attracting butterflies. The hummers and bumblers love them too. Also they are pretty and great for cutting!

The varieties I have grown include Cut & Come again, California Giants, State Fair Mix, the species, and some unnamed tall red ones from a trade. All were beautiful! I focus on the varieties that have a lot of single and semi-double flowers, because they have a large cone with nectar tubes that are easily accessible to the butterflies. I believe the benary giants are mostly doubles and while pretty, the nectar tubes are more difficult for the butterflies to access.

One tip about growing Zinnias that I read on this website years ago is that if you grow them in a new spot each year, this will reduce the incidence of powdery mildew. The only year I got terrible mildew on them just happened to be the year they were grown in the same spot as the previous year! Coincidence? Not sure.

I don't WS these, I direct sow large swaths and it works very well. A pic from this year's Zinnias-
    {{gwi:349891}}

• terrene
    13 years ago

Hi again PM2, re: the Lavatera trimestris. I have WS'n Lavatera 'Pink Beauty' from Diane's seeds the last couple years. Very very pretty and also very easy to collect seed. They are quite hardy, and the foliage tolerates temps well down into the 20's F, while the tender annuals have long been zapped.

Since this also called "annual mallow", it resembles a small Hibiscus flower. One drawback - the deer love them! Those beasts occasionally come through the back gardens and nibble here and there, which I don't really mind because they do a little pruning for me. The lavatera was the only plant they ate down to a few inches! They did recover, but bloomed later than otherwise.

Don't imagine deer are a big problem in your yard though?

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

PM2 - I harvested all the seeds from my double pink HH this year--want some? I have enough to send you a trade's worth and still have plenty to WS myself. They're yours if you're interested. I've posted a few pictures you've probably seen on the forum but I'll be happy to email you a photo.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

terrene, pretty photo! Good shot of that butterfly too. I like the zinnia tall varieties. I guess that's why I like the Benary, because they are doubles. I'll have to do some of both then. Some for them and some for me. I've always liked the Profusion too, which I think is what Karen was suggesting. That's a good tip about moving the zinnias every year.

I've only seen ONE hummer in 30 years and he didn't stick around. I'm hoping to put out feeders next year and make the effort. I love bumblebees and I'm hoping to build some sort of bee house for native bees one of these years.

That 'Pink Beauty' Lavatera is one I was looking at too. Very pretty in the photo, happy to know you liked it. I'm going to add that to my order. No, no deer here. Counting my blessings. :-)

gardenweed....Double pink Hollyhocks? Sure! Would love some. I'll send you an email gardenweed.

You ladies are quite the enablers....lol.

Ann

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I was sitting on the porch about 2 years ago, and this hummer got right in my face. It shocked me to the point I couldn't move, but if I hadn't been froze and if I had wanted I could of reached out my hand and petted this hummer. No Lie!!

My first humming bird to ever see was 5 years ago, maybe 6. Now I see them all of the time. They buzz around my garden then go elsewhere. My neighbors have fantastic gardens and plenty of feeders. So this winter I am planting for these humming birds, they are neat to watch, and so odd how close they get to you and they are not scared.

Anywho, so many plants that humming birds love, monarda, lobelia, moon flower, some cone flowers, and so many others if I am not mistaken I have seen them go after my gailardia. The blue finches are another wonderful bird, I finally have attracted about 2 blue finches, but the yellow are very rare.

Oh and I have noticed that the perennial sweet peas have no smell. :(

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carolyn, you are so lucky! No one in our neighborhood gardens. So they really have to look to find my postage stamp of a garden. I was given a hummingbird feeder last year, but I filled it three times with no shows and then gave up. I may have put it out too late. I'm going to try it again next year.

We get purple finches sometimes and golden finches but not sure what a blue finch looks like.

I think it is just certain antique varieties of annual sweet peas that have fragrance, right?

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Well to be precise about what exactly a blue finches color is, I am not sure. I have always called them blue finches. For all I know the technical description could be purple. They are pretty regardless!!

I am not sure on the sweet peas either, I know the perennials are not fragrant. Which I know one of the botanical names for the fragrant sweet peas is Lathyrus odoratus. The perennial is lathyrus latifolius.

I tell ya some of the most fragrant plants I have come across is any type of phlox. Wow, the fragrance is wonderful!! My alyssum was fragrant but I needed a huge clump before I could ever smell it. Phlox there are so many types. Ya got creeping phlox, which blooms in the spring. Phlox divartica, which blooms a little later that gets about 1.5 feet tall. Then you got phlox paniculata which blooms in the summer to fall which is about 4' tall. There are several more phlox but I have only had the pleasure of dealing with these 3 phlox. Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful aroma that fills the area!! Oh and the phlox divartica is evergreen here!! I have been letting that thing reseed for the last 3 years, this spring I plan on saving some of the seed. If you want some you let me know.

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

prairiemoon- that sunzilla has this new variety I discovered last night beat. This one is more for the seeds than the flower.

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/12544/291

I tried growing Mammoth sunflowers this year, they were the first to come up. However, I was the last to put up the fence around them and the deer had a lovely snack on the flower buds. Never did get to see them flower. This year, I have already winter sown some lemon queen, velvet queen, and strawberry blonde. I figured with the seeds being so hard it can't hurt them any to sow so early, we'll see.

I just heard about FEDCO this year, they are a reliable seed source.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carolyn, you may be right about the blue/purple finches. I always thought the purple finches look red anyway. [g]

In the FEDCO catalog, the fragrant sweet peas are reported to be Lathyrus odoratus, so you are right. I found it interesting and thought you might too, their explanation of why some are fragrant and some aren't. From the FEDCO catalog....

"....Native to Sicily, first domesticated around 1699 when amateur botanist and monk Father Francis Cupani shipped seed for the variety that bears his name to a hothouse grower in England. Painted Lady, a rose- and white-tinted pink, was named in 1737. In the late 1800s extensive breeding work, especially by Henry Eckford, expanded the range of available colors. Around 1900 Silas Cole, gardener to Earl and Countess Spencer, found a sport with much larger ruffled flowers but less scent than Eckford's varieties. It created a sensation when it was exhibited in 1901. From this variation derive all modern strains including Spencer, Cuthbertson.

Knee-Hi and Mammoth sweet peas were once wildly popular. At 40 cents per lb in 1895, Vick's sold ten tons of mixed sweet pea seed; Maule offered the "80 best varieties" in 1904; Park's 1934 flower book advised that "the Sweet Pea has all the good qualities of a perfect annual for general cultivation." As interest in fragrance revived, Bodger Seeds Ltd. obtained as many of the pre-Spencer varieties as possible and created Old Spice Mix in the 1970s. With gardeners again demanding fragrance in individual colors, Bodger has begun to offer the old strains individually and we are continuing to try them. Six major chemical components, none unique to sweet peas, and a dozen less significant ones, give sweet peas their fragrance. "

I agree that Phlox are really nicely fragrant too. I have Phlox subulata and divaricata but I don't notice much of a fragrance with those. Definitely the paniculata. My garden is on the dry side and my divaricata barely spreads at all, so maybe that difference effects the fragrance too.

gardenunusual, thanks for that link to Territorial Seed. It doesn't seem to be easy to find a really giant sunflower. FEDCO has the usual Gray Mammoth. I also found this helpful information at Renee Seeds about trying to grow them to a good size. See the link below.

Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow Giant Sunflowers

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Ohhhh the divartica or however u spell it hee hee I didn't look it up that is my botanical spelling off the top of my head, lol. That phlox fills the area in early spring, oh my and it spreads wonderful but not invassive. Unlike other phlox or phlox paniculata (another spelling off the top of my head) it likes shade and a woodland setting. Do not quote me on this but I believe there is only 2 phlox types that actually prefer shade or woodland settings. That might be why yours doesn't spread. How wonderful that little plant is!! I have my divartica in morning sun then afternoon shade. There is no sun in that bed after I want to say 10:00 am.

The aroma of just that divartica plant overwhelms my hyancith's!! That is how awesome of a fragrance I get!!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carolyn, that is so odd to me because really I don't get any fragrance from Phlox divaricata, which I bought as a plant from NEWFS. Mine grows in morning sun and afternoon shade too. I have an idea though....there is a Phlox...stolonifera, which is also a woodland creeping phlox that grows in part shade, that is fragrant. Maybe that is the one you have? See link below...

If so, then I have to get me some of that! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Phlox stolonifera

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Well do not tell anyone this ok this is between me and you. I got mine off the side of a road in a ditch gully type. Shhhhh don't tell anyone!! So maybe you are right though mine is purple color. Around these parts the old timers call it sweet william. No I said the same thing sweet william is dianthus. They argue with me!!

I tried to hunt down a picture that I thought I took awhile back but there is not even one on my phone. Tomorrow when the sun is out I will take a picture of the foliage.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Ya know I had to do a few searches and ya know lol I am really confused now. I know this plant is some type of phlox cause it has 5 petals. It is a perennial for sure and it is evergreen. I have always called it phlox divartica. It gets to be about 1.5' tall. I see it everywhere around here in any kind of woodland area or stream banks. So that is how I planted it. LOL this is a new mystery for me!! Well point being I will figure out which phlox this is, cause believe me it smells WONDERFUL!!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carolyn, try this 'Sherwood Purple' link. Also try the Bluestone catalog, I think they have a couple of varieties... you will figure it out and I'm going to order some plants in the spring. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Phlox stolonifera 'Sherwood Purple'

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

See I am confused now for real. Look at this website it deals with natives. It says the divaricata has a fragrance. I think this is the website and a few others I used to find out which phlox it was that I had. If nothing else come spring when it is in bloom I will take pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild blue phlox

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I grow hollyhocks at the back of one of my borders which helps hide some of the bad foliage. Someone posted awhile back about sprinkling corn meal on the soil to prevent rust. I will try that this year.

Malva 'Zebrina' is like miniature hollyhocks. I grow a pink and a white malva that are shorter and covered with hollyhock type bloom. Laverta Silver Cup is very nice but bushy. Mine ws well but the deer ate them to a nub. May try that one again this spring.

Alyssum 'Carpet of Snow' is the white one most often sold here and is very fragrant. I bought a pack of 'Tiny Tim' which is supposed to be more compact but didn't sow it as had enough from self sown seeds of 'Carpet of Snow'.

I used to grow 'Browalia' before I started wsowing. Browalia 'Jingle Bells' is on my 2011 ws list.

Cosmos usually self sows for me but last year I had only a couple of volunteers so will ws several varieties, including 'Double Click'. Last year I ws and planted cosmos 'Ladybird Scarlet' which is short but bloomed orange, not red. Pretty, but not what I wanted.

Tall zinnias are a wonderful cut flower for bouquets for my neighbor kids. The ones I planted last year had pm. I will try 'Cut and Come Again' mix this year. Also love the Profusion zinnias which have become a front of the border staple for me.

I also had late blooming sweet peas two years ago. They bloomed midsummer to frost and were very fragrant. Last year the squirrels kept digging the sprouts out of my pots of compact 'Sugar 'n' Spice. None survived. I'm going to try the technique of not covering the seeds and grow them in a covered area until they are larger to thwart the squirrels.

My ws list for 2010-2011 is heavy on annuals.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Carolyn, are you talking about Hesperis Matronalis 'Dame's Rocket' which many people refer to a wild phlox?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dame's Rocket

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

No this plant has 5 petals. I am wondering if prairiemoon might have a cultivar of the divaricata. Cause from all of the information I have read about all other types of phlox the wild blue phlox fits it to a T. Oh well I will take some pictures of the foliage cause it is still just as healthy looking as can be right now even after our hard deep freezes we have had. Then come spring I will take some more pictures. I seriously believe it is the original native phlox divaricata. Knowing me though I also earlier in the year thought my alyssum was irebis, LOL.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a photo of my plant. It is a cultivar called Phlox divaricata 'Blue Moon' bought at the NEWFS. This patch has been in place for 3 years and is almost the same size as when I planted it. I do mulch, so I don't know if that could be the reason it hasn't spread? Maybe I don't notice the fragrance because it is such a small patch? The Tiarella in front has hardly spread too. My garden is on the dry side, due to many maple roots. It is also planted right near a patch of Viola odorata which is all I can smell in that corner when it is in bloom. I don't remember if they are in bloom at the same time.

{{gwi:453493}}

From the book on New England Wildflowers by William Cullina....

Phlox divaricata -- wild blue phlox -- 12-14 inches, part sun/shade, woodlands, violet or lavender blue. They will usually begin to self sow and create great drifts. It blooms a week or two earlier than stolonifera. So plant both for longer bloom.

Phlox stolonifera -- sun to shade, moist mountain woods, violet blue to lavender or white. Creeping phlox, a ground covering evergreen, woodlander, forms a 1-2 inch mat in moist acid soils. Flower spikes 8 inches above. 6-10 inches tall.

" The phloxes are a favored tribe, though their size and habit are quite varied, they always seem in scale with the enchanting fragrant 5 petal blooms that are the hallmark of the genus. "

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mnwsgal, that's a good idea to grow something in front of the Hollyhocks to hide the foliage. I've heard about the corn meal for any of the powdery mildews, didn't know it would help with rust too. They talk about it on the Rose forum. I am going to have to try that.

That's the plant I always confuse the Lavatera with.... Malva. Which of the two have the larger blooms?

Yes, the standard white Alyssums are usually fragrant. I haven't tried many of the colors though. Swallowtail Seeds seems to offer quite a few.

I have bought Browalia in flats, but haven't tried growing it from seed. It's great for the shade.

I will have to figure out something if I try growing sweet peas. I do get pesky squirrels that get into things sometimes.

Thanks mnwsgal... :-)

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

I love creeping phlox. Just wish it would last longer in bloom.

Planted some tall phlox, pink, which looks a little purple this year, and some 'david' which I expect to grow tall 2011. The flowers just lasted forever, seemed like the entire summer. Their scent is wonderful, but I don't find it lingers as much as the sweet pea. The smell of a sweet pea just takes me to another place.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

It is raining here, more less just sprinkling consistently but oh well. I took you a photo of just my foliage. What I do after it sets seed I cut it back to about 3 to 4 inches high. Then it grows and puts out new growth. Though the main growth doesn't come till the next spring. It gets to be about 1.5 feet tall.

The reason we may have so many differences is because yours is a hybrid. I truly believe I have the actual native species that is pure and true to type.

Anywho here is the photo taken just a few minutes ago. The one limb in the front happens sometimes I am not sure if I don't cut that back or what. In the spring it doesn't flop so this is a bad picture to conclude from what it looks like in the spring. Our blooms do look alike though!!

{{gwi:453494}}

• terrene
    13 years ago

Nice pic PM2. I like your woodland plants. They probably do have a hard time competing with the maple roots. You've got some Virginia Bluebells! I just winter-sowed 7 containers of those (1 LTR bottles).

I WS'd Phlox divaricata in 2008, and the foliage looks very similar to your picture above, Carolyn. Mine hasn't bloomed yet, so I don't know if it's fragrant or not. If you dug it from the side of the road, it sounds like it's the wild species and mine would be too, because the seeds were from Prairie Moon nursery. 'Blue Moon' is a cultivar, that supposedly has been selected for superior traits (fragrance perhaps not being one of them), and is propagated vegetatively.

PM2, I love Alyssum 'Carpet of Snow', has a lovely fragrance and makes a great edger. Would like to grow an Alyssum with some color to mix with it. I tried Pastel Carpet and it was okay.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Terrene, is your divaricata also evergreen?? Mine is a little mad at me right now. I transplanted it a while back when I was cleaning out this bed and chunking and plunking. I had 2 big clumps of it well I decided to do this bed in an entirely different direction. So I put my clumps together, then after I transplanted it I decided to send someone a clump of it as a surprise so of course I split a good section of one of the plants.

It is mad at me but in the spring I am sure it will get over it and put on a beautiful display!!

• terrene
    13 years ago

Well it's buried under snow right now, so I'm not sure but I think P. divaricata is evergreen, probably a little more green in your milder climate. I transplanted my 2 little clumps this fall too, but they will probably be okay and I'm expecting it will finally bloom a little this coming Spring.

Oh look, my zone has come back but it has a weird %20 in the middle of it! LOL

• Marie of Roumania
    13 years ago

PM2, I'm growing a Siberian hollyhock called Alcea rugosa (or sometimes 'taurica'). It's sunshine-y yellow, the leaves are kinda hairy, and it's a medium-tall plant. It gets a touch of rust but not as bad as the more common Alcea rosea or ficifolia. So far, so good. Happy New Year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Alcea rugosa images from Google

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carolyn, thanks for the photo. I think my foliage is a little different but I couldn't find a better photo of it. Mine is under a foot and a half of snow, like terrene. [g]

I think you are right, the cultivar might make a lot of difference to fragrance. I'm just going to have to get some of the native. I wouldn't have been in a hurry to do it if you hadn't told me how fragrant it is, so thanks.

terrene, I've had that same Virginia Bluebell for three years too. I must mulch too heavily. I hate to weed. I am surprised you saw that little tiny corner of it. lol

I have the catalog from Prairie Moon and that's what I need to do is get more native seed and winter sow it. Did you hear that NEWFS is no longer selling seed? Very disappointing.

Exactly what I want to do is get some strong colors to mix with the white alyssum.

That's a pretty Hollyhock, marie. A nice shade of yellow. Thanks for the link.

How many months do we have to wait for spring? *sigh*

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Well I will be saving the seed of mine this spring. It usually is about ready in the early summer. If you would like I would be more than happy to put you some to the side.

Oh and on another post where someone posted a hollyhock with the same rust problem someone had said cornmeal works to prevent it. I have never tried it but it seems harmless enough to try.

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

Cornmeal will be used in my garden this year.

• Linda G (zone 5b)
    13 years ago

Hey terrene,

I am thinking of doing the zinnia patch this year and do prefer the look of the singles as well. Where do you get your seeds from?

Thanks
    Linda

• terrene
    13 years ago

Hi Linda, the Zinnias in that picture are a combination of Zinnia elegans seeds from Everwilde, and some unknown "Tall red zinnias" that I got in a trade. Came out very nice but mostly pastel color, pinks, oranges, white. Still the butterflies LOVED them. I've got lots of the Everwilde seeds if you want to do a SASBE.

The Cut & Come Again and State Fair were purchased originally on seed racks, and I'm going to be on the lookout for more while out making the rounds, because these varieties have more of the hot colors.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi ladies, I still want to do Zinnias this year and I haven't decided on what to get yet. I keep reading that the Benary Giants are the only Tall one that is disease resistant. I am thinking about doing the Benary Giants and the Cut and Come again for the butterflies. I was thinking Ferry Moore has a pretty good price on their seed. Terrene, is there any difference between the State Fair and the Cut and Come Again, and how tall are they? I'm hoping to get just a couple of single colors, rather than a mix of colors. They offer individual colors in the Benary Giant series.

• mwilk42
    13 years ago

I grow cut and come again, and we are in a humid area. I have not had trouble with them. They grow waist high and reseed a lot. planted them once, and they come back every year. gold finches and butterflies love them

• weebay
    13 years ago

I grew the giant Dahlia Zinnia from Crossman seed. I was extremely happy with it. They have single colors to choose from, and mine didn't get mildew until Sept. which was the longest I've ever had them go in my area which is super hot and humid.
    They grew about 5 feet, they are dahlia flowered, not single. The butterflies and hummingbirds loved them. And Crossman's is super cheap, I think the seed packs were .89 cents.
    I think I'll be buying some more this year.

• terrene
    13 years ago

Hi PM2, the Benary Giants sound like they'll work well with the single colors, and they'll attract butterflies too. As for the mildew resistance, I've only gotten mildew 1 out of 5 straight years of growing the tall Zinnias, so it's not a chronic problem like Monarda. This year the foliage was very clean.

If you want a grow a mix of colors, both Cut & Come Again and State Fair are similar and have nice bright colors, and they grow between 2-4 feet tall. From what I recall, the C&CA has a few more double flowers, and a tidy habit.

Cut & Come Again, grew these in 2006.
    {{gwi:453495}}

I grew these this year, Zinnia elegans seeds from Everwilde and "Tall Red Zinnias" (from a trade). There are 2 Monarchs in this picture!
    {{gwi:390804}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, last summer was so dry, I wonder if that is the kind of summer they do better in as far as mildew goes. That's great that they reseed for you, justsaymo. I've never had them reseed here.

Weebay, I took a look at that Crossman site, great price. I like the look of that Dahlia variety and nice individual colors, thanks.

Great photos, Terrene. I see the two Monarchs on single flowers. Thanks, a visual always helps!

I hope I am going to have time to plant all the seeds I want to do this year. It is so easy to get carried away and then when everything sprouts, wow, with the planting out. Last year I barely sowed a seed or bought a new plant, so it was an easy year, but maybe my enthusiasm this year, is because of that. lol

• ohiovalleygardener
    13 years ago

What seeds do I really want to grow this year?...............All of them. Can't decide. This is so much fun.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL, good answer, ohiovalleygardener! I think you definitely have the winter sowing spirit. :-)

• Linda G (zone 5b)
    13 years ago

Thanks terrene - the price at everwilde is excellent!

Linda

• terrene
    13 years ago

I was in the local Ace Hardware this past week, buying sand and assorted things, and they had their seed display out. Bought 2 packets each of 'Cut & Come Again' and 'State Fair' Zinnias, for $1.29 each! Livingston seeds, they have a great price, with a little clear window on the front of the seeds, showing the quantity - which is pretty generous, much more than the quantity I've seen sold on the Internet.

I've got lots of the Everwilde 'Zinnia elegans' seeds leftover too (they have big quantities) so this year I think I'm going to grow at least one patch and mix them all together.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for that tip terrene. I'll check out Ace!

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Prairiemoon, I had to pull up this post cause my phlox is in full bloom right now. We had a huge storm come through right before this picture but here it is.

{{gwi:453497}}

In front of the phlox are a few hyacinths. I haven't cut them back yet cause a few of them are going to seed. You know I hand pollinated every single one of my plants and every single bloom and out of maybe 50 blooms I have 5 that are turning to seed. Sorry that was totally off topic but I am a rambler, lol.

• bettyd_z7_va
    12 years ago

WOW!!!

Those are some BEAUTIFUL Phlox!

I would LOVE to grow those. I will be checking the catalogs for seed to WS this winter.

Thanks for posting this last picture,

Betty

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carolyn, thanks for that photo, how pretty! Mine has not even started looking like it's thinking about blooming yet. (g) I'm sad to say I never did buy the seed for phlox and it's just as well because I've been unable to sow as many seeds as I wanted to. Next year! Beautiful phlox!

• terrene
    12 years ago

Nice pic CC. That is Phlox divaricata, woodland phlox. I think mine is going to bloom this year for the first time! It's 3 years old so it is fairly slow from seed. Can't wait!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Oh no, another plant to add to my wish list. Thanks for the beautiful picture, Carolyn.

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Thanks all!! I will be trying my best to save some seeds this year and winter sowers will be first. We have had some horrible storms so I do not know if that will prevent pollination or what, I guess I will have to wait and see. Something told me the other day to pull out the paint brush, but NO I didn't listen. Grr!!

Terrene I so hope yours blooms this year, the fragrance is great!! Almost like someone sprayed some cologne, LOL!!

Bev if I am not mistaken I think it might of been you that I sent a clump to. I know I sent someone a clump of this phlox, my plumbago and my shasta daisy silver princess with the canna tubers. Was that you?? LOL I tell you what life is so hectic around here that 6 months ago to me seems like 5 years ago!! lol

Sponsored