Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Everybody got their clothes on?

Posted by donn_ (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 20, 10 at 6:44

I figured there was going to be a big celebration here tonight. The first time in 372 years a Total Lunar Eclipse has happened during the Winter Solstice.

P A R T Y !! Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Everybody got their clothes on?

o

Hey, donn! Are you wintersowing? We haven't seen your garden pictures lately.

Karen

o

Hi Donn:
I just wanted to wish you Happy Holidays. It's been awhile, my old WS friend!

o

arghhhh! They are saying we probably won't see the eclipse here.....raining. Really, really raining right now.

Toga! Toga!....may in reality be towel! towel! for those of us in the PNW

o

quit your grinnin and drop your linen,theres seeds to be a sowin

o

Makes you wonder what magic the lunar eclipse will have on seeds from hybrids sown tonight.

o

Ewwwww I was just reading and there is also going to be a meteor shower (which that happens every year) and they say that since there is going to be a lunar eclipse we may be able to see it pretty good. Usually there is a full moon and the moon distracts from the shower. So this year is even more special. I am extra giddy now!!

o

Unfortunately, even if I could stay awake long enough to watch it, our forecast for tonight calls for cloudy skies and snow. Go figure.

Karen

o

Cloudy skies and snow flurries here in Western MA.

o

cloudy here too. bummer

o

Snowing really hard here right now, bummer.I was so looking forward to the eclipse.I may not live another 300 + years to see the next one.
cAROL

o

It's just starting to snow here now, changing to freezing rain thru the night. Cloudy, no moon visible.

Driving will be fun tomorrow, too.

Karen

o

Well bummer...it's cloudy with light snow here too. For those with clear skies, sounds like an interesting sky tonight!

o

I'm going to check it out! It's COLD!!!!

o

There is a HUGE halo around the moon. Just incredible. If the halo was a hulahoop and the moon a shooter-marble, you could imagine the enormous size of the halo.

o

Trudi,
I'm so jealous! I set my alarm so I could get up to watch with my 13 year-old daughter. Clouds. We can't even tell what part of the sky the moon might be in. Well, back to bed. Maybe I'll get some wintersowing in later today. My mom is driving over to spend a day or two with my kids while they're on holiday break and I'm still working. I'll plant some stuff for her to take home for her garden. I I love this time of year! And I promised myself I'd set a personal record. I've been doing this for about 7 years and I think I'll need to do 400+. Yeah!

Martha

o

Martha, I took a picture of the halo ;-)

400? I get overwhelmed by 80, sigh. I haven't done a 'big sow' in a few years. Hmmm. Tempting. I do need part shade perennials.

o

Snow had stopped but clouds remained. Bummer.

o

I fell asleep in my recliner at about 1AM. Missed the whole durned show.

o

I saw the beginning -- didn't stay up for the rest. Oh well apparently the wait is about 90 years for the next time.

At -18C I was dressed. :)

o
Missed it?

For those who missed it.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2010 Solstice Lunar Eclipse

o

I wasn't dressed, well, I wasn't dressed adequately. Flannel jammie bottoms and a thin sleep-top. However, as it was so late and no one was looking (closely) I did get nekkid in the shower while the moon shone through the bathroom window.

o

It was hard to see the eclipse here in Atlanta...through my eyelids.
Thankfully technology allows me to catch up with our night sky, neighbors of ours gathered to watch with telescopes and filmed for us who decided to sleep through it!
No WS for me today. I'm waiting for the next set of seeds to come my way from Canada.
Two other fave seed companies have not published catalogs yet (nor are taking orders for 2011...they need to wake up and smell the winter sowing ;)

o

I went to bed. Looked too cloudy to see anything anyway. We got an inch or two of fresh snow overnight. Really looks like winter. And it has stayed cloudy, dreary, foggy, drizzly all day.

Have been running around all day- 2 groceries, 2 bakeries. My son arrives tomorrow and I was stocking up on all of his favorites.

I do have seeds orders on the way from Stokes and Swallowtail.

Karen

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 22, 10 at 0:41

I couldn't even find the moon last night! But the sky turned an eerie navy blue color ........

PV

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here