Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cabbage seed

Posted by tomerrol z7atn (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 24, 11 at 9:04

I was wondering if anyone has ever WS cabbage seed, if so how long to germinate? In my area, last spring I set out transplants that I bought last of feb, 1st week in march. my question is, if I ws now would thay be ready for transplanting by march ?
thanks
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cabbage seed

In 2010 I wintersowed stonehead cabbage (last year I wasn't able to garden at all). I sowed the seed on Feb 16th, they germinated on Mar 1st and I transplanted to the garden the week of Apr 18th thru the 27th. It wintersows beautifully! I wintersowed brussels sprouts and broccoli at about the same time. My zone is somewhere between 7 and 8.

o

thank you barbe, I went and sowed the cabbage today. I also sowed broccoli too. wish me luck!
Tom

o

Woohoo and good for you Tom!! Be sure to let us know how it goes and what your results are so others can learn from your experience. Sharing is what it's all about!! I don't do veggies but I keep track of my sowing date, germination date & percentage for look-back purposes. I'm getting better at keeping track all in one place too.

o

I just tried some Early Flat Dutch and Henderson's Charleston Wakefield today, along with Calabrese and DiCicco Broccoli. Probably too early here (7a/8b) but I only did one container of each so I don't have much to lose.

o

First time doing WS. Hoping to hear from someone who's had success sowing cabbage in January? Should I wait 'til Feb? Same guidelines for all brassicas? I also want to start grow collards, kohlrabi, kale, green & red cabbage. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here