Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

o
Zone Wars

Posted by gardenunusual 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 23, 10 at 9:59

Hello all,

Reading about mention of this phenomenon, but can't seem to find if there is one place on this site that shows past ones. Would like to read what has been done, and how to participate.

Thank you muchly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone Wars

Your in the zone that normally wins, lol!! Bump up your zone and come help me win!! Just teasing, totally in good humor here!!

o

I haven't seen a posting on this years zone wars. Am I missing it?

WHOHOO!! I'm zone 5 too! LOL Sorry carolyn.... :(

Off topic- I do LOVE your sprinkle cheese container in your pic!! TOO CUTE!!!

o
RE: Zone Wars and container

That container was toughhhh to cut, so I am sure I will have that many years to come. That thing was about perfect for my needs, lol!!

I heard someone talking about january they start tallying, I could also be totally off base here. Though it will be fun to watch at least me and gardenweed share the same zone. Ha Ha now you know why I am wanting her to pull her 500 containers out again, LOL. Not like it will help cause there is A LOT of zone 5 peeps around this forum.

o

Lol, countrycarolyn - for the longest time this year I thought I was zone 4b, I did another search, and found I am 5a!

After this summer we had, I wouldn't be surprised if it kicks up a notch. And the mild winter so far too has me thinking...

o

• Posted by manda3 8a DFW Texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 23, 10 at 15:57

I volunteer to keep tally if you more experienced folks aren't interested. I have been DYING to play with google spreadsheets. I would like to see an old version if any are lying around. Help me set it up.

I love spreadsheets. Setting up those formulas and designing borders. You can call me weird. I know I am. :P

o

Well I walk around with 6-7 that is how precise I am. I actually border the zones. One year I am in 6 the next year I am in 7. Some books say I am in 6 even though a few years back my zone got changed to zone 7. So I just say phewy with it and say I am 6-7, lol. Though I have to admit the majority of all sites that give out zone information says I am actually 6b. I plant as if I am in either, and when it says it is hardy to zone 7 I plant it. If it says the heat zone is to zone 6 I plant it. LOL hey and it works that is all I know.

By the way my zone keeps disappearing!! I don't feel like adding it each and every time, though since it relevant to this post I have been adding it.

o

manda3 - I found the thread from last December discussing who was going to keep the tally for the Zone Wars. Hope it helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Count 2009-2010

o

Also, here is a link to the first thread from last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Count 2009

o

Sat, Dec 25, 10 at 2:46

Lol. Way more simple than what I had in mind.

o

I think so too. Has anyone grown anything that typically doesn't make it wintersowing in their zone?

o

I am always the "out of the box" type of gal. Hee Hee that gets me in trouble when I share my "out of the box" ideas, lol.

Instead of saying I grow something that doesn't make it via winter sowing I tend to say I am always looking for something that fits my fancy. I read on the seed, I take my seed growing knowledge and apply when winter sowing. I use a lot of common sense also. Trudi gives great tips when picking out seed. Well when you read a seed profile you will find that there are a lot of seeds that can be grown by this method. Granted not all should be started december 21st. Though a lot can.

Gardening is trial and error, just because one thing didn't work for jane doesn't mean it will not work for tom and vise versa.

My advice do not be scared to try something new. Use your common sense and experience from the past to guide you. That is how winter sowing was brought on to begin with.

Simply an idea and major common sense and it worked!!

o
RE: by the way

Who is going to do the zone wars???

From that first thread they already started tallying!!

Uh oh are we behind!! Also is linda going to be in zone 6 again with her 560 containers??

Hee heee!!

o

I clicked on the link above on the zone wars & I am surprised that ALL size containers count the same. Did I understand that right? Milk jugs count the same as small cups & even a large lasagna pan counts the same?.?.?.?

Just making sure I am understanding correctly.....

o

I'm in. I even have my containers sorted by day, as I will begin counting the 21st of December on. I wish zone wars included success rates. Oops, thinking out loud.

o

I think you got it jodie!! If not then I would seriously be in trouble cause all of my containers are smaller. Though I do plan to sow in 1 milk jug just to keep with the tradition!! I got it prepped and waiting!!

o

When I look up the zone for my zipcode. Some sites say
7b, others say 8. I guess I would go with 7.

o

roper2008 - same here. First time I looked up my zone it was 6a, next time I looked it up they'd changed it to 5b. My son's nose is out of joint because he's about 16 miles south of me and he's Z5b. Where I am in north central CT, 6b cuts up the middle of the state along the Connecticut River Valley to the Massachusetts line. Which ever zone is the right one, the other one is visible outside my window!

o

gardenweed, the same kind of thing happens here. I just met someone that pretty much anything will grow in her area, including tropicals that no one else can.

o

Well it's snowing, so it must be zone 7 today. We had some
snow last year too. Only thing is, it never last very long.
Tomorrow will be 41, so will probably will start melting. We
get all excited when it snows here.

o

Well it's snowing, so it must be zone 7 today. We had some
snow last year too. Only thing is, it never last very long.
Tomorrow will be 41, so will probably will start melting. We
get all excited when it snows here.

o

It wasn't supposed to start here until midday but it was already coming down when I left to go fill the gas tank & pick up milk, bread, chicken, etc. It's really cold too--only around 20 degrees which unfortunately is the perfect temperature for LOTS of snow to fall.

o

Here it's about 15.

By the way, my official zone wars count of containers sown 12-21 or later is...

o

I'm off to a GREAT start! 78 containers done since Dec 21! I hope to get 36 (smaller containers of daylilies) done today!

Then spend the eve watching movies with my kids & finishing packing seeds for a seed swap!

HAPPY SOWING EVERYONE!
Jodie

o

LOL, my count is still at 15. I guess that is what I will do today. I am glad I am going in this without a real desire to compete!!

I just have to see if it will keep my zone if I put 2 letters!!

o
RE: nope

Well a number and a letter, but nope it didn't work!!

o

Let me know when the count is set up. So far I have 12 for z5b.

o

3 for zone 8. FWIW.

Wait till I get the rest of the 45+ jugs and 80+ individual nightshades out there. ;)

o

5 for zone 6a.

o

will this be the posting site for the zone war from now on?
cAROL

o

bump

o

It seems as Manda is the only one that shows any interest in taking count.

Manda, I would say go for it girl!! From last years post we are already behind!!

o

Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 20:56

Alrighty then. I will. :)

Let's see....

zone 5 = 132
05 prairiemoon
12 floodthelast
37 gardenunusual
78 jodie74

zone 6 = 15
15 countrycarolyn

zone 8 = 17
14 Manda3
03 silver cat

Zone Wars

Please post here with your zone and TOTAL count. I'll keep it simple and won't play with the spreadsheets. :P Also, correct me if I make a mistake. All this scrolling up and down, can't be sure I'm perfect. :)

To choose your hardiness zone, please find out your average annual minimum temperature. Not the record, just the average. So if you are on the edge of something, just pick what you think is average for your own house.

4= -30 to -20 degrees Fahrenheit
5= -20 to -10
6= -10 to 0
7= 0 to 10
8= 10 to 20
9= 20 to 30
etcetera

My zone is 8a because usually one day out of the winter, it will get to 12 degrees Fahrenheit. I have never seen it get lower than that, but the record is something like 0 degrees.

o

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,and sow it begines.

zone 5 - 33 - Just1morehosta

o

Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 22:53

Zone Wars

Zone 5 = 185
05 prairiemoon
12 floodthelast
37 gardenunusual
78 jodie74
53 Just1morehosta :)

Zone 6 = 15
15 countrycarolyn

Zone 8 = 17
14 Manda3
03 silver cat

Rules
Please post here as many times as you like with your current TOTAL count.

This is counting winter sown containers, total containers no matter the size, from December 21st 2010 to present. Your zone is what you believe to be the average low temperature for your area.

4= -30 to -20 degrees Fahrenheit
5= -20 to -10
6= -10 to 0
7= 0 to 10
8= 10 to 20
9= 20 to 30

Feel free to chat away, here, too. I will start a new thread if this fills up. Make suggestions if you like. Happy sowing. :)

o
RE: Zone Warsa

Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 22:54

Oops. I see it's 33. Will correct next time. :)

o

Please add 12 for zone 5.

Manda, thank you for volunteering to keep count. A couple notes. The list will probably get so long that it may get cumbersome to list each posters containers individually. Also the instructions for posting containers are usually posted only at the beginning of the thread, not with each day's tally.

The container count thread will fill up, multiple times. By May 1st, you will probably end up starting 4 or 5 threads (maybe more?).

o

Thu, Dec 30, 10 at 1:13

I'll see if I can jiggy rig something up with html. Make it less annoying looking. Thanks for the suggestions. :) :) :)

o

7 for Zone 4

o
RE: Zone Warsaa

Thu, Dec 30, 10 at 1:54

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 0
Zone 5 = 177
05 prairiemoon2
12 floodthelast
37 gardenunusual
78 jodie74
33 just1morehosta
12 terrene
Zone 6 = 15
15 countrycarolyn
Zone 7 = 0
Zone 8 = 17
14 manda3
03 silver cat
Zone 9 = 0
Zone 10 = 0

o

46 Zone 7 Meadows (Dorothy M)

Manda that looks awesome! Thank you for taking on this job.

D

o

I've done 52 jugs so far for zone 6, and have more ready for this weekend.

o

What is an official container size? I have from cup to 2.5 gallon jug size.

Haven't done any since my last count. Ran out of soil AGAIN. I have now used Miracle Grow potting soil and Pro-mix. I think I like the pro-mix better. And, the Fafard's vermiculite as a light topping is making my indoor pepper seeds sprout almost immediately!

o

Manda, cool format!! I think you will be able to fit in each individual poster with that format.

Gardenunusual, as far as I know, whether it's a cup, or a 2.5 gallon plastic jug, it counts as 1 container. Even if there is a big difference between filling 500 cups vs. 500 milk jugs.

Sometimes I will divide up a salad box, or 2.5 gallon jug, into more than one type of seed, by using a cardboard divider. In that case, I counted 2 containers (2 types of seed).

o

I have 32 containers for zone 6. More to come later!

o

Hi, can I add 47 for zone 5? Thanks! Shirley

o

Hee Hee zone 6 is catching up to 5!!! Whoooo hoooo!!

Where is gardenweed??

Sorry I just had to share my excitement. :))

o
RE: Zone Wars well blah

LOL, seems as I spoke to soon!!

o

• Posted by tomva 7-central virginia (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 30, 10 at 12:21

9 for zone 7,Thankyou Manda3,very nice format..

o
RE: Zone Wars2

Add another 19 for me in z5. Thanks Manda3.

o

Thu, Dec 30, 10 at 13:43

Thank you thank you thank you. :) :) :)

Each container, no matter the size, counts as one. However, if you personally feel like one of your larger boxes counts as more, just use your judgment. For example, I'm thinking about cutting up an old tub for underbed storage (as in, the size of a friggin bed) and counting each flat I put inside as one. We're not drinking cokes fast enough around here. :P

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 7
07 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 177
19 floodthelast
37 gardenunusual
78 jodie74
33 just1morehosta
05 prairiemoon2
47 sjc48
12 terrene
Zone 6 = 99
15 countrycarolyn
52 hostarookie
32 terryj09
Zone 7 = 55
46 meadows
09 tomva
Zone 8 = 17
14 manda3
03 silver cat
Zone 9 = 0
Zone 10 = 0

Please post here with your current TOTAL count. Happy sowing!

o

Manda, thanks for doing this.
Please add 38 jugs for zone 5
Thanks again, Judi

o

I also have another 37 containers. For a total of 115!! YIPPEE!!

THANKS MANDA!!!

o

I don't see my numbers added up Manda3, I should be up to 31 now for z5. Thanks again for doing this. I enjoy seeing it every year.

o

Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 1:04

Sorry about that floody. Yes, I just need total counts on updates. I realize that's not the way it was done last year. :) :) :)

I have to resist the urge to post the table every time someone updates. Hehe. I finally finished another pepsi bottle, so plus one for me tomorrow. Ha. I still can't deside about my underbed storage bin. What if, some distant day in the future, I buy a bed that is actually tall enough to fit the stupid thing? My neighbors have already started raising eyebrows about my row of coke bottles.

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 7
07 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 318
031 floodthelast
037 gardenunusual
115 jodie74
038 judiohz5
033 just1morehosta
005 prairiemoon2
047 sjc48
012 terrene
Zone 6 = 99
15 countrycarolyn
52 hostarookie
32 terryj09
Zone 7 = 55
46 meadows
09 tomva
Zone 8 = 17
14 manda3
03 silver cat
Zone 9 = 0
Zone 10 = 0

o

Manda go for the underbed storage bin. If/when you need one you can use all the money you saved on flowers and vegetables to get yourself a brandy new one!

As far as the neighbors go - post a lovely laminated sign by your collection - simply saying GHETTO GREENHOUSE. I put one on my fence and it looks great!

o

meadows - it needs to say 'ghetto FABULOUS greenhouse '. Because it is :)))

o

I like the phrase priceless ingenuity!!

o

My first WS attempt is piddly but its a start.
Put me down for 5 lonely jugs! :-)

o

Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 13:25

Haha. I love that! I will post a sign.

o

Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 20:15

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 7
07 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 323
031 floodthelast
037 gardenunusual
115 jodie74
038 judiohz5
033 just1morehosta
005 kvenkat
005 prairiemoon2
047 sjc48
012 terrene
Zone 6 = 99
15 countrycarolyn
52 hostarookie
32 terryj09
Zone 7 = 55
46 meadows
09 tomva
Zone 8 = 17
14 manda3
03 silver cat
Zone 9 = 0
Zone 10 = 0

o

• Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 23:14

4 containers for zone 5. Thanks for keep track for us!

Rhonda

o

Ok, signing in. As of 5pm today I have 23 containers in Zone 8B. Wish those big milk jugs counted for more than 1 !

o
RE: Zone Wars--amended

Woops, woops! It's actually 28. You can count them in the picture I posted on my latest thread. Yup...28 for Zone 8. But I am going to collect containers from my mom tomorrow...so may be growing! Happy New YEar!

o

Sat, Jan 1, 11 at 22:40

5 more containers in zone 5-I am pacing myself:-)

Rhonda

o

Sat, Jan 1, 11 at 23:03

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 7
07 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 328
031 floodthelast
037 gardenunusual
115 jodie74
038 judiohz5
033 just1morehosta
005 kvenkat
005 prairiemoon2
005 rbrady
047 sjc48
012 terrene
Zone 6 = 99
15 countrycarolyn
52 hostarookie
32 terryj09
Zone 7 = 55
46 meadows
09 tomva
Zone 8 = 45
28 firsthouse_mp
14 manda3
03 silver cat

o

As of today, I have 19 containers so far (most are doubles, but all the better!). I did five of them today. I'll be planting all winter and spring so I'll keep coming back!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

1 for zone 8. That's not much but it has already sprouted, soggy, limp sprouts that I'm posting about elsewhere.

My handle is too long for your nice formatting. I would think river might work. Thanks for the great job that you are doing.

o
RE: Zone Wars333

Sat, Jan 1, 11 at 23:46

Ha. Don't worry about that. It stretches. :)

o

I did not know we were keeping count! Thanks Manda3!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 11 to add to zone5.

If I get my butt off the couch today should have more to add.

o

I've done 30 more, so my total is 82.

I just received 13 more jugs so I'm going to do them right now. :-) So my actual total will be 95 within the hour!

o

Sun, Jan 2, 11 at 15:57

I went and bought over 10 packets of seeds today at home depot. That makes it about 60 packets unsowed. And I'm still going to buy some more from two catalogs later. Hehe. Is there anything else I can do to prevent damp off? Should I spray the soil with neem oil early March? Anywho...

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 7
07 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 339
011 daisydawnny
031 floodthelast
037 gardenunusual
115 jodie74
038 judiohz5
033 just1morehosta
005 kvenkat
005 prairiemoon2
005 rbrady
047 sjc48
012 terrene
Zone 6 = 161
15 countrycarolyn
95 hostarookie
19 moonwolf
32 terryj09
Zone 7 = 55
46 meadows
09 tomva
Zone 8 = 46
28 firsthouse mp
14 manda3
01 river crossroads
03 silver cat

o

manda3 - I've not heard of anyone having a problem with damp-off in winter sown containers. Hopefully someone else in your zone will comment. When I used to start seeds indoors, I sprinkled ground cinnamon on the soil surface to inhibit damp off. It neutralizes the fungus but doesn't harm the sprouts or seedlings. For winter sowing, I sprinkle bird grit over top of my seeds before I close up the container. Don't know if it helps or not but it's the way I do it.

o

Zone 7
Meadows 74 today TOTAL 120

Thanks again to seedmoney for the wonderful newbie supply of gifted seeds!

o

My first 12 containers are out!
Thank you Manda3!

o

Sun, Jan 2, 11 at 23:00

I'm going to try that cinnamon! Never heard of that. What is bird grit? Sounds like tiny pebbles. Is that it?

o

Bird grit is like beach sand. Birds need grit in their crop in order to digest their food. I buy the grit at a pet/garden supply place.

o

Gardenweed, is the bird grit better than vermiculite, or about the same? I have some Fafard's vermiculite that I am having good luck with indoors. Wparsleyhen I run out, I might try something a little different!

Hoping to get some more wintersowing done today, it's been a weekend of rearranging the house!

o

Manda, does your area drop below freezing?? If so the cold will take care of the damp off. There is a thing in the faq's about how the cold kills the "bad" stuff in the soil. So as long as your temp drops below freezing at any part of the game your good to go and nothing else special is needed.

o

Mon, Jan 3, 11 at 9:19

It does, but rarely for more than an hour or so at a time. I just know most of my seeds were lost last spring to damp off. But that was direct sowing in spring.

I'm starting some seeds indoors right now. I microwaved the soil and now sprinkled on some cinnamon. One little sprout. :) *poke*

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 7
07 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 351
012 adamark
011 daisydawnny
031 floodthelast
037 gardenunusual
115 jodie74
038 judiohz5
033 just1morehosta
005 kvenkat
005 prairiemoon2
005 rbrady
047 sjc48
012 terrene
Zone 6 = 161
15 countrycarolyn
95 hostarookie
19 moonwolf
32 terryj09
Zone 7 = 129
120 meadows
09 tomva
Zone 8 = 46
28 firsthouse mp
14 manda3
01 river crossroads
03 silver cat

o

Why did you microwave the soil?? The heat will help produce the fungus.

Are you growing inside or outside??

My thought would be if your temperature drops at anytime below freezing long enough to freeze the container and its contents thoroughly then you are ok even if it rethaws.

o
RE: Zone Wars123

Mon, Jan 3, 11 at 9:49

I watered the soil, drained it, and then microwaved for two minutes. I've read that sterilizes the soil. The next day I put in a few herb seeds and stuck it in my kitchen window. I'm always trying to get these guys to grow and I always fail fail fail.

o

Well I just looked it up and they do suggest that for sterilizing soil. Ha I just learned something new.

I feel like you already know this but wsing is growing outside. Growing inside is much different.

o

Mon, Jan 3, 11 at 10:38

Oh yeah. I'm doing both. I had a gagillion alyssum sprouts damp off and none of my wildflower seeds came up last spring using the direct sow method. Nasturtiums and morning glories grew so quick they didn't have time to be vulnerable. Hehe. I've also never had a problem with zinnias and snap dragons but I haven't tried those at this house yet. I'm super eager this year to succeed in seed sowing. Especially with all the success stories on this ws method. I never have a problem getting sprouts. Its getting those sprouts to grow up.

o

My new total is 50 for z5.
Thanks, Judi

o

Total 7 for z8.

And I have SPROUTS!--- black hollyhock is up, solstice sown! xD

o

Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 11:22

6 more for a toatl 15 zone 7 TomVa

o

Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 11:30

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 7
7 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 363
~12 adamark
~11 daisydawnny
~31 floodthelast
~37 gardenunusual
115 jodie74
~50 judiohz5
~33 just1morehosta
~~5 kvenkat
~~5 prairiemoon2
~~5 rbrady
~47 sjc48
~12 terrene
Zone 6 = 161
15 countrycarolyn
95 hostarookie
19 moonwolf
32 terryj09
Zone 7 = 135
120 meadows
~15 tomva
Zone 8 = 50
28 firsthouse mp
14 manda3
~1 river crossroads
~7 silver cat

o

I sowed 20 more today, so I have a total of 35 since Dec 21st!!

Floodthelast, I am so thankful that you posted that little visual tutorial online, because I used a big ole lasagna pan today and it fit perfect in one of those comforter bags. Thank you girl!!

Tip for anyone else using a comforter bag if you plan to use a stick in it to hold it up. Don't cut a vent hole right in the middle of the bag, lol. Trial and error right!!

o

Zone 7 Meadows TOTAL 122

Spent some time today reading posts from last April and May to see what others did with all the seeds that germinated as a result of all the furious winter sowing! Best stop sowing soon and start saving energy for the Spring! HOS seems like the way to go.

o

Zone 6 suecirish Total 5

I was going to wait until I had done more, but Zone 6 is looking a little sparse, so I figured I had better start posting now.

o

My new total is 108. I need more jugs!! Maybe I'll contact Starbucks to see if they have some. :-)

o

Wed, Jan 5, 11 at 12:50

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 7
7 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 363
~12 adamark
~11 daisydawnny
~31 floodthelast
~37 gardenunusual
115 jodie74
~50 judiohz5
~33 just1morehosta
~~5 kvenkat
~~5 prairiemoon2
~~5 rbrady
~47 sjc48
~12 terrene
Zone 6 = 199
~35 countrycarolyn
108 hostarookie
~19 moonwolf
~~5 suecirish
~32 terryj09
Zone 7 = 137
122 meadows
~15 tomva
Zone 8 = 50
28 firsthouse mp
14 manda3
~1 river crossroads
~7 silver cat

o

Total 10 for zone 8.

o

Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 12:58

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 7
7 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 363
~12 adamark
~11 daisydawnny
~31 floodthelast
~37 gardenunusual
115 jodie74
~50 judiohz5
~33 just1morehosta
~~5 kvenkat
~~5 prairiemoon2
~~5 rbrady
~47 sjc48
~12 terrene
Zone 6 = 199
~35 countrycarolyn
108 hostarookie
~19 moonwolf
~~5 suecirish
~32 terryj09
Zone 7 = 137
122 meadows
~15 tomva
Zone 8 = 54
28 firsthouse mp
15 manda3
~1 river crossroads
10 silver cat

o

I'll add mine to the count. 44 for zone 5, and I'm all done, lol.

o

I sowed another 10 today, so my total count since December 21st is 45!! And more to come!!!

o

5 more for zone 5,
Thank you,cAROL

o

Another 9 for zone 5, for a total of 21
Thanks, adamark

o

Fri, Jan 7, 11 at 17:06

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 7
7 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 418
~21 adamark
~11 daisydawnny
~31 floodthelast
~37 gardenunusual
115 jodie74
~50 judiohz5
~38 just1morehosta
~~5 kvenkat
~~5 prairiemoon2
~44 pvmiscaccount
~~5 rbrady
~47 sjc48
~12 terrene
Zone 6 = 209
~45 countrycarolyn
108 hostarookie
~19 moonwolf
~~5 suecirish
~32 terryj09
Zone 7 = 137
122 meadows
~15 tomva
Zone 8 = 53
28 firsthouse mp
14 manda3
~1 river crossroads
10 silver cat

just1morehosta 38 z5

o

Oh my, a zone fiver out of the box. This is getting good.

o

Not that Zone 5 needs any help, but I've got 15 containers, with several more on the way!

Here is a link that might be useful: My 2011 wintersowing adventures

o

sowed 43 water jugs, and more to come!

Lois in PA (zone 6)

o

I've only done my Solstice Sowing so far, so my current total is 4.

Zone 5 pwns this game. ;-)

o

Oh just rub it in edie_h!!! LOL

o

I'm up to 117... I have more to do, but I'm too tired tonight! Tomorrow's another day. :-)

o

13 more for Zone 5 please :O)

o

Fri, Jan 7, 11 at 21:55

16 for zone 5, making a total of 21 so far for me:-)

Thanks! Rhonda

o

Added 14 more for Zone 8

o

Total 18 for zone 8. :)

o

Sat, Jan 8, 11 at 20:08

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 7
7 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 469
~21 adamark
~11 daisydawnny
~15 dirtgently
~04 edie h
~31 floodthelast
~37 gardenunusual
115 jodie74
~50 judiohz5
~38 just1morehosta
~~5 kvenkat
~~5 prairiemoon2
~44 pvmiscaccount
~21 rbrady
~47 sjc48
~12 terrene
~13 TheGirlNtheDirt
Zone 6 = 261
~45 countrycarolyn
117 hostarookie
~43 lois
~19 moonwolf
~~5 suecirish
~32 terryj09
Zone 7 = 137
122 meadows
~15 tomva
Zone 8 = 75
42 firsthouse mp
14 manda3
~1 river crossroads
18 silver cat

firsthouse mp 42

o

Add 73 for me Zone 6

o

Whoooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooo!!! We needed you ladyrose!!

o

Where are you Z 4 people?

o

TOTAL 13 zone 6 - added 8 more yesterday

o

Total for me is 46 zone 5 - added nine today :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersown pics as of 1/9/11

o

Zone 7 Meadows Total 164

... and praying daily for the strength and energy to plant them all in the spring!

o

Whewww, this is tiring... I hate to see how tiring it is in the spring when it's time to plant everything. I'm glad my hubby has more energy than me since he does most of my planting. :-)

126 for me

o

My kiddos have kept me super busy lately but I've mananged some "quiet time" with my dirt & seeds..... I've sown 146 total now! Can't wait for the "green wave" to roll in!!!!

Jodie

o

I finally got to play in the dirt yipeee. Total of 6 for zone 5. Thanks manda
Debbie

o

I am giving winter sowing a try this year, newbie in Zone 7, NC - I currently have 14 containers outside on my deck. Hoping for more, many more! Now to search the forum on container and labeling options. Looking forward to learning lots and having fun this season with some fellow wsowers! :) - Lisa, NC Zone 7

o

7 containers planted in Zone 7! It was so nice to get my hands in the soil again. Since this is my first year trying WSing I'm a little nervous. I'll be so excited and relieved to see the first green sprouts!
Sheri

o

Mon, Jan 10, 11 at 14:21

My brother says the neighbors keep asking about my containers. "What are those things again?" Ugh. Durn chain link fencing. They do look awesome under the snow, though. Shnow!

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 7
7 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 580
~21 adamark
~11 daisydawnny
~15 dirtgently
~04 edie h
~31 floodthelast
~46 gardenunusual
115 jodie74
146 judiohz5
~38 just1morehosta
~~5 kvenkat
~~5 prairiemoon2
~44 pvmiscaccount
~21 rbrady
~47 sjc48
~~6 snapdragon36
~12 terrene
~13 TheGirlNtheDirt
Zone 6 = 351
~45 countrycarolyn
126 hostarookie
~73 ladyrose65
~43 lois
~19 moonwolf
~13 suecirish
~32 terryj09
Zone 7 = 200
~14 ldsluder
164 meadows
~~7 rosa crazii
~15 tomva
Zone 8 = 75
42 firsthouse mp
14 manda3
~1 river crossroads
18 silver cat

o

Mon, Jan 10, 11 at 14:41

10 more total of 25 zone 7
glad to see some more zone 7ers welcome aboard
TomVa

o

Hi everyone ! I am new to the wintersowing forum but not new to GW ... I wintersowed in 2009 but not last year ... I missed it this past spring sooo... I just received some awesome seeds in the Secret Santa swap so I retrieved all the milk jugs and 2 liter bottles out of our recycle bin and got started ! I sowed 13 containers this afternoon so I'd like to add 13 to Zone 7 if I may ;-) and nice to meet all you, I've been enjoying reading the threads , very inspiring ! I need to hit up all my friends for their plastic containers ;-)

Iris

o

This if my tally until February. 129 for Zone 6.

o

Tue, Jan 11, 11 at 14:20

another 10 for total of 35

o

11 more for zone 5 please,
Thank you,cAROL

o

99 milk jugs thus far for me. Zone 8

o

Wed, Jan 12, 11 at 14:20

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 7
7 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 526
~21 adamark
~11 daisydawnny
~15 dirtgently
~~4 edie h
~31 floodthelast
~46 gardenunusual
146 jodie74
~50 judiohz5
~49 just1morehosta
~~5 kvenkat
~~5 prairiemoon2
~44 pvmiscaccount
~21 rbrady
~47 sjc48
~~6 snapdragon36
~12 terrene
~13 TheGirlNtheDirt
Zone 6 = 407
~45 countrycarolyn
126 hostarookie
129 ladyrose65
~43 lois
~19 moonwolf
~13 suecirish
~32 terryj09
Zone 7 = 233
~14 ldsluder
164 meadows
~13 rane grow
~~7 rosa crazii
~35 tomva
Zone 8 = 174
99 clc70
42 firsthouse mp
14 manda3
~1 river crossroads
18 silver cat

o

3 more for zone 5 please,making a total for me at this point,52
Thank you,Carol

o

18 for zone 6 please

o

38 jugs, so far, for zone 6 here.

Karen

o

42 more for zone 5 total 48.
Debbie

o

I did another container last night so please change my total to 8.

Thanks.

o

I finally sowed my first containers last night! I have 9 for Zone 5.

o

Newbie here with 6 containers for Zone 5.

o

total 32 zone 6

thank you

o

I now am up to 32 containers on deck :) - I have more ready for seed, some in the sink draining.. hoping to add a few more to Zone 7's total as time passes.

Go 'Meadows'!!! WOW - very, very impressive - keep 'em coming!!!! ~Lisa NC Z7b

o

Thu, Jan 13, 11 at 21:59

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 8
8 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 586
~21 adamark
~~9 amybeth82
~11 daisydawnny
~15 dirtgently
~~4 edie h
~31 floodthelast
~46 gardenunusual
146 jodie74
~50 judiohz5
~52 just1morehosta
~~5 kvenkat
~~5 prairiemoon2
~44 pvmiscaccount
~21 rbrady
~47 sjc48
~48 snapdragon36
~~6 tempusflits
~12 terrene
~13 TheGirlNtheDirt
Zone 6 = 495
~45 countrycarolyn
126 hostarookie
129 ladyrose65
~43 lois
~32 marie of roumania
~19 moonwolf
~13 suecirish
~38 tepelus
~32 terryj09
~18 ymaddox
Zone 7 = 251
~32 ldsluder
164 meadows
~13 rane grow
~~7 rosa crazii
~35 tomva
Zone 8 = 174
99 clc70
42 firsthouse mp
14 manda3
~1 river crossroads
18 silver cat

o

Hubby & 6 year old grandniece helped sow 152 containers last Saturday in our zone 7.

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 14, 11 at 16:22

Did 24 more jugs today, for a total of 71!! Shirley!

o

60 total zone 6 please
thank you!

o

My container total is now 39, for zone 6. Geez, now I'm starting to catch the fever. Gonna try to scrounge up some more containers this weekend!

o

Zone 7 Meadows - Total 203

Shall I sow the next batch for Zone 4?

Dorothy

o

I finally started today! 14 containers for zone 5 please. My first WSing and I too am so excited! Crossing my fingers that I've done it right after reading all the info here. :)
Thank you all!

o

70 more for me this week! I plan to get some more done over the weekend too! So fun to smell dirt when I walk into my kitchen. LOL

216 total so far.......

o

Sowed 14 more tonight, bringing my total to 23 for zone 5. Thanks!

o

Sat, Jan 15, 11 at 0:14

Next Thread

Zone Wars

Zone 4 = 8
8 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 708
~21 adamark
~23 amybeth82
~11 daisydawnny
~15 dirtgently
~~4 edie h
~31 floodthelast
~46 gardenunusual
216 jodie74
~50 judiohz5
~52 just1morehosta
~~5 kvenkat
~~5 prairiemoon2
~44 pvmiscaccount
~21 rbrady
~71 sjc48
~14 skywaitress
~48 snapdragon36
~~6 tempusflits
~12 terrene
~13 TheGirlNtheDirt
Zone 6 = 530
~45 countrycarolyn
126 hostarookie
129 ladyrose65
~43 lois
~60 marie of roumania
~19 moonwolf
~13 suecirish
~38 tepelus
~39 terryj09
~18 ymaddox
Zone 7 = 442
152 corrine1
~32 ldsluder
203 meadows
~13 rane grow
~~7 rosa crazii
~35 tomva
Zone 8 = 179
99 clc70
42 firsthouse mp
19 manda3
~1 river crossroads
18 silver cat

o

I don't know if I count, as I'm not in the US, but my total so far is 11 containers sown!

o

Mon, Jan 17, 11 at 15:18

Sure you do. Welcome to the war. :P (Also, catch updates on the next thread)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here