Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

o
2014 Zone Wars

Posted by DHofDocMom MI (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 10:18

The 2014 Winter Zone Wars officially begins today!! My wife (docmom) has recruited me to keep track of the plantings this year. Each time you post to update your winter sowing progress, please make sure your Zone and current total no. of containers are in your post. This is my first time, so if I miss your information please alert me. The friendly competition goes until May 1, 2014.
Good luck and happy planting.
Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Zone_Wars_2013-2014

This post was edited by DHofDocMom on Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 14:43

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2014 Zone Wars

Thanks for taking over Dan, and thanks to docmom for all the years of doing this. I can't believe I'm the first entry!
I put out the traditional 4 containers today for solstice.
My zone (New York City) varies on maps ... some say 6b some say 7a or b. Put em in either of those as you see fit.
Happy wintersowing everyone!

o

Four for me here in Zone 6. Grand total of four.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I won't be starting my sowing for a few weeks yet, but wanted to say thank you Dan! We all appreciate you doing this for us!

:)
Dee

o

Thanks Dan for hosting!

I sowed 7 containers on Saturday for zone 5. I couldn't wait for the solstice and since it was already cold here in early December I've been sowing containers for a while now. It's my first year winter sowing so they didn't have any special meaning, just some edibles.

Happy Winter Sowing Everyone!

o

Thank you and so excited to winter sow for the first time! Planted 3 containers so far for Zone 6 :) will be planting more later today or the tomorrow!
~michael

o

heavenlyfarm, where in zone 6 are you? It may be too early to WS depending where you are. Just asking.

o

dirtguy50,

I am in Walnutport, Pennsylvania. Our temp today is 28 degrees today ( snowed yay! white christmas!) and temps are suppose to remain in the low 30's and 20's now.
~Michael

o

I'm not allowed to start sowing until I finish my continuing education hours! which are due Dec. 31. I'm nearly done, but I'm taking a bit of a break for the business of the holidays. I will keep Dan on the job, though. Happy Sowing and Holidays to all.

Martha

o

Winter sown 8 more containers for a grand total of 11 so far! :)
~Michael

o

I sowed 9 more containers for zone 5, making a zone wars total of 16 for me thus far.

Happy holidays!

o

I got 5 containers so far for zone7!

o

I just kicked Dan in the butt (gently), so he should update the list soon.

Martha

o

I did three today in zone 5.

o

41 containers and one flat with 72 cells. Not sure how you count the flat. :) Zone 7.

Jackie

o

Hi Dan- I have 26 containers fro Zone 5.

o

Not sure how you want to record "strobe" Jackie's flat of 72 cells. So I listed it as 72 plants but with and asterisk (until I know differently). Happy planting!

o

Happy New Year everyone! 18 containers so far for me in zone 6.

o

Hi. Everyone! I am a veteran when t comes to gardening but a total newbie to winter sowing. First heard about it a few years ago but then the 2nd and 3rd grandchild were born into our multigeneration family and for some reason gardening became almost nonexistent as Nana mode took over :-) . Hoping to get back to my love of gardening this year and finally to the gardening blog I had had planned.
While my thumb has always been a good shade of green once plants were in the ground, propagation has always been haphazard for me, especially seed starting. Something always goes wrong inside...not started on time, forget to water, fungus, not enough light, whatever. So, winter sowing really has me excited! I have a ton of seeds saved up after not planting the past 2 years, so I will be getting my containers together that I have been collecting....milk jugs, peanut butter and ragu containers and you name it! Planting will start soon, though for many things I will have to wait since in our area we end up with many sunny days in the 60s and 70s in the middle of winter, followed by nits in the teens. I don't want to have to be bringing little frost tender veggies in and out too often, so will wait for most things until the first of March, like I would inside. Will plant my herbs and annuals soon, though. Thanks for taking over the zone wars because it looks like a blast! :-) God bless

o

I always wait until the first week in January because that is when I start getting bored. I have about 60 milk jugs saved so will start burning drainage holes in them next week.

We are getting another 8" of snow today to top off the 12" on the ground. I laid pallets on the concrete patio thinking I would get the jugs off the cement this year but now the pallets have so much snow on them and it is frozen solid. Oh well - it was an idea.

o

Well guess how I welcomed in the New Year? ;) Yes, I was winter sowing while watching The Conjuring movie! lol Winter sowed 26 more containers for a total of 37 containers! (zone 6) :) I hope something comes out of all this work! :)
~Michael
*fingers crossed*

o

4 more on Dec. 39. I have been down with flu since then. Only 7 so far.

o

8 more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 12.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I have sowed a total of 184 containers for zone 7. I even shoveled into some frozen wet dirt...yuck! It has been unseasonably cold here. :)

o

On the 72-cell flats....I can just cover them with plastic wrap, right?

o

I am up to 51 containers for zone 6 :)
~michael

Now that all the containers are under snow, I think I will take a break till I get done with a few more swaps before I do the rest of the perennials.

o

I finally got started! 18 jugs for zone 5. I've got many more jugs prepped and labeled. I just need to moisten the soil and fill the jugs. Each seed pack is even tucked into it's labeled jug. I'm so excited!

Martha Ording

o

I planted 9 more containers which brings my total to 27 for zone 5.

o

My first ever winter sowing attempt. I have a total of 22 containers started and I have about 20 more ready to fill up, I just need some more dirt. Will do the tender ones in March... The time seems to be flying by so maybe it will come sooner then I think :) Oh ya I am on the edge of zone 6/7.

o

• Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 22:53

Finally got started-planted 6 containers for a total of 6 in zone 5.

Thanks!

Rhonda

o

56 containers for me so far!

o

I have WS'ed 11 more containers, making for a total of 29 for me in zone 6.

o

I've sown 12 more jugs, for a total of 30 in zone 5. Many more to come. Good work everyone!

Martha

o

14 containers planted today here in Zone 7!

o

11 more today for a total of 41 in zone 5.

Martha

o

I winter sowed 29 containers so far for zone 7. Come on Zone 7 ws'ers! Fill those containers!

o

I have WS'ed 10 more containers for a total of 39 in Zone 6

o

7 more for a total of 48 in zone 5.

Martha

o

21 for zone 6 please.

o

Here's what I've got so far! Just added 4 new WS containers!

o

Planted 15 more for zone 7 for a personal total of 44.

o

I planted 14 more for a total of 198 for zone 7.

o

I'm starting late this year. Put me down for 12 in Zone 6. Thanks!

o

Hello!

Zone 5b, and I've 7 containers out so far! I'm just getting started now. :-)

o

Dan, thank you for keeping track!

This is my first year of winter sowing and I am so excited :D

I have winter sowed my first 23 containers (from the newbie seed program - yay!), zone 6

Purl

o

15 more for a total of 63 in zone 5.

Martha

o

First time winter sowing. I'm trying perennials, perennials and more perennials. I'll see what does well and do more of the same next year.

I currently have 10 containers in Zone 4.

I'm eating salads as fast as I can to get more containers! I forgot to save them up.

o

Vermontgirl,
If you need more containers, take a walk thru your neighborhood on recycle day and swipe milk jugs and other containers from bins set out along the road. If anyone asks, tell the truth or say they're for a child/grand child's school project.

Martha

o

I sowed 28 more containers, for a total of 212, for zone 7.

I have several sprouting. :):):)

o

Hi Dan-
Planted more 24 more-- total now 50.
Peg

o

12 more for me in zone 6 total of 68!

o

I put out 5 more containers, for a total of 15.

Docmom- thanks for the suggestion :) I think I'd have to go to the recycling center, though. My 'neighborhood' is 4 houses along a dirt road. We have to bring our own recycling to a central location. But I am going to go to my mom and sister's houses this week to pick through their recyclables ;)

o

Zone 6 just put out 34 large iced coffee cups out today in the 8 to 12 inches of snow. I am doing herbs this year lots of varieties.

o

zone 6, planted a total of 65 containers now! :)
~michael
heavenlyfarm

o

Sowed 22 more jugs for zone 7. 27 total so far for me.

o

Zone 6, just set out my first ever 9 jugs tonight!

o

Add 23 for me,for Zone 6.

o

Good work,everyone. We definitely don't have the same numbers of people involved on this forum as in prior years, but we can still have just as much fun. I should take pictures of my milk jugs and the take more as they begin to sprout. Typically, the warmer zones have planted most of their sprouts in the ground before mine start to germinate. Can any of you post pictures of your "pot ghettos"? Or even your sprouts? It's especially helpful for the newcomers to see what they can expect.

Martha

o

Make that 211....I could not recover the lid of one container that a dog chewed up. Grrrr

o

I can add 30 containers for zone 8.

o

Hello Winter Sowers!!

I am new to garden web & I am new to winter sowing!! That being said, I want to put Zone 4 on the map.

I figured I would try some hardy plants for my area and have started with some Lupins and Poppy selections. I am also going to try to be brave with some Prarie Smoke seeds that I received - so in total I have 6!!!

Waiting to see if Spring will bring on my green thumb :)

Spektor

o

2 for zone 7

o

I have sowed 8 more containers to bring my total to 47.

o

Just sowed 12 containers here in zone 7! I am so over this winter! Yarr!

o

Welcome, Spektor! Beware that most poppies don't like being transplanted, so I would try to get them into their permanent home as early as possible.

7 more for a total of 70 in zone 5.

Martha

o

As of 8:30am (EST) we have planted a total of 962 containers. Here is an update:
• Zone 7 has 431.
• Zone 6 has 313.
• Zone 5 has 167.
• Zone 8 has 30.
• Zone 4 has 21.
Additional Information:
• 0-10 containers: 7 people
• 11-19 containers: 3 people
• 20-29 containers: 5 people
• 30-39 containers: 3 people
• 40-49 containers: 2 people
• 50-59 containers: 1 person
• 60-69 containers: 2 people
• docmom has 70 containers
• strobe has 113 containers
• carolinaflowerlover has 211 containers for the lead.
Keep up the great work! And stay warm and happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zone_Wars_2013-2014

o

5 for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 17.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

15 for me in zone 5.

o

Seven milk jugs so far in my zone 7 back yard. Gathering more containers.

o

27 more for me for zone 5; bringing me up to 54 total. : )

o

pixie_lou Zone 5
30 containers today
30 containers total

I thought I was getting a late start this year, but my notes from last year show that I started on 29 January. So I guess I'm right on schedule!

I tried to look at the google spreadsheet, but permission was denied.

o

I just got 10 more planted for Zone 7 for a grand total of 54. Great to see so many folks planting in this cold weather. Jen

o

New to zone wars, though I think I saw a glimpse of last year's a few months ago. I've had my first 36 containers ever wintersowed outside right now for a couple of weeks here in zone 7. They're all covered in snow. But don't think I was planting them outside in this weather, Jen! Lol, I was right in my basement with a bag of dirt, some cut up juice containers, and a watering can! Though I wish I were, I just can't find it in me to be as tough as the rest of you if I don't have to be.

This post was edited by lovesblooms on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 17:57

o

I have a total of 226 containers now for zone 7.

o

I'm off to a slow start this year.

Please add 24 containers to Zone 6.

Thanks, Karen

o

6 more for me in Zone 6. My total is now 23.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

After counting the two liter bottles covered in snow in the yard, I drink too much soda.

Zone 7, 52 bottles, and my spring brassicas and lettuce are starting to show up!

o

pixie_lou Zone 5
18 containers today
48 containers total

Ran out of thawed potting soil today. Had to haul a new bag inside today.

o

Pixie, I have had trouble with frozen soil, too. I had to take a trowel and beat some a few weeks ago. I finally gave up and started storing it in the garage, albeit a little inconvenient. I am just not used to this cold...I am spoiled. :)

o

I'm at a total of 74 containers for zone 6 :) my formosan lily and spanish lavender seed trade came and I couldn't resist the urge to do two of each! lol
heavenlyfarm
~michael

I'm having trouble finding potting soil in bulk with all this snow recently!! Lowe's refuses to get Pro-mix ( haven't used yet but want to after a lot of recommendations) till Spring and neither them or Walmart or Kmart would give me potting soil as they either were keeping the outside closed up or its out of stock :( what the heck! next year, i have rubber-maids ready to stock up on soil before winter!
~michael

o

after checking the totals, i'm getting up there for being a newbie! yikes I need to slow down! lol I'm gonna be a busy bee when they need more work besides just watching the containers.
carolinaflowerlover, I would love to hear from you how you handle all those containers along with life itself! I'm curious how much it consumes peoples lives lol
~michael

o

lol I do not do much to manage them. I just collect containers from family/friends and plant when it is warm enough for me to stand it outside...then just let them be. It is only my second year, so I am paranoid that many may not come up--especially since our winter has been way crazier than normal. My life is pretty crazy/stressful (I take care of my elderly parents in addition to keeping up with my husband and daughter and dealing with moderate health issues), so this is my "therapy"...it really does calm me down (except when the neighbor dog got a hold of them--grrr), so I make great effort to put time into it. :) I do have pics...I need to see about posting them. They are up on tables to keep them from getting stepped on.

o

I put out 7 more for a total of 22 containers so far.

o

7 more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 30.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

pixie_lou Zone 5
38 containers today
86 containers total

This is my 3rd year winter sowing and I am becoming much more picky about my containers. I like 1 liter soda bottles for perennials, though I will also use 2 liter bottles, some half gallon milk jugs and some juice bottles. I just threw away a ton of misc containers. Which means I now need to prep a ton more soda bottles. Good thing we drink a ton of seltzer in the summer. And ws'ing is my excuse to drink more!

o

2 more for a total of 72 in zone 5.

Martha

o

Just planted my first jugs of the season, late start and much smaller end product planned for this season! 10 jugs for zone 5 for a total of 10 so far.

o

Finally got to start my winter sowing. Sowed 20 containers today, Zone 5

o

Dan, put me down for 5 more for a total of 17 in Zone 6.

Thanks!

o

Three more for zone 8, for a total of 33.

o

zone could be either 6 or 6a (NJ). I just put out 35 containers today, mostly veggies, and some flowers. And wouldn't you know it, there was 4+ inches of snow (I hope that is not a problem). Wish me luck - this is my first time starting so many seeds (winter sowing or otherwise).

o

pixie_lou Zone 5
29 containers today
115 containers total

Almost done with the perennials and biennials. Yay.

o

I sowed 15 more containers to bring my total to 62 so far : )

o

Please add 23 to my total Zone 6

that makes 91 total for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Cray Blog

o

Two more for zone 8 for a total of 35.

o

Wintersowing under snow photo 20140205wintersowingundersnow_zpsa222bf56.jpg

Add 44 for zone 5
Heidi in Nebraska

o

Planted the first 10 jugs today
Zone 8

o

Planted 10 containers on Jan 2
Planted 3 containers on Jan 25
For a total of 13 for zone 5. Was going to take a picture but buried under a foot of snow.

This post was edited by mori1 on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 19:25

o

Counting just containers ?
What are you guys actually sowing? I am just curious.

It would've been nice if you also named your seeds.

o

Seysonn,
There are a few separate threads where folk who wish to share their list are posting that information. For some, trying to list all that they sow can get time consuming. This is just a friendly "competition" to bring fellow wintersowers together.

Martha

o

I love winter sowing. Just kept procrastinating, then....i
finally got down to it. It's on now! This week I sowed 30
containers and there is a lot to go. I don't plan to over-
whelm myself because there is lots of work afterwards.
I only sow what I really like and what germinates well
for me.
What is the best time to start the marigolds and zinnas?
Mine did well last year.....can't remember when I started
them though. Happy Planting all!!

Margaret

o

Did 15 jugs today for zone 5, 25 total. I'm about half way through for the year already!

o

Hi! I just started my first ever WS project yesterday with 6 containers!

I'm excited to help represent for Zone 4!

This post was edited by FrugalFanny on Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 17:58

o

Sowed 21 gallon jugs (all flower seeds) this weekend and had to wade through snow over my knees to place them inside the garden fence where they'll be safe from my 2 dogs!

o

I winter sowed 16 more containers for zone 7. My total is now 70.

o

pixie_lou Zone 5
30 containers today
145 containers total

I just sowed them in my basement. Carried them upstairs and realized we got a foot of snow last week. So I now need to go outside and shovel an area to put these silly trays.

Done with the perennials. Get to take a break for a couple weeks until it's time to do the annuals.

o

This is my first attempt at Winter Sowing and I caught the bug! I have 15 jugs out so far for Zone 5.

o

55 for zone 6, please.
thank you!

o

My first year at winter sowing lots of different seeds. The weather here was warm today so I got 10 milk jugs planted and 8 planters with plastic covering them. Also my first year doing zone wars.

My total 18 zone 7.

Happy Gardening!!
Tammy

o

13 more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 43.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

First time wintersowing! Can't wait to see how it works and plan on doing more.

7 gallon jugs for zone 6.

o

I'm up to 9 jugs. First year winter sowing for me. It's been a cold winter so I'll say I'm in zone 5 since I'm on the border of 5b and 6a.

Rodney

o

30 more for me in zone 5, making a total of 84.

o

14 jugs this year so far. Only fill-in plants for me, and later some spring sowing of annuals and veggies... Trying to restrain myself this time around lol...

o

7 more jugs for a total of 14 - zone 6

o

Hi! I planted 4 more jugs today for a total of 10 for me in Zone 4. I still kind of feel like a harebrained gardener putting these babies out in the snowbank! It will seem like magic if anything comes up!

o

Sowed another 17 jugs today for a total of 37, Zone 5

o

Didn't get to post it last night but I did 20 more jugs zone 5 for a total of 45. Onesies twosies for the rest of the season....

o

Hi, put me down for 6 more in Zone 6 for a total of 23. That's it for perennials for me. I'll be doing my annuals and toms at the end of March. My container count goes down every year because I'm running out of room. A lot off these seedlings will go to the local plant swap. Thanks.

This post was edited by sandysoil_2008 on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 10:45

o

On the 15th and 17th I put out a total of 39 more containers for a total of 75. Temps are going up this week, so I'll be hovering over them excitedly every day for signs of my first winter sown sprouts--yay!--and then worrying when they sprout early about them surviving--yay again!

o

As of 2/19/14 I have a total of 93 jugs for Zone 6. More to come.

o

I sowed 69 more for a total of 295 for zone 7.

o

I have a total of 141 containers now for zone 6 :)
~michael
heavenlyfarm

P.S. Thats basically it for my first year lol I'm putting alot of faith in this method!! I will only be doing a few more in march/april for tomatoes :)

o

A friend have me more containers last night. :):);). I sowed nine more for a total of 304 for zone 7.

o

For zone 6: I sowed 40 containers so far.

o

I winter sowed 7 more for a total of 77 for zone 7.

o

For zone 6: I sowed another 40 containers for a total of 80. Makin' up for a late start.

(Rock on Zone 6!)

o

57 for zone 6, please.
total of 112.

thank you!

o

My first containers are out - 22 for zone 8a!

o

Do peas direct sowed into the containers they're to grow in count as winter sowed? If so, I sowed 16 containers this past weekend for a total of 91. Got to get out there and check for sprouts! Going cold again this week, so I figure I better sow the rest of the peas while I'm out there in case the ground freezes back up.

o

Back--sowed 8 more containers of peas (16 seeds each) for a total of 99 containers. No sprouts yet that I could see. Just as well--I'm not done winter sowing, and not ready to transition to nurturing seedlings yet!

o

11 more for a total of 21 in Zone 8

o

Sowed 20 more containers for zone 6. My total = 100.

o

This is so addicting! I have only been gardening 3.5 years. This is only my second year wintersowing. I have not had much success with seeds in the past (even with WS'ing last year), so I am sowing many to be safe. I am using way more milk jugs this year, too (though, I do have a bunch starting to sprout in the yogurt cups). I hope this keeps me from buying so many clearanced Lowes plants, though the vendors will surely miss me (they know my face way too well!). lol

So, 20% of ones planted before today are sprouting. :) I hope they will be ok! It has been a much colder winter than normal. It has warmed up a lot lately, though. Usually, March and April are pretty mild. They just need to hold on for six more weeks. :)

I planted 15 more today for a total of 319 for zone 7. Not sure if anyone is interested, but I attached pics.

photo 6c824420655ac52fd4533644c058188e.jpg

photo f80d4d72ab0cea490048f0037ecf2295.jpg

photo 3f33ab7a557ac0c883d1b32d87be3173.jpg

o

Wow, carolina! I just wish I even had the space to dream of sowing that many seeds!

Well I went out and added 18 more containers last night for a total of 117.

o

Three more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 46.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

32 more containers for zone 6. My total = 132.

o

30 more containers for zone 6. My total is now 54.
Karen

o

28 more containers for zone 6. My total = 160.

o

9 more for zone 6 for a total of 23.

o

Please add 14 more, for a total of 76. Thank you : )

o

21 more containers for me in zone 5, for a total of 105.

Gotta say, I love winter sowing....but I kind of thought at some point winter would end so the seeds I started could actually sprout. ; ) This is my first year and the anticipation is killing me.

o

10 more for zone 6

o

Sowed 22 containers for Fairfax, VA Zone 7 (but with this year's cold; it is more like zone 6).

o

I have winter sowed 12 in zone 7a.

o

Yesterday was a winter sow cramming session. I sowed 177 containers between then and this morning for a total of 294.

This post was edited by lovesblooms on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 12:10

o

Zone 6, 18 WS milk jugs started.

Here is a link that might be useful: DW's Blog

o

Four more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 50.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Hi Dan, great job! They’ve told you, haven’t they, that a gw thread only holds 150 posts and after that you will need to start a new thread? Some kind of numbering is nice for the different threads of zone wars. Posts were up to 147 when I logged in.

I am so glad you were able to revise the spreadsheet and get the new one posted. Sorry that I never saw your original share request.

You set up a new e-mail address, which is great, but your e-mail from your new e-mail address went to my junk mail folder. I kept looking for e-mail from the address that docmom had given me and never saw it!

I try to send a copy from the e-mail address where someone’s expecting me and also from a new e-mail address, and explain, so I do not fall by the wayside. A huge modern day problem! I will wintersow some more and post when the rain finally stops. Ice, snow, rain, what a winter. Thanks!

o

Zone 6, 25 containers. We started on November 22 and brought some into the greenhouse on Jan 24. Here is some Liatris from Docmom.

o

Wow great sprouts! Getting a late start this year, please put down 10 containers for me in zone 5.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here