Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomerrol

soiless mix

tomerrol
12 years ago

Will a soiless mix of peat, vermiculite, perilite, gypsum be ok for winter sowing?? also if it has wetting agent added to it?

I can get this at a pretty good buy

thanks

Tom

Comments (6)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Here's the composition of Fafard Professional Growers mix: Contains sphagnum peat moss, horticultural perlite, horticultural vermiculite, a wetting agent, and incorporates a full complement of starter nutrients.

I just Googled the name and found a site that lists the contents of both Pro-Mix and Fafard. Essentially they're identical. Neither one lists gypsom.

Also said: "Use for seeds, plugs, cuttings, flowering plants, bedding plants, hanging baskets, foliage plants, and interiorscaping."

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Is this a brand name product that indicates on the bag it is for plants (not seed sowing) in containers? That is the type product you want.

If the first ingredient listed is the bulk of the product, the peat - it sounds like a basic potting soil (soilless) formula. And should be fine for winter sowing.

The wetting agent would aid in water up take through bottom watering if that is your choice, and the gypsum to adjust the PH back closer to neutral.

• tomerrol
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the bag says almost the same as Eileens does. it does have a small amount of lime, and small amount of starter fertilizer. it says for bedding plants, potting plants and can be used for germination of seeds. this is from a well known horticulture company here local.
    thanks for the info
    Tom

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I'm guessing "small amount of starter fertilizer" is about equal to/much the same as Fafard's "a full complement of starter nutrients." Should work fine for winter sowing, but then again, MiracleGro Moisture Control Potting Mix is also what some folks use with success. Just use it generously--winter sown plants have huge root systems. A newbie recently emailed me pictures of prepped WS jugs with only an inch or two of mix asking if that was "too much dirt."

So Tom - are you about ready to WS your first container?

• terrene
    12 years ago

Agree with others, sounds like the same ingredients as the Pro-mix BX that I've used the last couple years: Peat - 75-85%, Vermiculite, Perlite, Lime, wetting agent, and the mychorrizal fungi (which is only good for 6 months).

I think any basic good quality soil-less mix will work pretty well with winter-sown seedlings, especially since they don't (usually) stay in the containers all that long.

• tomerrol
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yes Eileen, I am ready (I think) I have about 75 gallon jugs with drainage holes, and cut.I have the first 50 seeds picked out to be sowed first. I now have close to 200 gallon jugs and lots of 2 liter bottles. I tell you, those 2 neighbor boys has really been bringing me the jugs! plus I have 5 other people saving them since they know what I am doing. The reason I chose this soiless mix is its only $11.00 for 3 cu. ft. they sell to all the green houses around here and also ship all over the country. so they are honest people, a family operation.
    thanks again for the info from all
    Tom

Sponsored