Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

The Solstice Is Near! Have You Picked Out Your Seeds?

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Like you all, I am pondering which seeds to sow on the Solstice. I definitely know that they'll all be perennials. Here are a few seeds that I'm thinking about sowing.

Columbine

Joe Pye Weed

Boneset

Milkweed or Butterfly Weed

Maltese Cross

Rose Campion

Penstemon

The Joe Pye Weed and Boneset are two that stick out in my mind as what to plant for Mother Nature or Life. Oh well, I'll figure it out before the Solstice! lol

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (10)

• leisa_in_md
    12 years ago

The ones I recall off the top of my head:

Shasta Daisy, Gloriosa Daisy (daisies to remember my Grandmother, who loved Daisies)
    Strawflower
    Bachelor buttons
    Alyssum
    Echinacea (seeds for the birds in fall)
    Delphinium (my seeds for faith - this will be the 3rd year to try! So far no luck)

I've never tried tree seeds, except butterful bush, and I have too many to sow more!

It's been so unusually warm here though! I'm wondering if I should wait until January/February to sow.

• ibheri
    12 years ago

I live in pearland, tx. This is my first yr of WS. I got seeds from bakemom. I was planning to wait till Jan. Kindly advise.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

It's like 66 degrees here! You all still WS in this warm weather?

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

If you're sowing perennials which really need a cold period for germination it doesn't matter when you sow them. Mother Nature will take her time to have them sprout the next warm season following the required cold period. Isn't she wonderful?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

ibheri, what did you receive that you are planning to sow?
    I just checked your 7 day forecast, and its telling me days in the mid 50's to low 60's (and that makes me jealous), lows right about 40F. I can think of some perennials that would like a period with days cooler than that (your nights are fine), and some annuals that might possibly just germinate... Will it typically stay this warm into January or will you have some days chillier than that in Jan and Feb....

• roper2008
    12 years ago

I'm still waiting to see what I get from the wintersowing swap, then
    I will order online. What I know I will be wintersowing is:

Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer'
    Coreopsis 'Mahogany Midget'
    Love in a midst 'African Bride'
    Salvia 'Blue Cloud'
    Agastache 'Fragrant Delight'
    Agastache 'Apricot Sprite'
    Agastache 'Astello Indigo'
    Salvia 'Patio Deep Blue'
    Nicotania's
    Blue ballon flower

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Thanks to tomva and a few others, here are the seeds I'll be sowing:

Life - Kolkwitzia amabilis/Beauty bush
    Remembrance - Cornus kousa/white flowering dogwood
    Mother Nature - Acer palmatum/Japanese red maple
    Leap of Faith - Crocosmia/Montbretia 'Lucifer'

It's supposed to chill down the next week or so with daytime temps staying in the low 40's so I'm going on the assumption it'll be in the 30's by the solstice. I'm too close to Z5 to relax when it comes to growing things that are hardy only to Z6 but with winter sowing, I know they've got a much better chance.

Anybody else planning to dance nekkid?

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Well, yeah. And for those folks who are modest, remember that you are nekkid under your clothes, so feel free to celebrate any way you can.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I'm not particularly modest in my own garden, but admit to being a real wimp when it comes to the cold temps we've been having. Just taking out the recycle things with wet hair - and fully clothed - felt plenty nekkid enough for me this morning, I didn't warm up again for about a half hour.

We have an eclipse of the moon scheduled for between 4 - 6 AM, the moon is bright and full right now but clouds are forecast in the next few hours too. I wish it could be taking place in a couple of weeks, would certainly add some mystery and interest to a solstice celebration.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Out of respect for time-honored New England tradition, I fully intend to be dancing nekkid on the solstice...

...fully clothed inside my L. L. Bean corduroys, thermal underwear, layers of polar fleece, wrapped in a knitted woolen shawl and clutching a woolen afghan around my shoulders. My fingers will, of course, be free to winter sow, poked through the holes in the tips of my insulated gloves...

...if I'm feeling frivolous, I might even nudge the thermostat up to 63...

...nah, that's just decadent!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH