{{gwi:216668}}

Carry on!

Vera

Comments (52)

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Newbie_in_nj,

I don't follow spacing most times....tiny seed I just sprinkle over the surface and thin out as I plant out later. Bigger seeds I just space because it's easier and I like neat rows; big seeds like sunflowers, morning glory, ect usually mean big seed leaves too LOL!

This Quince came from the seed of a Chaenomeles speciosa that had deep pink-red flowers and tennis ball size fruits. It was only 2 years old this year and I won't be around to see it flower because I'm moving! I got the seeds from overly ripe fruits on school campus December of 2005 and wintersowed them January 2006; it may or may not be a hybrid..I couldn't tell ya!
    I'm scouting out sources of seed for the new place, but so far can only locate C. japonica and F1 hybrid C x superba cultivars They are short lived where they are prone to fire blight and apple scab.

Vera

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

May I add Hosta Francis Williams Babies???

{{gwi:354622}}

• MissMyGardens
    16 years ago

Vera...now you've really got me going. You planted seeds from over ripe fruit you picked up off the ground and got that flowering quince? I'm speechless...well, not nearly.

I still find it absolutely amazing!

Glad I'm not the only one who likes neat rows. I know it's not exactly the "devil may care" characteristic of winter sowing but I'll need all the order I can get ahead of sprouting and then planting out time. Friends & family are laughing at me because they know I give plants and planting (and my yard birdies) more TLC than they think is necessary and think I'll be crazed by the time these babies sprout!

I still can't believe all this planting and growing and just "nature" was going on all around me and until I found this forum it didn't have the impact on me it has now. Sounds corny but it's sincere.

Tiffy...I was thinking of using styrofoam cups like yours for things like poppies that I might want to let get a little more solitary roots under their belts before planting out. That set up you've got in what looks like one of those Yaffa Blocks or bath totes is a great way to keep them corraled. Then you put relatively heavy plastic bag with your drainage and transpiration holes. Neat, tidy and easily identifiable. I love it. Are those "grow bags" in the left container? I've seen them in some online gardening catalogues and thought they might be interesting and economical to try. Or are they ordinary brown paper lunch bags? If they're lunch bags I'd feel pretty dumb going and buying something that serves the same purpose and are already sitting on the shelf in the laundry room...LOL.

Ya know, there's probably more "stuff" sitting around the house that isn't being used that can be put to good use for WS.

Boy would I get brownie points for actually getting something OUT of the house instead of bringing more stuff into it for all this winter sowing...LOL.

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tiffy...you're hosta are still my envy lol!! So cute!

newbie,

No, the fruit were picked off of the shrub :D

• dancinglemons
    16 years ago

Vera,

Those are fantastic. I can't wait for some of mine to sprout. This will be my first year WS and I am over the top obsessed with it.

DL

• dem_pa
    16 years ago

Four years ago when I started winter sowing, donn_ had his instructions posted and I copied them. I have used them ever since. Thanks donn_.

These were taken April of this year. 4" up mark for arch window on opposite sides of handle. Drainage holes in the botttom. I use a piece of mini-blind tied to the handle with a number on it to identify the contents of the jug. (With a corresponding entry in a book) Plastic bag with hole cut in top for openning for snow and rain.
    {{gwi:455756}}

These needed ventilation and planting.

{{gwi:455757}}

dem_pa

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

newbie in nj,

I haven't purchased anything for winter sowing in a couple of years and I use a lot of what's available in the house. In term of plastics to cover the containers, I use milk bags, the plastic inside cereal boxes, plastic covering paper towel when bought, clear grocery bags, etc. There is so much plastic around the house and especially in the kitchen. So you are right on that point! :O)

The styro cups were bought three years ago. I reuse every year. The plastic baskets were bought at the same time.

Vera, I too love that picture. They are soo cute! :O)

• carrie630
    16 years ago

Even though many of us are not newbies, vera - those photos are really helpful for some of us who have NOT sown the variety you have pictured. Thanks so much for the great info -

Carrie

• lindakimy
    16 years ago

How about bachelor buttons in January?

{{gwi:455758}}

• carmen_grower_2007
    16 years ago

Thanks, Vera ---- those pictures have me very inspired. I also am in Z4/5 and remember we had a very late period of hard frost last spring. It killed all of my cherry blossoms. What happens to the containers full of seedlings when that happens?

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Most of the early sprouters are perfectly frost hardy carmen! Our average last frost date here is May 12-15th; last year we had "hard frosts" at low to mid 20's thru mid to late April. Usually the April cold snap comes after a warm/mild March. From May 1st on I've never seen hard frosts..maybe light ones at 32, but rare.
    These are some of the earliest (early March thru early april) I've had that coulda cared less plus a some of these were already planted in the ground during this without protection or in open containers:
    Hollyhock, Foxglove, Chives, Nepeta,Garlic Chives, Snapdragon, Vinidium, Linaria, Agastache foeniculum, Hyssopus officinalis, Columbine,Blue Sea Holly,Scabiosa Asinaria, Aster laevis, Lavender,Cerinthe major, Shasta Daisy,Clarkia, 4 O'clock, Penstemon, Petunia, Delphinium Sunflower, and of course the broccoli, chard, mustard, collards, peas and kale!
    Now these early sprouters suffered damage or died, but had more germination after the April cold snap: Zinnia, Cosmo, Marigold, Cypress Vine, Tithonia and I'm not remembering due to the fact that last year was my first recording in a database!
    Dem_pa,
    Most of my containers were prepared like your's last year except I used gal. ziplocks and just pulled them over the top with a cut out for the mouth of the jug. I did the number thing too only I just wrote on the containers and recorded :D

Vera

• lblack61
    16 years ago

Carmen,
    You can just let them be-- if any seedlings get killed off, there are usually seeds that haven't sprouted yet that are waiting to do their thing...
    ...but being in Zone 5 (and close to Zone 4, with unpredictable Spring weather), I always have a tarp on hand if I have a lot of sprouting containers and the weatherman predicts a frost. It's an easy way to cover (and uncover) several containers at once. But sometimes, I do just let them be. Depends on how much faith is in me at the moment...lol.
    I also noticed that when I set several containers in a Sterlite or Rubbermaid bin, even with the cover off, the frost doesn't touch them (because the frost is an effect of the air and ground?) So that's another option. --I usually turn to Sterlite bins when I start getting lots of seedlings and have to prepare for the possibility of watering them (because then I can also water many containers at once).

Linda

Linda

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

WOW I just love this thread, it has given me sooo much inspiration and information, thanks to you all for the pictures and info...I am getting excited about starting!!

• burry
    16 years ago

Can you explain why you have bags around the milk cartons? Is that done initially and then they are taken off later? Thanks for clarifying.

I love the looks of your little plants!

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

burry...

Some people just cut their jugs in half and then tape around. In spring the lids can be propped as need be with a clothspin or whatever.
    These jugs with the plastic baggie over than had just a window cut out in the front (dem_paw made two windows) where the seeds are sowed thru that. In spring you can lift the bag up or down as you need it :D
    It's just a preference thing.
    I used sturdier zip lock and just cut a hole in bottom center for the mouth of the jug and pulled it down over to the bottom but did not zip. I had to make about a 1/2 slit on each seem to make them slide over easy.
    {{gwi:340412}}
    {{gwi:340411}}

• burry
    16 years ago

Hi Vera,

So with the milk cartons, I could cut it in half (almost) and retape and then prop open in the spring or cut a flap or window now, but cover the carton with a bag or ziplock bag? Which do people think is easier?

Thanks,
    Burry

• gardenluv
    16 years ago

{{gwi:455759}}
    {{gwi:455761}}
    {{gwi:455762}}

• gardenluv
    16 years ago

Sorry for the large pics! Those were some of my successes from last year

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What do you think would be easier for you is the question? :D
    Either way works for me, but last year my dh came home from Costco with a HUGE box of gal. size zip locks...120 bags. Little did he know I was going to use them for wintersowing LOL!!
    When you cut in half (if that's what you do) just leave a hinge at the handle and it's not necessary to take ALL the way around...believe me it was a pain un-taping. A piece of duct tape or two vertically on the seam is good enuff!
    I like using butter containers (or that type or bigger) too and using the lid to hold clear plastic down tightly.

• gardenluv
    16 years ago

I tried several diffent ways last year and found that milk jugs were my favorite. It was easier for me to just leave the hinge and then tape it closed. Trying to use a window and cover with plastic was way too much work for me, but that is just my 2 cents.

• PVick
    16 years ago

Wow! I'm inspired - and this will be my 7th year of wintersowing!

I'm trying milk jugs for the first time this year, the half-gallon size. In the past, I've used 4-in pots covered with plastic bags, but I summer-sowed sweet william in a milk jug and liked the ease of it. Drank a lot of milk this summer -- and it shows! hehehe ....

PV

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

gardenluv, can you please tell me what type of plant the second picture is ??

Vera, thanks so much for the pics and info...you all are such a wealth of info...I have been collecting containers and plan on getting started next week..

When you all transplant the seedlings(from the containers to the ground), what have you found is the best way to water them ?? I know when I have them inside, I have to be soo careful even misting them will knock some down...so Id love to hear some suggestions..

• laurelin
    16 years ago

{{gwi:361854}}
    WS snapdragons against alchemilla (which I've tried to WS twice, and failed both times - I had to buy this one).

{{gwi:455763}}
    White poppies and alyssum, very delicate and serene.

{{gwi:412878}}
    WS zinnias, and a monster - Verbascum bombyciferum. Yep, the monster was winter sown too, in 2006. It made a furry-leaved rosette the first year, then reached for the sky this year.

{{gwi:361824}}
    WS Dianthus 'Chianti.' I loved this flower, and I hope the plant does well this year.

{{gwi:361822}}
    WS Echinacea 'White Swan,' from my first year of winter sowing in 2005, blooming this summer.

Laurel

• kilngod
    16 years ago

Milk jugs with flaps rule. Hold the flap open, dump the soil in. Pick it up by the handle, strong as an ox. No tape, no flop, no aligning/twisting/attaching anything. Fast and no fuss. That's all I have to say about that. :) Vive le "upsidedown U"!

(Hey Laurel,
    Do you have any seeds from that Bears Breaches behind the Ech. White Swan? Yummm, wanna trade?)

• wendy2shoes
    16 years ago

I'm a 2 litre pop bottle girl myself (possibly because we don't get our milk in jugs here in Ontario!)
    {{gwi:354300}}
    But..they work well too!
    {{gwi:455764}}

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

flwrs4ever, the flower in the second pic is nigella--or love in a mist. It always produces lots of seeds and if you are interested, I have some.
    I am loving all the pics in this thread!!
    Lois

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Wendy,

I love to see pictures of your gardens. They are OH! so beautiful!!

I must ask about three plants and what they are.
    1. The tallest red? An Amaranth of sorts?
    2. The second tallest red/burgundy in front of the shrub to the right of the tallest red? Another Amaranth?
    3. And between them in front is a blue flowering plant. What's that one?

Again, BEEEEAUTIFUL!

• clumsygrdner
    16 years ago

Okay! I'm officially inspired!

• LindaMA
    16 years ago

Oh my, Wendy, your garden is very inspiring, I'm sitting here looking at it and wondering if my new perennial bed is as large as yours. I have so many things I want to grow this summer and I'm hoping that I'm going to have enough room;)

Linda

• PVick
    16 years ago

A wee bit of inspiration for the container gardeners among us:

{{gwi:455765}}

One of my favs from last year'sWS:

{{gwi:441931}}

PV

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

PV,

WOW on the Salvia! Do you get Hummingbirds checking it out?

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Kilngod,
    I'm sorry, I didn't save seed from that bear's breeches. I checked a couple of the seed pods in October and saw nothing remotely resembling seeds, but that might just mean I wasn't observant enough. I've never winter sown them, this one was from a plant exchange a couple years ago. There are still pods on the plant (I haven't cut it down), so if you want some I can send you a handful. Just let me know.

A couple more pictures, just for fun:
    {{gwi:361823}}
    Nicotiana 'Fragrant Cloud'

{{gwi:361852}}
    Yellow columbine, sown in 2006, photo from 2007.

{{gwi:412876}}
    Dianthus 'Victoriana' (a mix of many old-fashioned patterns, so this is only one possibility).

Laurel

• hengal
    16 years ago

Wendy2shoes -

What is that beautiful tall red plant at the back or your bed???

• chrisd4421
    16 years ago

Hi everyone....
    I am new to WS. I have been thing of direct sowing but someone pointed me toward WS and in reading, I think I am hooked.

Being new to this, I have some relatively simple questions....

I like the milk jug idea the best because my family are big milk drinkers. I have seen many other containers but my qestion basically applies to all container types...

I can either cut the entire jug in half, soil, water,sow, tape back up, put in a plastic bag (up to the cap), uncap the jug and wait until the first few days of warmer weather when I take the platic off, and on warmer days, untape the jug and prop open the container for a few hours...

OR - I have take the jug, cut an upside doen "U" in it (or 2), go through all the steps up until the warmer days, and when I take the plastic off, just prop open teh "windows" for a few hours...

Is this generally correct? When do I leave it open entirely? How long until I transplant? Can I tranplant directly into the flower/veggie beds?

Thanks in advance!!

chris from NJ

• PVick
    16 years ago

Tiffy - no hummingbird visitors to the salvia (I wish!), but my balcony had a lion's share of butterflies and bees this year!!

laurelin - that dianthus is beeyootiful!

chris - when you cut the the milk jug, you don't cut the top off entirely, leave it attached a bit by the handle (from your post, wasn't sure if that was clear). If you cut the jug that way, you won't need to cover it with a plastic bag. If you cut the "U" flap, you will need to cover it - put the plastic over the jug, with the cap stem sticking out thru a hole in the bottom of the plastic bag and secure the open end at the bottom of the jug with tape.

When your sprouts appear and the days get warmer, you can tilt up the top of the jug - or pull up the plastic bag from the "U" - for as long as you feel comfortable doing so. When you leave it open entirely is dependent on your weather; if you tend to get late freezes, you'll want to keep the tops handy for a quick coverup. But WS seedlings have been known to survive thru those late freezes or snowfall, so again, it all depends on your own comfort zone.

As for transplanting - yes, you can transplant directly into the beds. Most folks transplant when the seedlings have their second set of true leaves; yes, they'll be teeny, but they will survive!

PV

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

I miss summer already! Thank you for those beautiful pictures, everyone.
    tiffy, are those hosta babies true to their parent? They are so cute.
    pvick, I am going to sow Salvia this year. The color will blind me, but boy, oh boy. It's uplifting in this foggy city today. :-)

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

Tiffy: The hummingbirds LOVE the Yvonne's salvia.

{{gwi:432407}}

{{gwi:366985}}

{{gwi:455766}}

{{gwi:351444}}

{{gwi:455767}}

{{gwi:309592}}

Of course, they don't mind sugar water either
    {{gwi:432426}}

Karen

• PVick
    16 years ago

Darn it, Karen! Send some of those my way! Great pics!

PV

• LindaMA
    16 years ago

PV, please tell me the name of those pink flowers, both the pink and white shorter ones and the taller straight pink ones, they're beautiful. Great photos!

You were my inspiration for container gardening when I lived in my 2nd floor apartment and used my back deck as a container garden. Now I have my own home but still intend to plant containers of flowers all around my yard.

Linda

• kilngod
    16 years ago

Laurelin -- those pods may have already "sprung" their seeds everywhere (they really do pop and shoot them far). If you end up with any volunteers, maybe we can trade come spring, I may have some things of your interest then.

Chris - I do the upsidedown U flap have haven't used the plastic bags at all. If the whole door area is cut out like a window that bag is definately necessary. I open the flaps when it seems like things are gonna cook in there (if things start looking wilty -- OPEN and water well. Basicly just guess, I'm only on my second year of this, too. Wing it.)

I neeeeeed to get some of this Yvonnes Salvia. It is to die for.

Wendy, that garden is amazing! I have copied your photo and will refer to it often this spring. :)

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

Hi Chris, So glad to see you here. Welcome to WS and the mad house. :-)
    You got the idea. Hope pvick & kilngod have given you enough information to get started. You can always start a new thread with your questions. You'll get more answers. Good luck.

• PVick
    16 years ago

Linda - the short pink and white ones are Asiatic lilies 'Lollipop'. Not technically WSed, but they were planted in winter - LOL! The taller pink ones are Shirley poppies.

Good luck with your new home - I envy you!

PV

• wendy2shoes
    16 years ago

Been busy (my birthday yesterday). The tall red plant is Bishop's Plume Amaranth. (Pinch it for lower, bushier plants). The Blue is good old Ageratum, but not the dwarf variety.
    Happy New Year everyone! Hoping to count some birds tomorrow. (Saw a Bald Eagle last year!)

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

Happy belated birthday,Wendy.
    Happy new year everyone.
    Thanks for all the great inspirational pics!! :)

• carrie630
    16 years ago

{{gwi:428911}}

{{gwi:361767}}

{{gwi:421138}}
    {{gwi:361769}}

(Gotta have those poppies!)

Carrie

• thehills
    16 years ago

Your gardens are exquisite! Wendy2 & Carrie630, are all the flowers shown in your large beds wintersown? And were they wintersown that same year? I am guessing this is a rather silly question for all the vets out there, but if they were I am truly inspired! And will have to start searching the recycle bins for more containers. It is my first year and I have 10 jugs started. Thanks so much to everyone for sharing all your experiences, and inspiring photos. Happy New Year. thehills

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurelin,

I LOVE those Dianthus!
    As usually Wendy and Carrie, I'm inspired by your beautiful gardens!! Everyones pics are too-die-for :D

Vera

• carrie630
    16 years ago

With my pictures - everything but the sedum was wintersown -
    Here's another example of wintersown flowers;

{{gwi:198410}}

• bramasole
    16 years ago

Wow. I am speechless. If I can ever pull off half of what those pics look like without having to buy plants, I'll be in heaven!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info Wendy. I think I'll try the Amaranth again this year.

Karen, Karen, Karen. I have to get seeds of those this year and see if they will grow here. I have several feeders around the property and they do go for the Honeysuckle and the Penstemon, but those pictures are AWESOME!

Carrie,
    I so enjoy the pictures of your gardens!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH